Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 18, 2024, 10:53:21 PM
712920 Posts in 53040 Topics by 7722 Members
Latest Member: GenevaBarr
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  Star Wars Plot Inconsistencies « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 10
Author Topic: Star Wars Plot Inconsistencies  (Read 107654 times)
Skull
« Reply #75 on: July 21, 2011, 05:00:29 PM »

On another note, I remember hearing George Lucas is one of the most important technological pioneers in film for several reasons.  There's a long article about it somewhere on the internet.  Does anyone know what I'm referring to?

Another big part of the dialog that is lost in the prequels is Obiwan telling Luke that Vader hunted down and exterminated the remaining Jedi.   It seems to me all Vader did was kill a bunch of kids in the Jedi temple.

From my understanding, ALL the Jedi (discounting Obi-Wan and Yoda) aren't quite dead at the end of part III.  Vader hunted down and killed the few remaining holdouts.

That's right. Obi-Wan did broadcast a warning to any remaining Jedi, so it makes sense that there would be some left. We saw all the Jedi in the temple killed, and the most powerful Jedi shot down by their troops, but there were bound to be others who needed to be mopped up afterward. I believe Palpatine even made a declaration to that effect - "The remaining Jedi will be hunted down and defeated."

wow that would make sense in the next 3 Star Wars movies before New Hope...

Star Wars 3.25 (The Fall of the Jedi) - Darth Vader (as Darth Vader not crybaby b***h boy) hunts and defeats all the Jedi's except Yoda and Obi-Wan...

Star Wars 3.5 (The Hunt for Yoda and Obi-Wan) - it would take 2 -1/2 hours to figure what happen and why Darth Vader failed.

Star Wars 3.75 (The last Jedi) - some how the Princess of Alderaan knew that the Jedi Master Obi-Wan Kenobi is on the nearby planet of Tatooine. It's also funny that Darth Vader didnt connect the dots... we need 2 - 1/2 hours to figure how Darth Vader knew she was a rebel leader but not aware that she is his daughter or her knowledge of Obi-Wan.

wow George Lucas is right, this is a 9 part series... although he then changed his mind and told us it was 6... :)
AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #76 on: July 22, 2011, 12:20:29 AM »

Some how the Princess of Alderaan knew that the Jedi Master Obi-Wan Kenobi is on the nearby planet of Tatooine.

Well, that information presumably came from her adoptive father, who knew all about it. As I understood the first movie, Leia was going to Tattoine because her father told her there was a Jedi master there whose assistance she would need.

Vader, I'm guessing, knew she was a member of the rebel alliance because she was aboard a ship known to be smuggling stolen plans in the service of the Rebellion. She might have been suspected and under investigation for some time. Don't need the Force to know that, just ordinary police work.

And I don't think it was ever established that anyone had the power to sense relatives. My interpretation was that Vader or the Jedi could pick up certain feelings when someone is nearby, which they could then associate with a particular person. Recall Vader knowing Obi-Wan was aboard the Death Star by recognizing a feeling he hadn't experienced since their last meeting. So, in Star Wars, all Vader knows about Luke is that one pilot has a strong connection to the Force. In Empire Strikes Back, Vader is aware that Luke is his son because the Empire investigated the destruction of the Death Star, came up with Luke's name and investigated his background, then the Emperor called Vader up and told him. Father and son then met face to face, and it was only after that, in Return of the Jedi, that they could sense each other's presence.

So yeah. It makes perfect sense that Leia would know Obi-Wan was on Tattooine, that Vader would know she was a rebel, and that he wouldn't know she was his daughter.

And it's not hard to see why Yoda and Obi-Wan would escape any attempt to mop up the remaining Jedi. First, they were two of the most powerful Jedi who were all supposed to have been wiped out by their troops before they knew what was happening. Both of them managed to escape that first strike. I would have to think that any other Jedi who survived would either be of lesser ability and easily left for later, or just far enough out of the way to be missed, but by the same token, not as well prepared. And we must give credit to Yoda and Ben for making an extraordinary effort to hide. I mean, Yoda went to live alone as a hermit in a swamp, and Ben did much the same in a desert.

---------------------
"Join me in the abyss of savings."
El Misfit
[Insert witty here]
B-Movie Kraken

Hi there!

« Reply #77 on: July 22, 2011, 01:06:35 AM »

"I seem to remember owning a droid"

Poor R4, always forgotten.

R4-P17 you mean? Wink

Remember about the Holiday Special: It doesn't exist.

yeah no.
Skull
« Reply #78 on: July 22, 2011, 06:02:05 AM »

Some how the Princess of Alderaan knew that the Jedi Master Obi-Wan Kenobi is on the nearby planet of Tatooine.

