Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 10:36:57 PM
714392 Posts in 53096 Topics by 7742 Members
Latest Member: KathleneKa
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Green Lantern (2011) « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Green Lantern (2011)  (Read 6151 times)
akiratubo
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« on: June 17, 2011, 08:13:05 PM »

Some parts of it are good, some parts of it feel very rushed, like they ran out of time, money, or both.  A lot of things just feel undeveloped.  Ryan Reynolds's performance is also rather odd.  For about half the movie, he's in full Van Wilder mode.  For the other half, he's actually trying.  Thing is, it's not like he's an immature jerk at the beginning and matures as the movie goes on.  His personality swings occur at random throughout the movie.  Could it be that no one had an idea how he should act until shooting was already well underway?

There are a lot of unnecessary scenes and one of the villains could have been chucked without affecting things that much.

On the plus side, the final battle is good, although the means by which the villain is defeated are rather lame.  (And why didn't anyone just do that the first time it attacked?)  The cosmic evil's attack on Earth has a higher body count than I was expecting.  The scenes on Oa with the Corps are very good, good enough to make you wonder why the rest of the movie kind of sucks.

I will say this: Green Lantern does a much better job than Superman Returns at portraying a superhuman hero and the cosmic menace is a lot better portrayed than Galactus was in Rise of the Silver Surfer.  Also, I wasn't throwing up my hands and thinking "What the hell is this crap?" at any point, unlike either of the Chris Nolan Batman movies.

Don't bother with a 3D showing, it doesn't add much to the movie, unless you think you would be really impressed by a monster's snout coming at you.

Oh, and there's kind of a huge plot hole involving what happens to some people the first time Hal uses the ring.  The movie would like you to forget they even existed, but don't you fall for it.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2011, 08:22:52 PM by akiratubo » Logged

Kneel before Dr. Hell, the ruler of this world!
Doggett
Bustin' makes me feel good !

I've seen things you people couldn't imagine...

« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2011, 06:35:35 AM »

...the cosmic menace is a lot better portrayed than Galactus was in Rise of the Silver Surfer.  

Not hard considering that Galactus was just a big cloud...

BounceGiggle

If God exists, why did he make me an atheist? Thats His first mistake.
InformationGeek
Leader of the Friends' for Info
B-Movie Site Webmaster

Let's all be Friends.

« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2011, 03:04:56 PM »

I'm seeing this in 47 minutes.  I'll be back later with my full opinion on this film.  I am a gigantic Green Lantern fan and I'll be the best judge to determine if this is a good adaption or not.  From what I hear, it's an okay movie, so I'll go in with that attitude.

We live in quite an interesting age. You can tell someone's sexual orientation and level of education from just their interests.
BoyScoutKevin

« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2011, 04:02:41 PM »

There again a film for which I've seen the trailer. Actually, both of them, and the second trailer actually made me want to see this film. That and I am a big fan of the Green Lantern as well. Therefore, needing something to do on Independence Day, when almost everything is closed, I might see it then.

I will say that the film critics for both of the major dailys in the area gave the film a mostly negative review. The critic for the daily down the road saying there was too much explanatory exposition at the start of the film which got in the way of some pretty good action at the end of the film. We'll see.
The Burgomaster
Aggravating People Worldwide Since 1964

« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2011, 05:55:03 PM »

I saw this today.  I thought it was very mediocre. 

"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone."
InformationGeek
B-Movie Site Webmaster

Let's all be Friends.

« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2011, 07:35:39 PM »

Back!

I really enjoyed this movie.  24% on Rotten Tomatoes my ass.  It was a fun silly comic book movie and I got what I wanted out of it.  The acting was good, but sometimes a little cheesy with some chuckle worthy cliche lines.  CGI was pretty good, though sometimes the effects don't always convince (It's got great visual style though).  The story was alright and enjoyable, with some plot holes like akiratubo mentioned.  Some solid fight scenes and enjoyable cast all the way.  Kind of amusing that Lex Luthor was voicing Parallax.  I also liked a lot of the movies spin on a couple of Green Lantern elements since they gave me what I wanted out of the movie.

I have the break my rating into 3 for this one:

6 out of 10 for those who probably might not be able to accept premise or a lot of the strange events that happens.

7 out of 10 for those who can accept everything and want a fun summer movie.

8 out of 10 for the fans, since they'll be able to enjoy this movie far more.

Go in with average expectations and I'm sure you'll be have a fun time.  Also, for those of you not a fan of CGI (We know who you are), stay away as far away as you can.  You'll be screaming in terror from the amount of computer effects this movie uses.

We live in quite an interesting age. You can tell someone's sexual orientation and level of education from just their interests.
WingedSerpent

I AM THE BAD PHOTOSHOP EFFECT!

« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2011, 10:33:10 AM »

Saw this last night, and I really liked it. It wasn't a perfect movie, but the flaws everyone is talking about weren't as movie destroying as they made them out to be.  It's not the Dark Night, and it's not supposed to be. I enjoyed it as much as Thor. More infact simply because I'm a big Green Lantern fan. 

Yes, I would have liked to have seen more of Sinestro and Killowog but the performances of Mark Strong and Michael Clark Duncan really made the breif amount of time they were on screen memorable.

The scenes on Oa were really cool.  I loved the all lantern rally and was able to point out several prominent ones like Saalak, Stel, Bzzrd, Olapet, and plenty that my friends didn't know. 

I liked the action, and while there were parts that lagged somewhat I never really found myself bored. There where plenty of parts I found myself really having fun with the movie. 

Parallax was cool.  I liked how he was still an recognizable intelligence instead of an esoteric force like Galactus in the FF movie.

I really hope there will be more.

At least, that's what Gary Busey told me...
akiratubo

« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2011, 10:38:36 AM »

It's not the Dark Night, and it's not supposed to be.

It's actually a whole lot better than The Dark Knight.

Kneel before Dr. Hell, the ruler of this world!
InformationGeek
B-Movie Site Webmaster

Let's all be Friends.

« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2011, 11:28:00 AM »

It's not the Dark Night, and it's not supposed to be.

It's actually a whole lot better than The Dark Knight.

Gees, with all your anger and rage towards that film, you might as well... in fact...

akiratubo of Sector 2814, you have great anger in your heart.

I'm kidding.  I joke because I care.   TeddyR

Hammock Rider

« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2011, 11:45:29 AM »

Back!

I really enjoyed this movie.  24% on Rotten Tomatoes my ass.  It was a fun silly comic book movie and I got what I wanted out of it.  The acting was good, but sometimes a little cheesy with some chuckle worthy cliche lines.  CGI was pretty good, though sometimes the effects don't always convince (It's got great visual style though).  The story was alright and enjoyable, with some plot holes like akiratubo mentioned.  Some solid fight scenes and enjoyable cast all the way.  Kind of amusing that Lex Luthor was voicing Parallax.  I also liked a lot of the movies spin on a couple of Green Lantern elements since they gave me what I wanted out of the movie.

Go in with average expectations and I'm sure you'll be have a fun time.  Also, for those of you not a fan of CGI (We know who you are), stay away as far away as you can.  You'll be screaming in terror from the amount of computer effects this movie uses.

I agree. It was a fun time. I'm a Green Lantern fan from way back.  I've always thought of the Green Lantern as a kind of a fun lark book. It always reminded me of those old  50's tv shows, Captian Video and Rocky Jones and Space Patrol and the like. The Green Lanterns are the Texas Rangers of Space, and as such I just want some good action and fun out of a GL story. This one met those needs and I was happy with it.

Jumping Kings and Making Haste Ain't my Cup of Meat
melvinthemopboy3
Dedicated Viewer

« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2011, 11:25:19 AM »

Overall, I felt that this movie just had a lot of wasted potential. A real shame, as it could have been fun. As a lot of people have been saying, it just felt rushed. I was never bored though, so at least there's that. I almost wish they would have went with Jack Black as originally planned. At least then it would have been a flat out comedy, instead of the half and half kind of thing that they went for.
InformationGeek
B-Movie Site Webmaster

Let's all be Friends.

« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2011, 11:59:56 AM »

I almost wish they would have went with Jack Black as originally planned. At least then it would have been a flat out comedy, instead of the half and half kind of thing that they went for.

But then we would have gotten another Gulliver's Travels and who wants that?

The Burgomaster
Aggravating People Worldwide Since 1964

« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2011, 03:47:00 PM »

Overall, I felt that this movie just had a lot of wasted potential. A real shame, as it could have been fun. As a lot of people have been saying, it just felt rushed. I was never bored though, so at least there's that. I almost wish they would have went with Jack Black as originally planned. At least then it would have been a flat out comedy, instead of the half and half kind of thing that they went for.

I completely agree with your comment about wasted potential.  But I am SO GLAD they scrapped the Jack Black idea!

"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone."
melvinthemopboy3
Dedicated Viewer

« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2011, 12:00:40 PM »

But then we would have gotten another Gulliver's Travels and who wants that?

It may not have been great, but at least it would have tried something different. That was my biggest beef with Green Lantern: it pretty much just stuck to the superhero origin formula.
rebel_1812
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #14 on: June 26, 2011, 10:26:13 PM »

I thought it was average.  It is outclassed by Thor and X-men this year.  I think a big reason for it was the acting choices.  Let me ask the people who thought it was good;  do you think ryan renolds played his character better then the actor for thor, or xaiver or magneto?  I don't and I think that took away from what could have been a pretty good movie.

Pages: [1] 2
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Green Lantern (2011) « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.