Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 19, 2024, 06:04:17 AM
712927 Posts in 53040 Topics by 7722 Members
Latest Member: GenevaBarr
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  Star Wars Plot Inconsistencies « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10
Author Topic: Star Wars Plot Inconsistencies  (Read 107684 times)
AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #15 on: June 28, 2011, 10:37:42 AM »

And yes...Vader building 3PO is just plain stupid.  You have to figure when he saw him in Bespin he would have confiscated him to try to at least try to read his memory. 

The one thing I did like about the way they handled the droids was that it suggested R2-D2 knew everything the whole time. Which does fit with his behavior at the beginning of A New Hope.

And Anakin building 3P0 was at least consistent in that his memory was erased, and there are plenty of droids who look and behave just like him. Having him built by Anakin didn't work for me because it was an unlikely coincidence that didn't serve the plot in any way. Maybe it was supposed to be more interesting than having him just enter the story by doing his job, as they did with R2, but R2's first appearance worked fine, and 3P0's didn't.

Chewbacca was another one. He seemed to be a pretty high-ranking Wookie officer to be working with Yoda. Yet, in spite of his age, experience, knowledge, etc., he becomes a sidekick to Han Solo, who is younger and at least starts out kind of foolish and ignorant. And through the first three movies, he's essentially the muscle, and never shows more than average intelligence and a knack with machines. Now, I have read fan speculation that Chewbacca was working for the rebellion the whole time, and hooked up with Solo as the guy most likely to get Luke off Tattooine when the time came. But there are so many easier and more direct ways to do that.

That is my biggest problem with the prequels - the need to work everybody into the story. Completely ruins the idea of a band of unlikely heroes coming together by chance or by fate, when so many of them have some existing connection. I like the idea of Luke and Ben walking into a bar and hooking up with some unsavory pirate who turns out to be a good guy. It loses something if you know Solo's first mate fought with the Jedi in the Clone Wars, and might even have been there as Ben's contact. That also makes Han something of a patsy from the beginning.

---------------------
"Join me in the abyss of savings."
Flick James
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Honorary Bastard of Arts

« Reply #16 on: June 28, 2011, 10:50:05 AM »

Remeber, when you think about the prequels:Don't.
Let's just pretend they never happened.
Thumbup Cheers

I don't always talk about bad movies, but when I do, I prefer badmovies.org
Flick James

Honorary Bastard of Arts

« Reply #17 on: June 28, 2011, 10:53:29 AM »

That is my biggest problem with the prequels - the need to work everybody into the story.

Well, that's the problem with prequels to begin with. The Star Wars prequels had a cool scene here and there, but essentially took a giant dump on anything that made the original trilogy cool in the first place. Like Cthulu said, it's best to just pretend they didn't happen.

AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #18 on: June 28, 2011, 11:06:13 AM »

On the other hand, the Star Wars prequels are among the funniest things Rifftrax has done. Especially Episode 3. Hilarious.

---------------------
Mr. DS
Master Of Cinematic Bowel Movements
B-Movie Kraken

Get this thread cleaned up or YOU'RE FIRED!!!

« Reply #19 on: June 28, 2011, 11:19:00 AM »

I made the enormous mistake of buying the 2004 release of the original trilogy that was enhanced to tie in with the prequels. What can I say? I didn't realize what I was buying at the time. The only one I can stomach is Empire because it is the least altered. Return of the Jedi is hideous. The complete reconfiguring of the band scene at Jabba's Palace is atrocious, and sticking Hayden Christensen (sic?) in at the end to show Anakin's spirit was unforgiveable.
The whole Jabba scene was indeed an autrocity.  It literally killed the coolness of Boba Fett in one second, referring to when he is flirting with the backup singers.  Jesus H Lucas you are a moron at times!  Boba Fett ladies man, give me a break.  The whole remixed song number too was just friggin' lame. Another idiotic attempt to have another stupid comedic character enter the plot.  

Hayden's ghost ruined a tearful moment for me at the end of that film.  Anakin became one with the force again right before dying hence his ghost being older makes much more sense.  

