Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 04:59:41 AM
714392 Posts in 53096 Topics by 7742 Members
Latest Member: KathleneKa
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Touristas Go Home « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Touristas Go Home  (Read 4250 times)
Mr. DS
Master Of Cinematic Bowel Movements
B-Movie Kraken

Get this thread cleaned up or YOU'RE FIRED!!!

« on: July 02, 2011, 09:06:36 AM »

Do you live in an area that is highly populated by tourists?  If so what time of the year do they flock the most?

I live in RI and we get shellacked in the summer time.  The beaches are all over the place, one literally about 10 minutes from me.  I tend to stay away during the summer months due to an overabundance of people.

I find a lot tourists to be a bit annoying.  They have no clue where they're going so they are very apt to cut you off in traffic to get where they're going.  Then don't get me started on their beach activities.  For instance, wading out for a swim in the fishing area two feet away from where I have my line.  Perhaps this is why I try to be as respectful and knowledgable about places I go on vacation to. 

What are your stories?

DarkSider's Realm
http://darksidersrealm.blogspot.com/

"You think the honey badger cares?  It doesn't give a sh*t."  Randall
Silverlady
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2011, 09:53:44 AM »

Tourists ...  Hatred

We live in the Pocono Mountain region of PA.  We get slammed summer, winter, Fall  and every weekend. There are resorts all over the area ... plus touristy candle, candy,and pretzel shops, clothing outlets, festivals and fairs... yada, yada, yada.

Anyways, weekends and holidays we stay local and stay off interstate 80 and avoid the YAHOO (that's what we call the tourists)  fun places.  Tourism fuels the economy here, but we are SO HAPPY when the weekends over and they all go HOME.

Reminds me of the old ditty .... If it's TOURIST SEASON, why can't we shoot 'em?

Hold onto your dreams ....
claws
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2011, 10:16:24 AM »

Our town only ever draws people from regional surroundings during carp season (months with the letter "r") so I wouldn't really call them tourists.
These are pretty much the same people who visit our Old Town Festival in August, which is the biggest event of the year, followed by our weekend Christmas Fairs in late November and December.
Other than that our town has nothing exciting to offer.
Raffine
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2011, 10:46:46 AM »

I live in Savannah, GA so just about EVERY day here is Tourist Day. For the most part they're not too bad and respectful of the town, since most of our tourist tend to be middle-aged groups here for the history and/or architecture.

There are several times of the year like St Patrick's Day and 'Orange Crush' (some kind of horrid rave-thingy for the college crowd) where the town is packed with younger, obnoxious people.

My main tourist pet peeve is this: there are signs everywhere in downtown annoucing how pedestrians have the right-of-way - which is fine and dandy. However many of them think this means they can just step into the street from behind a big tree, statue, etc. (we have LOTS of big trees, statues, etc here...) without looking  for oncoming traffic. I've come close to wiping out whole families several times. It's like driving through a deer infested forest late on a foggy night.

If you're an Andy Milligan fan there's no hope for you.
El Misfit
[Insert witty here]
B-Movie Kraken

Hi there!

« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2011, 11:16:55 AM »

Tourist are usually in the French Quarter and around uptown, mid city, and downtown. it's really good for New Orleans economy, so we don't want them to go home. Lookingup

yeah no.
Paquita

« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2011, 12:56:09 PM »

What? I'm a tourist.  I'm going to be a tourist in Hayward Wi in about a month and I am going to annoy the hell out of everyone in my way to see the giant muskie thing!
claws
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2011, 01:04:36 PM »

What? I'm a tourist.  I'm going to be a tourist in Hayward Wi in about a month and I am going to annoy the hell out of everyone in my way to see the giant muskie thing!

BounceGiggle Thumbup
Mr. DS
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2011, 06:33:24 PM »

I find certain tourists are more annoying than others.  New York and New Jersey drivers I'm looking at you. 

DarkSider's Realm

Killer Bees
Newly Appointed Government Employee and

Never give up on love

« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2011, 05:51:43 AM »

Living in Brisbane "The Liveable City", our population is close to 2 million people so there's bods around all the time.  Plus, our weather is good all year round (no snow here) so we get tourists every day.

