Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 10:18:53 AM
714439 Posts in 53097 Topics by 7742 Members
Latest Member: KathleneKa
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  Old Vs. New: True Grit « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Old Vs. New: True Grit  (Read 3243 times)
InformationGeek
Leader of the Friends' for Info
B-Movie Site Webmaster
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Let's all be Friends.

« on: June 14, 2011, 09:52:30 PM »

That Nostalgia Critic fellow did another one of these Old Vs. New on True Grit and I thought it would be fun to dicuss.

http://blip.tv/nostalgiacritic/nostalgia-critic-old-vs-new-true-grit-5275831

The decision maybe constroversial, but hey, it's his opinion and at least he backs it up with his own explaination.  So, breaking it down into the following:
+ Best Mattie
+ Best Rooster Cogburn
+ Best Supporting Cast
+ Best Villians
+ Best Story

What movie would you pick over the other?

We live in quite an interesting age. You can tell someone's sexual orientation and level of education from just their interests.
Criswell
i got better
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2011, 10:46:42 PM »

I'd pick the original. Mostly because I like classic westerns and I consider it one of the best from the late 60s. I did seriously love the Coen Brothers adaptation as well, but I don't think it has the charm the original does. Also i'd add the music from the 1969 version is a lot more memorable than the music from the newer one. Ill admit the supporting cast in the new one is much better. Glen Campbell from the original is a pretty lousy actor, and Kim Darby I wasn't too found of. John Wayne's presence is what really makes the original, and the direction of the Coen's is what make the new one.

I don't really see his opinion as controversial. I've heard the same opinion many times.

Bottom line - Two great westerns made in two different styles. But like the NC said, they are both great movies.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2011, 10:50:50 PM by Criswell » Logged

indianasmith
Archeologist, Theologian, Elder Scrolls Addict, and a
B-Movie Kraken

A good bad movie is like popcorn for the soul!

« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2011, 12:39:44 AM »

i don't remember the original very well - I haven't seen it in many, many years - but I just got done watching the remake and enjoyed it thoroughly . . . except for the music over the closing credits.  That has to be the WORST rendition of "Leaning On the Everlasting Arms"  I have EVER heard in my life!! (And trust me, in a lifetime of attending small Baptist churches, I have heard some LOUSY singers!!!)

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2011, 02:06:32 AM »

i don't remember the original very well - I haven't seen it in many, many years - but I just got done watching the remake and enjoyed it thoroughly . . . except for the music over the closing credits.  That has to be the WORST rendition of "Leaning On the Everlasting Arms"  I have EVER heard in my life!! (And trust me, in a lifetime of attending small Baptist churches, I have heard some LOUSY singers!!!)

Pretty much the same here. Don't remember much about the original, except that I liked it. Really enjoyed the new one. I don't see a need to choose one over the other.

---------------------
"Join me in the abyss of savings."
Hammock Rider

« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2011, 10:41:52 AM »

John Wayne's presence is what really makes the original, and the direction of the Coen's is what make the new one.

Bottom line - Two great westerns made in two different styles. But like the NC said, they are both great movies.

This is pretty much how I felt.

Jumping Kings and Making Haste Ain't my Cup of Meat
The Burgomaster
Aggravating People Worldwide Since 1964

« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2011, 03:53:40 PM »

+ Best Mattie - I'd say this is pretty close.  A virtual tie.
+ Best Rooster Cogburn - John Wayne.  But Jeff Bridges is one of the few actors who could have pulled off the remake.  Close call, but I give it to the Duke.
+ Best Supporting Cast - Original.  Hey, Dennis Freakin' Hopper was in it!
+ Best Villians - Slight edge to the original.
+ Best Story - I think the remake was darker and and the ending was more of a bummer, so I'll give this category to the remake.

Overall, reasonably close.  But I'll declare the original the winner.

"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone."
Kaseykockroach
Cartoon Enthusiast and Muppet Fanatic
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2011, 04:03:15 PM »

What, no Blazing Saddles or Son of Paleface? :P
At least he mentioned The Searchers. -shrugs-

Closetshipper.deviantart.com

"You wanna be a genius, it's easy. All you gotta say is, everything stinks. Then you're never wrong."
Nightowl
Bad Movie Lover

Local TV-Movie Nerd!

« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2011, 10:03:12 PM »

Nothing can beat the duke.

Vik
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2011, 02:58:13 AM »

I feel the new True Grit is way better.
Flick James

Honorary Bastard of Arts

« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2011, 02:30:56 PM »

I finally watched the new one last night and have to say I agree with most of the comments. I would say I every-so-slightly side with John Wayne version, due to it's classic status mostly, but they're both fine films. I liked the girl in this one better though. I bought her character a little more. 

I don't always talk about bad movies, but when I do, I prefer badmovies.org
tracy
Inventor of the Turnip Twaddler and

« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2011, 12:48:54 PM »

As a huge fan of John Wayne I have to say that the new one simply didn't hold a candle to the original. In fact,the only reason I went to see it is because I really like Jeff Bridges. However,I was even more disappointed than I expected to be.

Yes,I'm fine....as long as I don't look too closely.
alandhopewell
A NorthCoaster In Texas

Hey....white women were in season.

« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2011, 12:54:16 PM »

About the only thing I liked about the remake over the original was that Mattie's dialogue wasn't as painful to listen to.

If it's true what they say, that GOD created us in His image, then why should we not love creating, and why should we not continue to do so, as carefully and ethically as we can, on whatever scale we're capable of?

The choice is simple; refuse to create, and refuse to grow, or build, with care and love.
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  Old Vs. New: True Grit « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.