Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 19, 2024, 06:34:42 AM
712927 Posts in 53040 Topics by 7722 Members
Latest Member: GenevaBarr
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  Star Wars Plot Inconsistencies « previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 10
Author Topic: Star Wars Plot Inconsistencies  (Read 107687 times)
RD
Bad Movie Lover

I make the bad movies.

« Reply #45 on: July 04, 2011, 06:18:06 AM »

I also hated the ewoks. I know they're meant to represent nature dominating technology, but man are they annoying. It's sad to hear they were wedged in for their cute factor and marketability, replacing an army of Wookies.

Who couldn't get behind a bunch of wookies tearing storm troopers' arms out of sockets?

=== ===
           Go Robo!
Skull
« Reply #46 on: July 04, 2011, 06:56:33 AM »

I'd never liked the ewoks either, also at the time Star Wars was making a butt load of money with thier toys. The Ewoks was purly a marketing choice to enter a line of toys that would be aimed towards girls (similar to the success of carebears).

Small | Large
Mr. DS
Master Of Cinematic Bowel Movements
B-Movie Kraken

Get this thread cleaned up or YOU'RE FIRED!!!

« Reply #47 on: July 04, 2011, 06:59:16 AM »

^ I...um...had one of those... Bluesad

DarkSider's Realm
http://darksidersrealm.blogspot.com/

"You think the honey badger cares?  It doesn't give a sh*t."  Randall
Mr. DS
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #48 on: July 04, 2011, 07:01:51 AM »

Have to go with the obvious, all the smooching between Luke and Leia before the end of Return of the Jedi.

"I've had all 6 of these stories planned out from the beginning!" No, you didn't.
Funny how we've neglected one of the most obvious plot consitencies in this thread until the third page.  Yep, thats just creepy...incest is best in a galaxy far far away apparently.

DarkSider's Realm

ghouck
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Afro-Mullets RULE!

« Reply #49 on: July 04, 2011, 11:17:37 PM »

The Jedi say that only the Sith deal in absolutes, yet the Jedi also deal in absolutes.

In Episode 4 the lightsaber given to Luke was "from his father" which is a lie.
Actually Obi Wan did snatch up Anakin's Lightsaber in ROTS.  So...and damn you Obi Wan you're right again...from a certain point of view its right.

But that still leaves the "You father wanted you to have this" lie intact.

Raw bacon is GREAT! It's like regular bacon, only faster, and it doesn't burn the roof of your mouth!

Happiness is green text in the "Stuff To Watch For" section.

James James: The man so nice, they named him twice.

"Aw man, this thong is chafing my balls" -Lloyd Kaufman in Poultrygeist.

"There's always time for lubricant" -Orlando Jones in Evolution
ghouck

Afro-Mullets RULE!

« Reply #50 on: July 04, 2011, 11:26:07 PM »

There's also Luke and his light saber in the snow cave, moving it with teh force after no training?

Raw bacon is GREAT! It's like regular bacon, only faster, and it doesn't burn the roof of your mouth!

Flick James

Honorary Bastard of Arts

« Reply #51 on: July 05, 2011, 09:17:18 AM »

Have to go with the obvious, all the smooching between Luke and Leia before the end of Return of the Jedi.

"I've had all 6 of these stories planned out from the beginning!" No, you didn't.

Personally I think SW super fans created that myth and George Lucas started to believe it.

I don't always talk about bad movies, but when I do, I prefer badmovies.org
AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #52 on: July 06, 2011, 01:26:22 PM »

Just thought I'd post this for the hell of it.
Small | Large

Whoever cut this together missed a couple of my favourite riffs though:

Yoda: I hope right you are.
Mike: Or else predicate will I put before subject and gibberish shall I spout.
Kevin: True that is, Mike. An idiot sounds he like.
Bill: And yet by many sci-fi geeks beloved he is, though Muppet he is also, and tiring his use of anastrophe is.
Mike: Also true that is. Annoying it very is. Off it pi$$es me.