Well, that information presumably came from her adoptive father, who knew all about it. As I understood the first movie, Leia was going to Tattoine because her father told her there was a Jedi master there whose assistance she would need.

Vader, I'm guessing, knew she was a member of the rebel alliance because she was aboard a ship known to be smuggling stolen plans in the service of the Rebellion. She might have been suspected and under investigation for some time. Don't need the Force to know that, just ordinary police work.

And I don't think it was ever established that anyone had the power to sense relatives. My interpretation was that Vader or the Jedi could pick up certain feelings when someone is nearby, which they could then associate with a particular person. Recall Vader knowing Obi-Wan was aboard the Death Star by recognizing a feeling he hadn't experienced since their last meeting. So, in Star Wars, all Vader knows about Luke is that one pilot has a strong connection to the Force. In Empire Strikes Back, Vader is aware that Luke is his son because the Empire investigated the destruction of the Death Star, came up with Luke's name and investigated his background, then the Emperor called Vader up and told him. Father and son then met face to face, and it was only after that, in Return of the Jedi, that they could sense each other's presence.

So yeah. It makes perfect sense that Leia would know Obi-Wan was on Tattooine, that Vader would know she was a rebel, and that he wouldn't know she was his daughter.

In Return of the Jedi it seemed they everybody had the ability to sense their relative... I believe Luke even said, the Force runs strong in our family. And in Phantom Menace baby vader was leaking the force... so it's hard to understand why Vader didnt know Leia was his daughter.
Mr. DS
Master Of Cinematic Bowel Movements
B-Movie Kraken

Get this thread cleaned up or YOU'RE FIRED!!!

« Reply #79 on: July 22, 2011, 06:39:10 AM »

In Return of the Jedi it seemed they everybody had the ability to sense their relative... I believe Luke even said, the Force runs strong in our family. And in Phantom Menace baby vader was leaking the force... so it's hard to understand why Vader didnt know Leia was his daughter.

I'm with Skull on that last point.  Once again though George did write these all together.  (snicker...that joke never gets old to me  BounceGiggle)

DarkSider's Realm
http://darksidersrealm.blogspot.com/

"You think the honey badger cares?  It doesn't give a sh*t."  Randall
AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #80 on: July 22, 2011, 07:40:39 AM »

I'm with Skull on that last point.  Once again though George did write these all together.  (snicker...that joke never gets old to me  BounceGiggle)

Luke knew Leia was his sister because he was told that. Vader knew Luke was his son because he was told that. Luke knew Vader was his father because he was told that. These all happened on the screen. By the time Return of the Jedi came around, all of the relationships were known to nearly everyone, and everyone had met and sensed one another previously. So yeah, Luke could sense his father and Vader could sense his son. But there is nothing to suggest that knowing their family relationship is a Force ability. Actually, there's plenty of evidence to the contrary.

And there is no indication Vader ever knew Leia was his daughter, even at the end. He read Luke's thoughts and learned that he had "a twin sister." Vader wasn't aware he had a daughter up to that point, and he still didn't know who she was, but he could certainly find out.

Now, I do question why Vader is picking vague thoughts out of someone's head there, when in the previous two movies he was resorting to torture and coercion. I don't know, maybe he can only get a vague impression from mindreading, and interrogation is how he gets the specifics, but it seems a little wierd.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2011, 07:42:49 AM by AndyC » Logged

---------------------
"Join me in the abyss of savings."
Skull
« Reply #81 on: July 22, 2011, 09:46:09 AM »

The Y-Fighter (or whatever the 'Y' craft is called in Jedi) illustrate both character uncanning ability to detect each other... Although Luke did have some special Jedi training in Empire, but Yoda also pointed out that Luke wasnt ready and it seem the training was within a matter of a few days at most, and his powers didnt seem to be anymore developed then what was shown in Hoth.

Sure it can be implied that Lukes training was a few months long... but I'm not sure if Han would deal with C3-PO for a week. And the way Han and Leia were acting towards each other; I bet within the a week Chewbacca would of dump those two love birds at the nearest astroid.
El Misfit
[Insert witty here]
B-Movie Kraken

Hi there!

« Reply #82 on: July 22, 2011, 01:00:06 PM »

My question about Star Bores is this: What Paint thinner was George Lucas was sniffing when he approved C3-PO, Jar Jar, Anakin (kid), and The Ewoks? What made him give the thumbs up for these things? Hatred

yeah no.
Skull
« Reply #83 on: July 22, 2011, 04:34:53 PM »

My question about Star Bores is this: What Paint thinner was George Lucas was sniffing when he approved C3-PO, Jar Jar, Anakin (kid), and The Ewoks? What made him give the thumbs up for these things? Hatred

C3-PO??? (C3-PO and R2-D2 was the not so slapstick of abbott and costello) although I do agree he must be smoking something when C3-PO becomes the creation of Darth Vader.

