Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 19, 2024, 05:12:41 AM
712927 Posts in 53040 Topics by 7722 Members
Latest Member: GenevaBarr
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  Star Wars Plot Inconsistencies « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 10
Author Topic: Star Wars Plot Inconsistencies  (Read 107681 times)
wickednick
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #90 on: August 01, 2011, 12:49:11 AM »

One of the things that always strikes me is how the fans know the movies better than George Lucas. Yes I might have watched the first three almost a hundred times, but you would think George would at least try and keep the prequels relevant to the original three.
The thing with the prequels is that we all know Anakin is going to turn bad, the jedi will be destroyed and Luke and Leahia (excuse me if I messed up her name) will be separated, the ending is already known. What the prequels should have focused on was creating new twists in the story so that when we get to the parts we know will happen we can still be all "Holy s**t, can you believe that just happened!"
These movies were made completely for kids with out any regard for the people who grew up with the originals. Thats also why George changed the original three around so they could be more kid friendly. A good point is when Han shot after Greebo did. Someone told me they had no problem with it because Han was supposed to be a good guy and having him shoot first makes him a bad guy, that a bunch of bull. Han was supposed to be a scummy smuggler and didn't turn good until the end on A New Hope.
The prequels also had a habit of glossing over, or connecting the series in the most ridiculous ways possible. The droids are great examples of this point. George seemed to just have to have them in the prequels and put them in without any good reason for them to be in there. Anakin building C3-PO was just dumb and really made no sense that Anakin would build him. But what was worse was how they dealt with the situation at the end by just simply wiping their memories and pretending that none of it happened even though Obi-Wan should have at least recognized the droids names when he heard them.

Smells like popcorn and shame
Skull
« Reply #91 on: August 01, 2011, 07:55:34 AM »

One of the things that always strikes me is how the fans know the movies better than George Lucas. Yes I might have watched the first three almost a hundred times, but you would think George would at least try and keep the prequels relevant to the original three.

I really believe that Star Wars was not intended to have any sequels and or prequels. The 1977 movie was a surprise, especially for George Lucas and he needed to keep the legend alive. Empire Strikes Back was fluke that worked.

I'm not a *true fan* to the series... but it pains me when I know when people can do better and they dont. (I could also go off on Godfather 3)

The thing with the prequels is that we all know Anakin is going to turn bad, the jedi will be destroyed and Luke and Leahia (excuse me if I messed up her name) will be separated, the ending is already known. What the prequels should have focused on was creating new twists in the story so that when we get to the parts we know will happen we can still be all "Holy s**t, can you believe that just happened!"

Mostly, we all want to see Darth Vader killing all the Jedi's. The background story (orginal series) tells us that Darth Vader was a really good fighter pilot... which was seen as a joke.

The bothersome part of the prequels is trying to figure out "slave" especially when baby vader has the freedom to built C3-PO, built pod racers and pod race. It then becomes comfusing why a child (or child size) characters can only podrace... it makes sense when we are talking about Horse Racing since the animal is living and body weight is a factor... but a bulky machine is a different story.

These movies were made completely for kids with out any regard for the people who grew up with the originals.

Which may explaine the pod racing... but there is no way a kid (nor adult) that can figure the trade war issue or the logic about a Jedi... Seriously speaking I have trouble trying to figure out the purpose of a jedi even when Luke fails the test in Empire Strikes Back.

Although it's hard to sell kids an idea that the story is about how a kid jedi (hero) that becomes a killer. And then the love story in part 2 would make every kid vomit...

Baby vader could of worked in Phantom Menace if the story was something like Damien: Omen II (1978).

Thats also why George changed the original three around so they could be more kid friendly. A good point is when Han shot after Greebo did. Someone told me they had no problem with it because Han was supposed to be a good guy and having him shoot first makes him a bad guy, that a bunch of bull. Han was supposed to be a scummy smuggler and didn't turn good until the end on A New Hope.

Actually Han is a untrusted scummy smuggler that did change into a good guy towards the end. If George wanted to change Han from a scummy smuggler to a good guy hero 24/7 then the motive (money) needs to be tossed out the window.

The prequels also had a habit of glossing over, or connecting the series in the most ridiculous ways possible. The droids are great examples of this point. George seemed to just have to have them in the prequels and put them in without any good reason for them to be in there. Anakin building C3-PO was just dumb and really made no sense that Anakin would build him. But what was worse was how they dealt with the situation at the end by just simply wiping their memories and pretending that none of it happened even though Obi-Wan should have at least recognized the droids names when he heard them.

It boggles the mind.