Palpatine: Henceforth, you shall be known as Darth....
Kevin (as Palpatine): Pumpkin. No, wait.
Palpatine:...Vader.
Kevin: Nah, don't like that either. What about Darth Timberlake?

(Anakin is fighting with Dooku)
Kevin: This reminds me of the time my brother and I got slapped around by George Burns.
Mike: Yeah, a couple of my buddies and I got pummelled by Burgess Meredith once. He was brutal.
Bill: That's nothing. My whole wrestling team once got the living crap beaten out of us by Eli Wallach!  He put a few of us in the hospital!

(Anakin defeats Dooku)
Kevin: Spare me, and a gently-used palantir is yours.

(Anakin is about to slice off Dooku's head)
Bill: You'll get Dooku all over your hands.

And while Mace Windu battles Palpatine, Mike shows Kevin and Bill how to make a delicious and simple spread using roasted red peppers. (I actually tried making it myself. Wasn't bad.)
« Last Edit: July 06, 2011, 01:44:03 PM by AndyC » Logged

---------------------
"Join me in the abyss of savings."
Fausto
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #53 on: July 06, 2011, 04:34:57 PM »

The Jedi say that only the Sith deal in absolutes, yet the Jedi also deal in absolutes.

Actually Obi Wan did snatch up Anakin's Lightsaber in ROTS.  So...and damn you Obi Wan you're right again...from a certain point of view its right.

Not necessarily, Vader did want Luke to have the lightsaber, but Obi-wan never said how Vader wanted him to use it, which was ruling the galaxy rather than being a jedi. That, or "the good man that was his father" would have wanted him to have it.  The certain point of view strikes again!

"When I die, I hope you will use my body creatively." - Shin Chan

"Tonight, we will honor the greatest writers in America with a modest 9 by 12 certificate and a check for three thousand dollars...three thousand dollars? Stephen King makes more than that for writing boo on a cocktail napkin." - Jimmy Breslin
ghouck

Afro-Mullets RULE!

« Reply #54 on: July 06, 2011, 11:49:28 PM »

Not necessarily, Vader did want Luke to have the lightsaber, but Obi-wan never said how Vader wanted him to use it, which was ruling the galaxy rather than being a jedi. That, or "the good man that was his father" would have wanted him to have it.  The certain point of view strikes again!

I don't remember dad saying that, had to be in ROTS, I watched it once and never cared to again.

ghouck

Afro-Mullets RULE!

« Reply #55 on: July 06, 2011, 11:53:26 PM »

Personally I think SW super fans created that myth and George Lucas started to believe it.

Yea, back then it was also said that He had #s 7, 8, & 9 written as well. I wish the prequels and the SEs were never made, then I could just enjoy the original 3 without knowing that most of what I like about the series were things that didn't go the way Lucas had planned. He literally stumbled into success. 

Skull
« Reply #56 on: July 07, 2011, 06:57:46 AM »

He literally stumbled into success. 

I dont believe that. He was consider a success for American Graffiti. If Star Wars failed, he'll be directing More American Graffiti or working on simular projects. Although, THX 1138 has been seen as a cult film in the 1980's (especially towards the punks) so it's likely George would be attempting to make another version of THX 1138 in the 1990's.

Also, George was good friends with Francis Ford Coppola since he had a stronger faith with THX so I wouldnt be surprise that he may ask George to help direct Apocalypse Now.

Although if Star Wars did fail I wonder how long would it take for a summer movie concept? (although another topic)
Mr. DS
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #57 on: July 07, 2011, 07:36:59 AM »

I dont believe that. He was consider a success for American Graffiti. If Star Wars failed, he'll be directing More American Graffiti or working on simular projects. Although, THX 1138 has been seen as a cult film in the 1980's (especially towards the punks) so it's likely George would be attempting to make another version of THX 1138 in the 1990's.

Also, George was good friends with Francis Ford Coppola since he had a stronger faith with THX so I wouldnt be surprise that he may ask George to help direct Apocalypse Now.