Ewoks... Kenner toys! Because the success of Carebears toys.

Jar Jar... Assuming that Hip Hop may think he's cool [if that's true I feel really sad for Lucas], or he was watching "the 13 ghosts of scooby doo" and thought that hip hop kid was a smart addition to the Scooby Doo series [then he needs to stop huffing paint thinner]...

Anakin (kid)... The success of Home Alone. It only shows that he either ran out of ideas or the story was written from random draws in the hat.

Flick James
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Honorary Bastard of Arts

« Reply #84 on: July 22, 2011, 04:51:29 PM »

I really didn't expect this thread to last this long.

I don't always talk about bad movies, but when I do, I prefer badmovies.org
Mr. DS
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #85 on: July 22, 2011, 09:37:14 PM »

Sure it can be implied that Lukes training was a few months long... but I'm not sure if Han would deal with C3-PO for a week. And the way Han and Leia were acting towards each other; I bet within the a week Chewbacca would of dump those two love birds at the nearest astroid.

You know whats funny, I really didn't give that much thought but yeah it doesn't seems like Luke had all that much time with Yoda.  If it was real time with Han and company's problems after the Hoth then I honestly think it couldn't have been more than a day or two. 

You have to figure they bailed on Hoth on...lets say a Monday morning.  They couldn't have been on the asteroid belt for longer than a few hours.  That includes their dilmea with the worm they were in.  Then by the time they bolted off to the Cloud City it was probably the next morning Tuesday.  By that evening Han was in carbonite and Luke had his hand chopped off.  Wow, that means Luke really did a lot of Force development between ESB and ROTJ. 

Wow...that just seems beyond stupid for some reason. 

DarkSider's Realm

Skull
« Reply #86 on: July 22, 2011, 10:21:51 PM »

You know whats funny, I really didn't give that much thought but yeah it doesn't seems like Luke had all that much time with Yoda.  If it was real time with Han and company's problems after the Hoth then I honestly think it couldn't have been more than a day or two. 

You have to figure they bailed on Hoth on...lets say a Monday morning.  They couldn't have been on the asteroid belt for longer than a few hours.  That includes their dilmea with the worm they were in.  Then by the time they bolted off to the Cloud City it was probably the next morning Tuesday.  By that evening Han was in carbonite and Luke had his hand chopped off.  Wow, that means Luke really did a lot of Force development between ESB and ROTJ. 

Wow...that just seems beyond stupid for some reason. 

Oh the magic of a montage... :)

Although I believe there is a science theory that a person could travel in space while real time passes on earth, therefore a person could be in space for 1 year and return to earth 100 years later, but I would expect this from a Star Trek movie... :)
Mr. DS
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #87 on: July 24, 2011, 09:21:45 PM »

Oh the magic of a montage... :)
Wait, I didn't hear any music from Survivor in the SW movies.  Question   

BounceGiggle

DarkSider's Realm

66Crush
« Reply #88 on: July 31, 2011, 12:04:37 AM »

I don't think that George Lucas was worried too much about time inconsistencies when he wrote these movies. Yes, there are a number of things you can pick apart, but that doesn't really bother me as long as I am entertained. What bugs me are some of the resolutions. But that has to do with growing up with these movies as a child, and almost feeling like you know the characters because you've invested so much time into them. I had a preconceived notion about what Dart Vader would be like in the prequels and what I got didn't match my expectations. But there is a big difference in seeing Star Wars at age 6, and seeing Phantom Menace at age 27. But I never really cared about wheather Luke was on Dagaboah for two weeks or fifteen minutes, as long as he there having this adventure is what was important. As adults we care about things that don't matter. We gripe about the "science" but we seem to have forgotten the about the "fiction." I'm one of the few sci-fi fans that was never any good at science, I like the fantasy. Do you like the story or do you hate the story? That's all that really matters.
Skull
« Reply #89 on: July 31, 2011, 06:51:39 AM »

66Crush, I love Star Wars for what it is and Empire Strikes Back for what it has become.

Return of the Jedi does work although the Ewoks can become annoying and the idea of sticks and stones breaking down the stormtroopers does make you think how clumsy the empire is according to Lucas.

The face lift of the series is an ill mistake that should never happen. It cheapens the reason why we love Star Wars.

The Prequels fails. I'm not actually sure what was the intent on making the prequels if they didnt respect the original story.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 10
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  Star Wars Plot Inconsistencies « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.