Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 08:01:11 PM
714456 Posts in 53097 Topics by 7742 Members
Latest Member: KathleneKa
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  Thor (2011) - yes yes yes « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Thor (2011) - yes yes yes  (Read 8550 times)
Archivist
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« on: April 25, 2011, 05:26:50 AM »

Unless there's another thread somewhere, I guess this will be the first post from a viewer.

Thor opened in Australia on the 21st.  It is now the 25th and I have seen it twice.  It is that good.

I found myself really engaged by this movie.  The direction and scriptwriting are very tight, with almost no wasted scenes or movement, and everything rolls along very smoothly.  The characterizations are excellent; Chris Hemsworth is a great Thor, impulsive and brash and yet noble at the same time.  Tom Hiddleston wears Loki well, and shows his roots as a stage actor doing Shakespeare and other stage plays.  The special effects are good without being overbearing, and from what I understand it stays pretty close to the comics while updating aspects.

There were a few bits and pieces to the movie that I only noticed after thinking about it.  Natalie Portman's character isn't particularly strong.  Not in in the sense of character or physical strength, but in the sense that it seems only there to help Thor's character do things.  Her character isn't exactly wishy washy, but almost.  It seems that the scriptwriters wanted 'human' to be really obvious when compared with the Asgardians, who seem larger than life and are given a lot of screen time.

Any Kat Dennings fans will be disappointed that she stays completely covered up for the entire movie.  Not a bosom in sight.   TeddyR  She's given a slightly dorky librarianish character, glasses and woolen beanie and everything.

Anthony Hopkins is just great.  That's all I can say about him.  Just great.

I only know about Thor from a few comics like Secret Wars (1980's) and what I have read on wikipedia, so I came into this pretty fresh.  I had no expectations about what the characters should be like, and I was very pleasantly surprised.  It's not quite like Iron Man, but I would rate it was one of the best Marvel movies to date.  I was all set to be disappointed due to flops like Spiderman 3, The Punisher (new movies), but my hopes were tentatively up due to the X-Men movies.  I think Marvel Studios really score with Thor.

"Many others since have tried & failed at making a watchable parasite slug movie" - LilCerberus
The Burgomaster
Aggravating People Worldwide Since 1964

« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2011, 11:27:45 AM »

I'm looking forward to it!

"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone."
Hammock Rider

« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2011, 11:26:53 AM »

By Heimdall's Horns I'm psyched!!

Jumping Kings and Making Haste Ain't my Cup of Meat
InformationGeek
Leader of the Friends' for Info
B-Movie Site Webmaster

Let's all be Friends.

« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2011, 08:32:12 PM »

I'm going to try to see it opening day.  I was scared away by the bad press with Sucker Punch, so I'm going to try to see this on opening day instead.  Hoping it will be good since I'm taking one of my cousins to it.

We live in quite an interesting age. You can tell someone's sexual orientation and level of education from just their interests.
InformationGeek
B-Movie Site Webmaster

Let's all be Friends.

« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2011, 09:31:13 PM »

Okay, I just got back from a while ago.  First time I ever saw a movie on opening day, so that's pretty cool as well.  Though I'm surprised not all of the seats were filled, even at the 3D screening I saw.  I dunno.

So, how was it you may ask.  Well to answer that question, it was great.  It was a great film and the perfect way to open the summer blockbuster year.  It also hyped me for the upcoming Captain America and Avengers movie coming later on.  Here's hoping that it'll be just as good.

I won't talk about the plot to avoid spoilers and talk about the rest, but the plot was very solid and enjoyable.  Acting wise, it was good and everyone turned in a decent performance, though a couple of giggle worthy moments did crop up.  All the special effects looked and the settings were incredible to look at.  The only complaint was that one of the mechincal machines looked a bit faked when the sun shined directly on it.  Action was solid and enjoyable, though there were a few edits that looked bad.

Overall; it was great movie ,with an occasion problem, and I had a blast watching it.  Here's hoping the rest of the season's films will be just as good, but that's unlikely considering The Smurfs are on the horizon...

We live in quite an interesting age. You can tell someone's sexual orientation and level of education from just their interests.
Ted C
Bad Movie Lover

Turn Up the Evil!

« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2011, 02:06:09 PM »

I was very pleased with Thor. Nice execution of character arcs for the hero and even for the villain.

The Destroyer was nerfed for the movie pretty much as I expected, so be ready for that if you're a comic book purist.

"Slugs?  He created slugs? I would have started with lasers, six o'clock, day one!" -- Evil, Time Bandits
hudders
Excuse me while I waffle.
Dedicated Viewer

« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2011, 10:25:34 AM »

I think it's unfortunate that they're rushing out all the individual avenger movies so quickly. They should take their time and establish the characters before launching into the Avengers movie.
InformationGeek
B-Movie Site Webmaster

Let's all be Friends.

« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2011, 01:23:39 PM »

I think it's unfortunate that they're rushing out all the individual avenger movies so quickly. They should take their time and establish the characters before launching into the Avengers movie.

Umm... these movies are establishing the characters so we know them before the main event arrives.

The Burgomaster

« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2011, 03:17:41 PM »

Every time I read the "yes, yes, yes" part of the subject line it makes me horny.   TeddyR

"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone."
dean

« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2011, 06:16:19 AM »

I enjoyed it, and it places itself quite well within the Marvel universe that Marvel are trying to develop, which would invigorate the genre muchly.  I'm not the biggest Avengers fan but there's only so long you can go making individual superhero pictures without them either running out of villains or the whole 'I'm a unique creature in the world' becomes a bit silly [you're a superhero who is alone in the world yet there's so many villains??]  That's why they're one up on DC at the moment, not that I mind their pics either.

Thor was well put together with some funny moments and some terrific effects work.  It also benefits from having a main villain that you could feel sympathetic for and could easily be developed as an anti-hero if they wanted to go in a different direction to the norm [not that they will or should]

------------The password will be: Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch
Archivist

« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2011, 08:43:52 PM »

Every time I read the "yes, yes, yes" part of the subject line it makes me horny.   TeddyR

"I'll watch what HE's watching!"  TeddyR

Marvel Studios seem to be operating with a fairly well defined plot arc regarding the Avengers, what with all the little post-trailer scenes and other tie-in references.  The scene at the end of Iron Man regarding Thor's hammer, and the scene at the end of Thor that sets us up most likely for the Avengers movie itself.  I praise Merrill Lynch for investing so much money into Marvel Studios for ten movies.

"Many others since have tried & failed at making a watchable parasite slug movie" - LilCerberus
hudders
Excuse me while I waffle.
Dedicated Viewer

« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2011, 07:24:55 AM »

Umm... these movies are establishing the characters so we know them before the main event arrives.

Exactly. It's happening too quickly.

For the majority of the movie-going public, most of these characters wont be familiar. They're not being given the time to settle into the public's consciousness. The Avengers is supposed to be the coming together of an all-star cast of superheroes but if nobody knows who they are, what's the point?
Hammock Rider

« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2011, 10:57:40 AM »

I didn't mind the changes they made. If they kept it 100% true to the comic I think it would have come off a little more "Clash of the Titans" which i don't think they wanted. That would have been good too, and actually I would have liked to have seen how they resolve the existence of Norse gods alongside Christianity, Judaism etc.  Be that as it may, I still thought they delivered an entertaining movie. I thought the acting was good and there was some decent humor. The after credits scene was fun and I think this movie featured Stan lee's best cameo ever. Thumbup

Jumping Kings and Making Haste Ain't my Cup of Meat
The Burgomaster

« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2011, 11:37:29 AM »

Saw it Saturday and enjoyed it very much.  I'm in a comic book mood.  Bring on Green Lantern, Conan, and Captain America.

InformationGeek
B-Movie Site Webmaster

Let's all be Friends.

« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2011, 12:12:08 PM »

... actually I would have liked to have seen how they resolve the existence of Norse gods alongside Christianity, Judaism etc.

If I remember so, the Norse gods aren't really gods.  They are superhuman people from another plane of existances that came to earth long, long ago to fight those ice people attacking the world.  People worshiped them for saving them and they had abilities and techonology far superior to any of the people at the time.

Pages: [1] 2
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  Thor (2011) - yes yes yes « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.