Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 10:27:28 PM
714392 Posts in 53096 Topics by 7742 Members
Latest Member: KathleneKa
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  MADE FOR TV Horrors! « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Author Topic: MADE FOR TV Horrors!  (Read 12380 times)
claws
« Reply #15 on: August 19, 2011, 12:55:12 AM »

One of the best made for TV horror movies:

Don't Go to Sleep (1982)

Honorable mention:

Midnight Offerings (1981)
Trevor
Uncle Zombie and Eminent Shitologist
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #16 on: August 19, 2011, 01:47:30 AM »

My two faves have always been:

Crowhaven Farm  Buggedout with Hope Lange and Lloyd Bochner.

Baffled! with my man Leonard Nimoy and Susan Hampshire ~ in this one, Mr Nimoy plays a racing driver, who, after a near fatal crash, finds himself endowed with a form of ESP which enables him to stop the evil goings-on at a seaside mansion in England. Vera Miles and Rachel Roberts also starred here: this one scared the sh*t out of me as a kid and I have it on a near mint condition VHS.  Thumbup but also  Buggedout Buggedout

I know I can make it on my own if I try, but I'm searching for the Great Heart
To stand me by, underneath the African sky
A Great Heart to stand me by.
Skull
« Reply #17 on: August 19, 2011, 05:44:53 AM »

Wow, Trilogy of Terror!  My mother told me about that one, and especially that doll with teeth!

I had no idea that Killdozer was a made for TV movie, nor did I know that about Duel.  I think that Killdozer was for hire at our local video store many years ago.

Edited to add: I just looked up Trilogy of Terror on the internet, and found that the first story, 'Julie' sounded very familiar.  I then realized that I have the original story 'The Likeness of Julie', written in 1962.  There are a number of differences, probably due to the TV nature of the show.

In the story, Julie is a plain-looking student who somehow attracts the attention of another kid at college.  He invites her out, and finds himself obsessed with her, stalking her and spying on her where she lives.  He takes her to a drive in where he drugs her and takes photos of her naked, and at the height of his obsession, attacks and brutalizes her in his car.  Later, from the viewpoint of Julie, she clairvoyantly sees him burning the photos he took before hanging himself.  She had mentally controlled him all along, inserting ideas into his mind to become obsessed with her and even assault her, but the weakness of his mind that allowed her to control him was what also caused him to self destruct, as her victims always did.  The story ends with another student taking a shine to Julie.

According to wikipedia, the TV episode places Julie as a teacher at the school rather than a student, and the power behind her manipulations is never stated, and only vaguely hinted as being out of the ordinary.  Julie the teacher poisons the student, and sets fire to his photographs.  Although I haven't seen the TV version, I prefer the ideas of the original story, in which an ugly but psychically gifted girl targets boys with her demented games.

wow very intresting, I've always thought the first 2 stories on Trilogy of Terror were boring...
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

"Charlie,we're in HELL!"-"yeah,ain't it groovy?!"

« Reply #18 on: August 19, 2011, 06:22:28 AM »

Trilogy of Terror 2 borrows the "Bobby" story from Dead of Night, but loses most of the effect, especially with the "Guy in the Bugsuit" ending.

A favorite of mine has always been "The Intruder Within".
I was lucky enough to find it on VHS at a bulk close out sale.

Another one has always been "Shivers", AKA "They Came From Within"
Many others since have tried & failed at making a watchable parasite slug movie.

I dont believe SHIVERS is a made for tv movie...that was a Cronenberg film.
Oh...NIGHT OF THE CREEPS was pretty cool...as was the insane SLUGS (1988)...

Small | Large

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)
Interviewer-"Does Dracula ever end for you?
Lugosi-"No. Dracula-never ends."

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
https://www.tumblr.com/ronmerchant
AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #19 on: August 19, 2011, 08:38:41 AM »

my favorites being The Beast (based on the Peter Benchley novel in which a giant squid terrorizes a small town)

I liked that one too - cheesy Jaws-style fun with a pre-CSI William Petersen. I revisited The Beast on video a few years later, after reading Ken Begg's review at jabootu.com, and enjoyed it even more. Ken used it as a perfect example of the "designated hero" in a movie. Petersen's character is not only a self-righteous prick, he actually puts other characters in danger through his actions without any accountability at all. Meanwhile, the local businessman who is portrayed as a villain of sorts really isn't doing anything all that villainous. Taken at face value, The Beast was fun the first time around. Viewed again in that different context, it took on another layer of fun for me, and actually became kind of a favourite.

