Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 19, 2024, 02:15:19 AM
712922 Posts in 53040 Topics by 7722 Members
Latest Member: GenevaBarr
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Press Releases and Film News  |  McDonald's Makes Apples Mandatory in Happy Meals « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: McDonald's Makes Apples Mandatory in Happy Meals  (Read 2504 times)
claws
« on: July 27, 2011, 02:08:50 AM »

NEW YORK ( – McDonald's Corp. is adding apples to all its Happy Meals and launching a nutrition-focused mobile phone app as part of a broader health push.

The changes underscore how the restaurant industry is reacting to the demands of customers and regulators who blame it for health ills ranging from childhood obesity to diabetes.

Among other changes in McDonald's new program:

— McDonald's pledged to reduce sugars, saturated fats and calories through "varied portion sizes, reformulations and innovations" by 2020. It didn't give details. By 2015, it will reduce sodium by 15 percent.

— McDonald's will introduce a new mobile app focused just on nutrition information.

— McDonald's USA president Jan Fields and other executives will go on a "listening tour" in August to hear suggestions from parents and nutrition experts. The chain will also launch a new online forum for parents.

McDonald's says the new directives are "absolutely not" related to impending regulations that will force the industry to curb the marketing of junk food to children and post nutrition information on menus.

Rather, the changes are a response to what customers were asking for, said Cindy Goody, McDonald's senior director of nutrition.

"We've been in the nutrition game for over 30 years in providing nutrition information to our customers," Goody said. "Now what we're doing is we're adding more food groups and ... creating nutritional awareness."

The nutrition talk also has helped McDonald's grab business from other fast-food restaurants, even as the recession forced people to cut back on eating out.

McDonald's has worked to paint itself as a healthy, hip place to eat, offering wireless access in restaurants and introducing smoothies and oatmeal, moves that other fast-food companies are now trying to replicate.

For Happy Meals, U.S. customers can already choose between apples or fries. But only about 11 percent of customers were ordering apples, the restaurant said.

So by the beginning of next year, McDonald's will instead include a half-order of apples and a half-order of fries. Customers can get all fries or all apples if they ask.

Goody said the change is indicative of "incremental lifestyle modifications." Asked why McDonald's didn't eliminate fries, she said that "all foods fit when consumed in moderation."

This isn't the first time the world's largest burger chain has tried to paint itself as an emissary of nutrition. In the '80s it created a fitness program for middle schoolers featuring gymnast Mary Lou Retton. A decade ago, McDonald's used spokesclown Ronald McDonald to encourage parents to get their children immunized and to tell kids to drink milk. In 2004, McDonald's christened Ronald a "balanced, active lifestyles ambassador" and passed out pedometers to encourage exercise.

Read more: foxnews.com

Who goes to McDonald's for apples?  Lookingup
akiratubo
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2011, 10:09:30 AM »

That more than balances out the extraordinarily unhealthy crap in their food, I guess.

Kneel before Dr. Hell, the ruler of this world!
Mofo Rising
Global Moderator

My cat can eat a whole watermelon!

« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2011, 10:59:33 AM »

Misleading headline, but I guess

MCDONALD'S MAKES SMALL CHANGE TO COMPOSITION OF HAPPY MEALS

wouldn't sell as many papers. Or garner clicks, or whatever newspapers do to make money these days. (Free advertising for fast food companies?)

I still get fries when ordering fast food. I enjoy them, but in smaller quantities than usually come packed with the meal. I often end up throwing away food because I don't feel like eating two or three entire potatoes.

Every dead body that is not exterminated becomes one of them. It gets up and kills. The people it kills, get up and kill.
Raffine

« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2011, 01:08:49 PM »

Can I get my apples deep-fried with a caramel fudge dipping sauce?

If you're an Andy Milligan fan there's no hope for you.
Mr. DS
Master Of Cinematic Bowel Movements
B-Movie Kraken

Get this thread cleaned up or YOU'RE FIRED!!!

« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2011, 08:33:47 PM »

Kind of a mixed reaction from yours truly.  I support healthy choices but if I want lard then give it to me by the bucket load.

DarkSider's Realm
http://darksidersrealm.blogspot.com/

"You think the honey badger cares?  It doesn't give a sh*t."  Randall
Umaril The Unfeathered

Pelinal na vasha, racuvar! Sa yando tyavoy nagaia!

« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2011, 09:03:24 AM »

I don't mind apples, as long as they're nice and cold with a hard snap and crunch to them.

In fact, I wish the apples in my local store looked a bit better than they do now; if they did, their sales would go up a LOT  Smile

Tam-Riel na nou Sancremath.
Dawn's Beauty is our shining home.

An varlais, nou bala, an kynd, nou latta.
The stars are our power, the sky is our light.

Malatu na nou karan.
Truth is our armor.

Malatu na bala
Truth is power.

Heca, Pellani! Agabaiyane Ehlnadaya!
Be gone, outsiders! I do not fear your mortal gods!

Auri-El na nou ata, ye A, Umaril, an Aran!
Aure-El is our father, and I, Umaril, the king!
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Press Releases and Film News  |  McDonald's Makes Apples Mandatory in Happy Meals « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.