Chewbacca was another one. He seemed to be a pretty high-ranking Wookie officer to be working with Yoda. Yet, in spite of his age, experience, knowledge, etc., he becomes a sidekick to Han Solo, who is younger and at least starts out kind of foolish and ignorant. And through the first three movies, he's essentially the muscle, and never shows more than average intelligence and a knack with machines. Now, I have read fan speculation that Chewbacca was working for the rebellion the whole time, and hooked up with Solo as the guy most likely to get Luke off Tattooine when the time came. But there are so many easier and more direct ways to do that.

Chewy had a Wookie life debt to Solo because he saved his life.   When the life debt started isn't exactly clear.  I heard there was supposed to be a young Solo hanging in Kasyyk in ROTS that was written out.  

That is my biggest problem with the prequels - the need to work everybody into the story. Completely ruins the idea of a band of unlikely heroes coming together by chance or by fate, when so many of them have some existing connection. I like the idea of Luke and Ben walking into a bar and hooking up with some unsavory pirate who turns out to be a good guy.

Which brings me to another thing I hate that Lucas did.  Although he later found his role as a leader, Solo was a scumbag in ANH. The whole Greedo shooting first thing is dumb.  Han shot first.

DarkSider's Realm
http://darksidersrealm.blogspot.com/

"You think the honey badger cares?  It doesn't give a sh*t."  Randall
Trevor
Uncle Zombie and Eminent Shitologist
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #20 on: June 28, 2011, 01:21:45 PM »

The biggest plothole is that we never find out if that head banger soldier was ever given an aspirin. : wink :

I know I can make it on my own if I try, but I'm searching for the Great Heart
To stand me by, underneath the African sky
A Great Heart to stand me by.
Criswell
i got better
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #21 on: June 28, 2011, 01:56:24 PM »

I know this sounds like complete blasphemy, but I actually like the 2004 special edition of Empire Strikes back. Don't get me wrong Star wars and Return of the Jedi's special editions are horrid. But the Empire Strikes back one actually does some decent things to the movie and doesn't do anything outrageously dumb.

AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #22 on: June 28, 2011, 02:47:10 PM »

Chewy had a Wookie life debt to Solo because he saved his life.   When the life debt started isn't exactly clear.  

I'd read that somewhere too. Still, you'd think with Chewy's age and military background, he'd be more than a big, hairy goon. I don't know, maybe a brilliant Wookie leader only has the intelligence of an average human. Or it might just be that they stuck things in the prequels that seemed cool, but didn't think enough about their implications for the earlier stories.

Which brings me to another thing I hate that Lucas did.  Although he later found his role as a leader, Solo was a scumbag in ANH. The whole Greedo shooting first thing is dumb.  Han shot first.

Yeah. I thought the whole point was that his association with Luke, Leia and Ben made him question his priorities and see the good in himself he'd been trying to deny all along. Han's transformation from hardened criminal to caring hero fits very nicely with the theme of redemption that becomes so important to the original trilogy. It parallels the balance of the force tipping back from dark to light, not to mention Vader's own redemption later on. That's what seems so bloody ridiculous. Vader can slaughter innocent people left and right, but ultimately decide to be a good person in the end. That's come to be what the entire series is about - Vader's fall and redemption. But Han can't gun down one fellow criminal in cold blood, in an act of self-preservation, because he throws in with the good guys relatively soon and can't set too bad an example. Is Lucas' big message not that there's good in everyone, and you can find heroes in the least likely of places?

---------------------
bob
I survived Bucky Larson

Torgo watches you masterbate!

« Reply #23 on: June 28, 2011, 06:07:52 PM »

The Jedi say that only the Sith deal in absolutes, yet the Jedi also deal in absolutes.

In Episode 4 the lightsaber given to Luke was "from his father" which is a lie.

Kubrick, Nolan, Tarantino, Wan, Iñárritu, Scorsese, Chaplin, Abrams, Wes Anderson, Gilliam, Kurosawa - the elite

I believe in the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.
Mr. DS
Master Of Cinematic Bowel Movements
B-Movie Kraken

Get this thread cleaned up or YOU'RE FIRED!!!

« Reply #24 on: June 28, 2011, 07:30:54 PM »

The Jedi say that only the Sith deal in absolutes, yet the Jedi also deal in absolutes.