I can't really tell who they are until they start talking and from what I've seen they seem okay.  IN a big city you can generally avoid most holiday people, particularly because I don't hang out at the usual tourist spots

Flower, gleam and glow
Let your power shine
Make the clock reverse
Bring back what once was mine
Heal what has been hurt
Change the fates' design
Save what has been lost
Bring back what once was mine
What once was mine.......
HappyGilmore
B-Movie Kraken

I know Quack-Fu.

« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2011, 11:51:28 AM »

I live in Philadelphia.  We get a reasonable amount of tourists throughout the year.  Noticably around now, what with the 4th of July weekend and such.  It's a great city, and you usually see the tourists hit the same spots: Liberty Bell, The Art Museums (and the stupid Rocky step thing that every yahoo from Iowa does), they hit up Pat's or Geno's for the cheesesteaks, etc.  And it's a short drive to the Jersey Shore so people will hit there too if they head here in the summer.

I see a lot of this:
Small | Large

I find certain tourists are more annoying than others.  New York and New Jersey drivers I'm looking at you. 

I generally agree with the Jersey drivers.  Til I met a few from Rhode Island.  They take the fuc*ing cake there.

"The path to Heaven runs through miles of clouded Hell."

Don’t get too close, it’s dark inside.
It’s where my demons hide, it’s where my demons hide.
Mr. DS
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2011, 01:38:29 PM »

Quote from: The DarkSider on July 02, 2011, 06:33:24 PM

I generally agree with the Jersey drivers.  Til I met a few from Rhode Island.  They take the fuc*ing cake there.
BounceGiggle  I have a RI plate but I'm a MA driver at heart.  I actually find CT drivers awful too. 

DarkSider's Realm

flackbait

The fate of the last door to door salesmen

« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2011, 02:55:59 PM »

I live right next to lake Michigan so we have plenty of tourists going to the beach, and they always seem to bother me when I'm fishing. A few people asking "What are you fishing for?" is fine. Having to hear that question every 5 minutes for 3 hours gets old really fast. I am exaggerating a bit here but sometimes it sure feels like that.
 Also you get some really dumb questions asked by tourists. The funniest one occurred on a very windy day, so there were major splashes of water on the rocks right off the pier I was fishing on. One tourist obviously from the states,came up and asked,"Are there any whales in Lake Michigan?"
My response to him, was to nod fervently and exclaim, "One of em just keeled over right there!" and pointed to the group of rocks where the water was splashing. The funniest part was some old timer I was fishing alongside then decides to jump in and explain to the tourist how in the depression his dad and a few of his buddies would go whaling for food. And the poor tourist lapped it all right up. I feel kinda bad Bluesad.... but only a little! TongueOut Drink
Mr. DS
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2011, 05:16:20 PM »

I live right next to lake Michigan so we have plenty of tourists going to the beach, and they always seem to bother me when I'm fishing. A few people asking "What are you fishing for?" is fine. Having to hear that question every 5 minutes for 3 hours gets old really fast. I am exaggerating a bit here but sometimes it sure feels like that.
I get "catching anything" a lot.  I always reply with a fish you'd never catch in the waters around here.  "The groupers are hitting very well today...."

DarkSider's Realm

El Misfit
[Insert witty here]
B-Movie Kraken

Hi there!

« Reply #13 on: July 03, 2011, 05:20:58 PM »

Quote from: The DarkSider on July 02, 2011, 06:33:24 PM

BounceGiggle  I have a RI plate but I'm a MA driver at heart.  I actually find CT drivers awful too. 
just try to drive here.....

yeah no.
flackbait

The fate of the last door to door salesmen

« Reply #14 on: July 04, 2011, 03:47:32 AM »

I get "catching anything" a lot.  I always reply with a fish you'd never catch in the waters around here.  "The groupers are hitting very well today...."
Nice! I always wonder why they ask, if they have no idea what you can catch there why bother asking in the first place?
Pages: [1] 2
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Touristas Go Home « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.