I would respect the prequels a little more if C3-PO and R2-D2 were in dfferent parts of the story and end up meeting in the last story.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2011, 05:41:47 AM by Skull » Logged
66Crush
« Reply #92 on: August 07, 2011, 10:35:17 PM »

George Lucas says he gave up some of the money on the condition that he could make the sequels. He chose to take a large chunk of the merchandise because the studio didn't realize you could make money off of that kind of stuff (what a goof). He was also able to promote the movie with merch deals, because he knew the studio wouldn't. He ended up making more than the studio in the long run. My only real regret about "Return of the Jedi," is that Lucas had to resign from the directors guild because they were being jerks about the credits or some insignificant thing. So he was forced to use a non union British director instead of his original choice, Steven Spielberg. Imagine the possibility, it's the ultimate "what if?"
Skull
« Reply #93 on: August 08, 2011, 10:32:58 AM »

George Lucas says he gave up some of the money on the condition that he could make the sequels. He chose to take a large chunk of the merchandise because the studio didn't realize you could make money off of that kind of stuff (what a goof). He was also able to promote the movie with merch deals, because he knew the studio wouldn't. He ended up making more than the studio in the long run. My only real regret about "Return of the Jedi," is that Lucas had to resign from the directors guild because they were being jerks about the credits or some insignificant thing. So he was forced to use a non union British director instead of his original choice, Steven Spielberg. Imagine the possibility, it's the ultimate "what if?"

I dont see how that would change much. We will still learn that Luke has a Sister and the final battle will still have Ewaks vs stormtroopers. The only factor Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom might be delayed for another year... and I've also sense Spielberg is more intrested in the Indiana Jones series then Star Wars.

Although, I do suspect that if William Girdler didnt die he would be directing Poltergeist (1982) and Tobe Hooper would finish Venom (1981) and went on to Jaws 3 (1983)
bob
I survived Bucky Larson
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Torgo watches you masterbate!

« Reply #94 on: April 08, 2012, 12:38:31 PM »

In Empire Obi-Wan says that Luke is the Jedi's only shot at defeating Darth Vader, however in Revenge of the Sith he was present when Leia was born and knows that she like her brother was hidden from Annikin/Vader

Kubrick, Nolan, Tarantino, Wan, Iñárritu, Scorsese, Chaplin, Abrams, Wes Anderson, Gilliam, Kurosawa - the elite

I believe in the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.
Chainsawmidget
« Reply #95 on: April 08, 2012, 07:14:37 PM »

Hayden's ghost ruined a tearful moment for me at the end of that film.  Anakin became one with the force again right before dying hence his ghost being older makes much more sense.
There's also the fact that Anakin was NOT a good person when he was Hayden.  His act of redemption came when he WAS an old man.

The biggest plothole is that we never find out if that head banger soldier was ever given an aspirin. : wink :

And what happened to the Stromtrooper that said those weren't the droids they were looking for and waved Luke and his pals through? 

And thru the prequel's the Jedi's seem to have an uncanning ability to sense each other or recognize those with the ability to become Jedi's (some silly blood cell theory)
and yet nobody ever seems to notice the (future) Emperor's powers. 

Which brings me to this...there are some very important things Lucas needed to establish in the prequels.  #1 Anakin's fall to the Dark Side...it came off as simply stupid and unbelievable.
Frankly, it was hardly a  fall from grace at all.  Anakin was a punk.  He didn't like listening to others, he showed off, he whined when things didn't go his way, and generally demanded more respect than he rightfully deserved... and that's all before we get into his anger issues and homicidal tendencies. 
Pacman000
« Reply #96 on: April 09, 2012, 11:09:11 AM »

I feel slightly different, 2001 is a product from the success of James Bond as the attempt to use "real world technology" slightly modified it into a not too distant future design. I'm dont want to discredit 2001 but the movie would never be made the why we see it if wasnt for the success of Goldfinger (1964), Thunderball (1965) and You only live Twice (1967).

And then there were other films that also adopted the "real world technology" instead the super distant futrue tech as Green Slime and Mars Needs Women... movies like: Way... Way Out (1966) and In Like Flint (1967).

So there was a movement to make a 'realistic' space film even before 2001 (1968); and lets not forget people were intrested about the current technology for the projected moon landing in 1969. This is why we have such movies as: Planet of the Apes (1968), Countdown (1968) and Marooned (1969) (again using an almost realistic science) which was made during the same time and not "Influenced" by the success 2001 (1968).

The success of 2001 has became a major influence with some early 1970's SF movies... Silent Running (1972) and Solaris (1972)... (but the more I think of it; I'm not sure how much beyond that...)

Although I would like to point out that more I see Silent Running (1972) the more I can see the connection to Dark Star (1974), Star Wars (1977), Alien (1979), The Black Hole (1979), Saturn 3 (1980), Blade Runner (1982), etc. Since Silent Running was influenced by 2001 it would be fair to point the other SF movies towards 2001. The only thing 2001 is missing is the "lived in feeling" that Silent Running introduced.

If we're talking about special FX, 2001 beats everything that came before or after it.  Not a single scene, not even one shot looks fake.  Even Avatar failed to do that.  Star Wars, however,  was a more entertaining movie. Smile
Pacman000
« Reply #97 on: April 09, 2012, 11:13:13 AM »

Chewbacca was another one. He seemed to be a pretty high-ranking Wookie officer to be working with Yoda. Yet, in spite of his age, experience, knowledge, etc., he becomes a sidekick to Han Solo, who is younger and at least starts out kind of foolish and ignorant. And through the first three movies, he's essentially the muscle, and never shows more than average intelligence and a knack with machines. Now, I have read fan speculation that Chewbacca was working for the rebellion the whole time, and hooked up with Solo as the guy most likely to get Luke off Tattooine when the time came. But there are so many easier and more direct ways to do that.

