Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 04:35:27 PM
714484 Posts in 53097 Topics by 7744 Members
Latest Member: MichelFran
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  The Blob: 1958 or 1988? « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: The Blob: 1958 or 1988?  (Read 4393 times)
Kaseykockroach
Cartoon Enthusiast and Muppet Fanatic
Bad Movie Lover

« on: July 20, 2011, 05:20:19 PM »

Which version do you prefer, the original or the remake?

Closetshipper.deviantart.com

"You wanna be a genius, it's easy. All you gotta say is, everything stinks. Then you're never wrong."
AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2011, 05:27:28 PM »

I prefer the 1958 version, but I also like the 1988 remake. One is a great example of a 1950s creature feature, and the other is a distinctly 1980s take on the same story. Both good, but I lean toward the original.

---------------------
"Join me in the abyss of savings."
Swamp Thing
Dedicated Viewer

« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2011, 06:46:30 PM »

(88) for me. I love the effects work and Chuck Russel is one of my most admired directors. I love The Scorpion King.

Abby Arcane: Is there a Mrs. Swamp Thing?
Swamp Thing: No, I'm a bachelor.
JaseSF
Super Space Age Freaky Geek
B-Movie Kraken

Soon, your brain will turn to jelly.

« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2011, 09:48:11 PM »

I prefer the original, but I do like both. I liked that the 88 film took things in a new direction - both feature some surprisingly entertaining gooey FX.

"This above all: To thine own self be true!"
HappyGilmore
B-Movie Kraken

I know Quack-Fu.

« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2011, 10:14:17 PM »

I prefer the '88 version.

Mostly cause it's the version I saw first. I do like the original, but will likely pop on the remake more.

"The path to Heaven runs through miles of clouded Hell."

Don’t get too close, it’s dark inside.
It’s where my demons hide, it’s where my demons hide.
akiratubo
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2011, 10:22:42 PM »

The 1988 version is crippled by the annoying "the government did it" plot twist.  Because of that alone, I will have to say I prefer the 1958 version as a total package.

Kneel before Dr. Hell, the ruler of this world!
Jack
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2011, 06:54:53 AM »

I like the remake a whole lot better.  I don't know how old Steve McQueen was at the time the original was filmed, but he seems like an adult man trying to play a teenager.  That was not a good role for him in my opinion.  Then that girl tripped over a pile of canned food in the grocery store and was sitting there helpless afterwards waiting for her boyfriend to help her get to her feet.  Oh for the love of god   Lookingup 

The remake was pure '80s cheese and a ton of fun.  Some pretty cool special effects in there as well.  I'll have to watch it again one of these days   Thumbup

The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion.

- Paulo Coelho
The Burgomaster
Aggravating People Worldwide Since 1964

« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2011, 09:27:34 AM »

Original.  I enjoyed the remake, too.  But the original is one of my all-time favorite sci-fi movies.

"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone."
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2011, 05:13:23 PM »

I prefer the remake.  I can't for the life of me see what people liked about the original.  I've seldom been that bored during an alien invasion.

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
WingedSerpent

I AM THE BAD PHOTOSHOP EFFECT!

« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2011, 09:03:30 PM »

The 1988 version. 

At least, that's what Gary Busey told me...
Pilgermann

« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2011, 10:00:07 PM »

I like what I've seen of the '88 version but I doubt it'll take the place of the original for me.  I think nostalgia plays a big role 'cause I used to watch it a lot as a kid, even though I was scared of the blob, often imaging it creeping up the stairwell and into my room at night.  When I re-watched it several years back I was surprised at how little blob-action there is.

For whatever reason, this is one of those classic horror films that I don't care if it gets remade.  I guess it's because there's nothing terribly distinctive about a big blob of goo that devours people.

Hammock Rider

« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2011, 12:39:41 PM »

I like the original mostly for the nostalgia. It was one of the first monster movies I watched as a kid and one of the very few movies we kids were allowed to stay up late and watch. We'd all sit on the couch together, eating popcorn adn hiding in the blankets during the scary parts. Back then it was a blast and I'm sure helped start me off on my love of sci-fi and horror.

But for sheer re-watchable fun I like the re-make. it's one of the few re-makes that outshines the original. It's fast, fun, funny, has great FX and has some actual scary/gruesome moments. Also, Shawnee Smith makes a better female hero than the actress who played Helen Crump on the Andy Griffith Show.

Jumping Kings and Making Haste Ain't my Cup of Meat
Doggett
Bustin' makes me feel good !

I've seen things you people couldn't imagine...

« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2011, 12:43:12 PM »

I prefer the remake.  I can't for the life of me see what people liked about the original.  I've seldom been that bored during an alien invasion.

Same here.

Stuff actually happens in the re-make. Its a lot of B movie fun.  Thumbup

If God exists, why did he make me an atheist? Thats His first mistake.
Trekkie313
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2011, 01:15:31 PM »

1988  Thumbup

Nothing can beat the 80's, just look at The Thing.
The Burgomaster
Aggravating People Worldwide Since 1964

« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2011, 01:49:19 PM »

Steve McQueen vs. Kevin Dillon.  Can there possibly be ANY comparison here?  Take away the modern special effects from the '88 version and what's left?  Not much.

"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone."
Pages: [1] 2
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  The Blob: 1958 or 1988? « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.