Although if Star Wars did fail I wonder how long would it take for a summer movie concept? (although another topic)

Agreed though I really feel ANH was lightning in a bottle for Georgie.  He didn't have the best script in the world, matter of fact the dialog was quite atrocious in parts.  The storyline had been done many times before, see Flash Gordon.  However, George gave us characters and great action sequences which made up the difference.  You wanted the action figures so you could "be" Obi Wan and Vader dueling.  Sadly this proved to be a huge downfall for the franchise come ROTJ.  It was more about marketing than what made the films great.  Though I will say ROTJ did have good action sequences.  However, the Ewoks are what stick out about that film and get hammered into our heads.

Then by the prequels, George seemed to honestly think he was a great script writer.  Nope........I don't buy the whole "planned out" thing either btw. Maybe there was an idea or two but not a plan.  It shows on screen.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2011, 07:39:56 AM by The DarkSider » Logged

DarkSider's Realm

Flick James

Honorary Bastard of Arts

« Reply #58 on: July 07, 2011, 08:28:26 AM »

Yea, back then it was also said that He had #s 7, 8, & 9 written as well. I wish the prequels and the SEs were never made, then I could just enjoy the original 3 without knowing that most of what I like about the series were things that didn't go the way Lucas had planned. He literally stumbled into success. 

You know, I remember all that talk about there being a 7-9. I've always believed that fans are who really created the prequels. I'm not saying that GL didn't have basic ideas in mind about preceding events, but I'm much more convinced that they were VERY basic, like not much more developed than what was already revealed in the original trilogy. I mean, you have a movie that starts out with the words Episode III, and concepts built up about preceding events, and a series of films that became legendary, so naturally the superfans are going to create the mythos themselves and GL, once CGI became available and he didn't have to go to Africa or Norway for location shooting anymore in order to make a movie, now you have the prequels.

Oh well, we could go on and on about it. Some say it's hard to erase the damage done by the prequels, but I'm finding that I can manage to watch the originals and still appreciate them.

I don't always talk about bad movies, but when I do, I prefer badmovies.org
AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #59 on: July 07, 2011, 08:47:22 AM »

Agreed though I really feel ANH was lightning in a bottle for Georgie.  He didn't have the best script in the world, matter of fact the dialog was quite atrocious in parts.  The storyline had been done many times before, see Flash Gordon.  However, George gave us characters and great action sequences which made up the difference.  You wanted the action figures so you could "be" Obi Wan and Vader dueling.  Sadly this proved to be a huge downfall for the franchise come ROTJ.  It was more about marketing than what made the films great.  Though I will say ROTJ did have good action sequences.  However, the Ewoks are what stick out about that film and get hammered into our heads.

Then by the prequels, George seemed to honestly think he was a great script writer.  Nope........I don't buy the whole "planned out" thing either btw. Maybe there was an idea or two but not a plan.  It shows on screen.

Star Wars brought new special effects techniques to the screen, and higher production values than had previously been seen in space movies, on a scale not previously seen. It had eye candy and attention to detail that surpassed 2001: A Space Odyssey, with lots of action and adventure, and a rousing score by John Williams. I think we forget that this was less than a decade after movies like Green Slime and Mars Needs Women. The technology behind moviemaking began growing by leaps and bounds in the 70s, and the industry was just beginning to see science fiction as more than kids' stuff, and worth putting some effort into. Movies in general were typically smaller and cheaper before the 70s. After Spielberg's Jaws ushered in the blockbuster era just two years before the release of Star Wars, kicking off an annual competition to make the big summer "event" movie that continues today. It could also be argued that after Vietnam, Watergate, etc., and the often darker movies the early 70s, people were looking for a movie like Star Wars.

Much of Star Wars' success is a result of it being made in the mid to late 1970s, when conditions were just right, in terms of technology, the industry and the filmgoing public. Earlier, and it might not have looked as good, or gotten the backing it needed. Later, and we might already have been dazzled by some other movie, and not found it as novel or impressive. It was the right movie at the right time.

---------------------
"Join me in the abyss of savings."
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 10
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  Star Wars Plot Inconsistencies « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.