In the expanded universe, the Empire decided to use Wookies as slaves.  I believe Han Solo rescued Chewie, somehow.  Then again, George Lucas claims that he doesn't like to use the expanded universe as a reference.   Lookingup
Pacman000
« Reply #98 on: April 09, 2012, 11:16:14 AM »

The prequels really are a fun ruiner. In the Originals the Jedi were these mythical people who you knew next to nothing about aside from they use something called the force and they have lightsabers.

Then in the prequels we learn they enjoy solving tax disputes, Have midiclohirens(Yeah I probably spelled that wrong, but i'm not in the mood to look it up), and are hilariously stupid when it comes to investigating things, and are completely oblivious to the lord of the Sith living right under their noses. They really do take away from the originals. I mean you can try to push them out of your head as much as you like, but you'll always know that Darth Vader built C-3P0.

How true.  The prequels spoil Star Wars, the Jedi seem less mysterious/mystical,  the Clone Wars seem less cool, etc.  Somethings are best left to the imagination.
Pacman000
« Reply #99 on: April 09, 2012, 11:40:21 AM »

Instead, George Lucas ends up producing a move that was inspired from the success of Home Alone. Freaking Home Alone! Gee! (actually worse... the pod race almost looked like something inspired from The Little Rascals (1994) )

I thought the pod race was inspired by this:
Small | Large

(At one time, there was a video of the "thread the needle" segment. I couldn't find it, but it is very simular to the pod race in Episode One.)
« Last Edit: April 17, 2012, 07:25:22 PM by Pacman000 » Logged
66Crush
« Reply #100 on: April 10, 2012, 12:45:34 AM »

How true.  The prequels spoil Star Wars, the Jedi seem less mysterious/mystical,  the Clone Wars seem less cool, etc.  Somethings are best left to the imagination.
[/quote]

I totally agree with this. I hated the way Anakin was written in the prequels. I was hoping for duel between Anakin and Yoda, where Yoda is badly defeated. Hell, Anakin doesn't even get to defeat Obi-Wan, and he's supposed to be the most powerful jedi ever? Even in the first movie it's hinted at that Vader had surpassed his old master. It also bugs me that it took the Emperor and Anakin both to defeat Mace Windu. This was simply George Lucas trying to kiss Samuel L. Jackson's ass, 'ol Sam's gotta look tough in every movie or he won't do it. The face of Hayden's Anakin being digitally used in the Return of the Jedi special edition is simply annoying. It bugs me almost as much as everyone calling the first movie "A New Hope." I know it was the original title but an entire generation of fans grew up simply calling it Star Wars.
bob
I survived Bucky Larson

« Reply #101 on: April 11, 2012, 09:25:18 PM »

And it was ALWAYS planned right from the get go that Luke and Leia were actually brother and sister, right George? That's why they have a kissing scene in 'Empire'.

And it was ALWAYS planned that R2-D2 was with Obi-Wan during 90% of the clone wars timeline, right George? That's why Owi-Wan tells Luke he doesn't seem to remember ever owning a droid in 'New Hope'.

And let's not forget the fact that Uncle Owen seems to forget his family used to own C-3P0 in Attack of the Clones when he buys him from the Jawas in A New Hope.

« Last Edit: April 11, 2012, 09:59:40 PM by bob » Logged

Kubrick, Nolan, Tarantino, Wan, Iñárritu, Scorsese, Chaplin, Abrams, Wes Anderson, Gilliam, Kurosawa - the elite

I believe in the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.
A_Dubya
Bad Movie Lover

I'm no hero, never was. I'm just an old killer.

« Reply #102 on: April 11, 2012, 09:29:03 PM »

I personally despise the prequels and think they essentially took a huge dump on the original trilogy. I prefer to try not to even think about them.

Definitely agree here. I mean, I can only tolerate Revenge of the Sith, and even that I have ranked lower than any film of the original trilogy.

This space free, since Photobucket is on dust.

PSN ID: A_Dubya13
bob
I survived Bucky Larson

« Reply #103 on: April 11, 2012, 09:31:21 PM »

Either that, or she was remembering Senator Organa's wife, her stepmother (she never knew she was adopted).

I rewatched A New Hope earlier today and chose to believe The Princess was talking about her adopted mother

66Crush
« Reply #104 on: April 11, 2012, 11:43:24 PM »

And let's not forget the fact that Uncle Owen seems to forget his family used to own C-3P0 in Attack of the Clones when he buys him from the Jawas in A New Hope.

Wow, I never thought about that one. Spot on! Let's see George Lucas explain his way out of that one.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 10
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  Star Wars Plot Inconsistencies « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.