And I just loved the way the marine biologist, with his accent, said "Architeuthis." For some reason, that stuck with me, and I have once or twice found a rare opportunity to use it. TeddyR

---------------------
"Join me in the abyss of savings."
alandhopewell
A NorthCoaster In Texas
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Hey....white women were in season.

« Reply #20 on: August 19, 2011, 10:27:08 AM »

Does anyone recall DR. JECKYL and MR. HYDE, with Kirk Douglas?
THE CLONING OF CLIFFORD SWIMMER?
THE NORMING OF JACK 243?
SONG OF THE SUCCUBUS?

If it's true what they say, that GOD created us in His image, then why should we not love creating, and why should we not continue to do so, as carefully and ethically as we can, on whatever scale we're capable of?

The choice is simple; refuse to create, and refuse to grow, or build, with care and love.
Hammock Rider

« Reply #21 on: August 19, 2011, 10:36:03 AM »

Two of may favorites are: The Girl Most Likely to... which starred Stockard CHanning and was co-written by Joan Rivers!

Small | Large

And I think someone else mentioned Midnight Offerings.

Small | Large

Jumping Kings and Making Haste Ain't my Cup of Meat
Raffine

« Reply #22 on: August 19, 2011, 11:28:48 AM »

Does anyone recall DR. JECKYL and MR. HYDE, with Kirk Douglas?

...and that it was a MUSICAL?!?!

Small | Large

The happy lunatics song that starts around 7:30 is definitely a highlight!
« Last Edit: August 19, 2011, 11:34:07 AM by Raffine » Logged

If you're an Andy Milligan fan there's no hope for you.
alandhopewell
A NorthCoaster In Texas

Hey....white women were in season.

« Reply #23 on: August 19, 2011, 11:37:24 AM »

An early fave....THE LOVE WAR, from 1970.

If it's true what they say, that GOD created us in His image, then why should we not love creating, and why should we not continue to do so, as carefully and ethically as we can, on whatever scale we're capable of?

The choice is simple; refuse to create, and refuse to grow, or build, with care and love.
LilCerberus
A Very Bad Person, overweight bald guy with a missing tooth, and

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

« Reply #24 on: August 19, 2011, 12:40:20 PM »

Shivers, I understand, was made for Canadian TV, where they have different standards.
Must confess, I haven't seen Slugs.
Night of The Creeps, IMHO, is a comedy. It has it's moments, but doesn't quite measure up.
Trilogy of Terror 2 borrows the "Bobby" story from Dead of Night, but loses most of the effect, especially with the "Guy in the Bugsuit" ending.

Many others since have tried & failed at making a watchable parasite slug movie.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JvS3ZXZRSsk

"Science Fiction & Nostalgia have become the same thing!" - T Bone Burnett
The world runs off money, even for those with a warped sense of what the world is.
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #25 on: August 19, 2011, 04:10:15 PM »

Shivers, I understand, was made for Canadian TV, where they have different standards.
Must confess, I haven't seen Slugs.
Night of The Creeps, IMHO, is a comedy. It has it's moments, but doesn't quite measure up.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JvS3ZXZRSsk

I was unaware of the Canadian TV link! I knew it was filmed there.
Yeah...NIGHT OF THE CREEPS was funny...and SLUGS is a low B movie....SHIVERS,on the other hand,is a classic!

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
Silverlady
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #26 on: August 19, 2011, 04:49:17 PM »

Though not a made for tv movie, but a tv mini series, SALEM'S LOT 1979 had me glued to my tv set!

Hold onto your dreams ....
Blair
Dedicated Viewer

« Reply #27 on: August 21, 2011, 01:17:32 AM »

I always liked Deadly Lessons. Jon from Chips was a killer with mommie issues.
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #28 on: August 21, 2011, 06:25:15 AM »

Though not a made for tv movie, but a tv mini series, SALEM'S LOT 1979 had me glued to my tv set!

"You'll enjoy the Master...and he'll enjoy you!"

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
voltron

« Reply #29 on: August 21, 2011, 09:14:37 PM »

Hey, what about Shivers and Slugs?  Question

"Nothin' out there but God's little creatures - more scared of you than you are of them"  - Warren, "Just Before Dawn"
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  MADE FOR TV Horrors! « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.