In Episode 4 the lightsaber given to Luke was "from his father" which is a lie.
Actually Obi Wan did snatch up Anakin's Lightsaber in ROTS.  So...and damn you Obi Wan you're right again...from a certain point of view its right.  Perhaps that's Lucas's catch all, that quote from Obi Wan.  From a certain point of view Anakin hunted down and killed the Jedi.  Um wait, thats not true at all still.   BounceGiggle

I'd read that somewhere too. Still, you'd think with Chewy's age and military background, he'd be more than a big, hairy goon. I don't know, maybe a brilliant Wookie leader only has the intelligence of an average human. Or it might just be that they stuck things in the prequels that seemed cool, but didn't think enough about their implications for the earlier stories.
I've always assumed his kind were forced into slavery by the Empire.  Oh wait, they were alive and still living on Kasyyk during the Xmas Special.   BounceGiggle

The whole Order 66 thing kind of hits me as odd based souly on the Clone War cartoons.  The Clones in that one kind of develop personality and caring thoughts.  But yet they don't seem to care when the order is given.  Maybe its a hypnotic mind control thing they installed down at the clone plant.  Its yet another thing Lucas has given us to wonder about.

Oh and the ability to see dead Jedis.  Whats up with that?  How come Luke and Yoda can but all others seem to lack that aspect?  That would make people dying kind of less stressing.  You'd seem them in their glowy form eventually.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2011, 07:33:31 PM by The DarkSider » Logged

DarkSider's Realm
http://darksidersrealm.blogspot.com/

"You think the honey badger cares?  It doesn't give a sh*t."  Randall
SPazzo

My kinda toy...

« Reply #25 on: June 28, 2011, 07:58:06 PM »

Return of the Jedi is hideous. The complete reconfiguring of the band scene at Jabba's Palace is atrocious, and sticking Hayden Christensen (sic?) in at the end to show Anakin's spirit was unforgiveable.

Also, in the end when the people of Naboo are tearing down that statue of the Emperor (?) you can see and hear Jar Jar Binks yelling in the crowd if you look closely.

In the Naboo celebration scene inserted into the end of the 2004-version of Return of the Jedi, several Gungans are seen taking part in the celebrations. One Gungan can be heard shouting "Wesa free!".

-Source

Don't you just wanna give George Lucas a big bear hug right now?  :evilgrin:
WingedSerpent

I AM THE BAD PHOTOSHOP EFFECT!

« Reply #26 on: June 28, 2011, 08:26:01 PM »

For me, any nitpicking about Star Wars-the prequels became obsolete once Plinkett was done with his reviews.

At least, that's what Gary Busey told me...
AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #27 on: June 28, 2011, 08:32:07 PM »

From a certain point of view Anakin hunted down and killed the Jedi.  Um wait, thats not true at all still.   BounceGiggle

If I remember correctly, he said that Anakin helped the emperor to hunt down the Jedi. That could be true, from a certain point of view.

---------------------
Flick James

Honorary Bastard of Arts

« Reply #28 on: June 30, 2011, 10:38:54 AM »

Here's another one that bugs me.

So, after all but two of the jedi are destroyed, Yoda and Obi-Wan go into hiding, and while they're at it, they take Leia and Luke into hiding. Leia is adopted and assumes the name Organa rather than Skywalker. However, Luke is taken to live with his uncle under the name Skywalker. How dumb is that? They conceal Leia pretty well, but they take Luke and have him live with the same family that his father had grown up with, and use the name Skywalker. It just doesn't seem like there were trying to hard in Luke's case to hide his identity.

AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #29 on: June 30, 2011, 10:48:05 AM »

Here's another one that bugs me.

So, after all but two of the jedi are destroyed, Yoda and Obi-Wan go into hiding, and while they're at it, they take Leia and Luke into hiding. Leia is adopted and assumes the name Organa rather than Skywalker. However, Luke is taken to live with his uncle under the name Skywalker. How dumb is that? They conceal Leia pretty well, but they take Luke and have him live with the same family that his father had grown up with, and use the name Skywalker. It just doesn't seem like there were trying to hard in Luke's case to hide his identity.

I can see why Vader wouldn't go back to Tattooine, since it has bad associations for him and he hates sand. His stepbrother and the farm have no other significance to him. So Luke was safe there. But why they didn't adopt him outright and change his name to Lars, given the circumstances, I have no idea. They were taking a huge and unnecessary risk. Again, just Lucas thinking of stuff later on and trying to fit it into his original story without entirely succeeding.

---------------------
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  Star Wars Plot Inconsistencies « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.