Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 11:55:56 AM
714402 Posts in 53097 Topics by 7742 Members
Latest Member: KathleneKa
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Weird News Stories  |  Halloween Billboard Offends People « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Halloween Billboard Offends People  (Read 4995 times)
InformationGeek
Leader of the Friends' for Info
B-Movie Site Webmaster
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Let's all be Friends.

« on: October 18, 2011, 08:58:21 AM »

It reminds me of the controversy with the logo for Dead Island.  Apparently, nongraphic images of silhouetted hanged people really scare people, or in this case, racially offend others.  How have we gotten here?

http://pittsburgh.cbslocal.com/2011/10/14/halloween-billboard-stirs-controversy-on-north-side/?hpt=us_bn4

We live in quite an interesting age. You can tell someone's sexual orientation and level of education from just their interests.
El Misfit
[Insert witty here]
B-Movie Kraken

Hi there!

« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2011, 09:19:25 AM »

people should just chill the f**k out, it's really old and late into the season, If it was say earlier into the month, then I could see it then, but now; it's just dumb.

yeah no.
Mr. DS
Master Of Cinematic Bowel Movements
B-Movie Kraken

Get this thread cleaned up or YOU'RE FIRED!!!

« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2011, 08:13:52 PM »

Fall joke for you.  How did the Pollack break his arm raking leaves?

He fell out of the tree!!!

Yep I'm Polish and I find these jokes hilarious. People look for s**t to be offended of and its kind of silly.

DarkSider's Realm
http://darksidersrealm.blogspot.com/

"You think the honey badger cares?  It doesn't give a sh*t."  Randall
Chainsawmidget
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2011, 10:03:30 PM »

Some people just go looking for things to get offended by.
indianasmith
Archeologist, Theologian, Elder Scrolls Addict, and a
B-Movie Kraken

A good bad movie is like popcorn for the soul!

« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2011, 11:36:59 PM »

As Bloom County observed 30 years ago  . . .

"Ohmigosh!!!!! LIFE IS OFFENSIVE!!!! AAAAAAAAHHHH!"

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2011, 08:52:50 AM »

So, because the billboard was in a black neighbourhood, that was supposed to be a lynched black man and not something generically creepy that would be totally in keeping with the theme of the ad. Interesting logic. I'm disappointed nobody found any significance in the silhouette being black. That would really have been funny. "If it's not racist, why isn't that a white silhouette?" TeddyR

---------------------
"Join me in the abyss of savings."
The Gravekeeper
addicted to the macabre
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2011, 11:02:03 AM »

From the sounds of it, most of the people in that neighbourhood were pretty indifferent. Probably because since it's a silhouette and thus impossible to figure out what race the victim is. Since the attraction recreated a historical double-hanging, well, it kind of makes sense to advertise the main draw of the show.
alandhopewell
A NorthCoaster In Texas

Hey....white women were in season.

« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2011, 12:31:25 PM »

I agree; negroid is part of my ancestry, and I'm sick of all the faux sensitivity so many people exhibit.

4-X....
THere have been several instances in the news where people have lost their jobs over the use of the word "n***ardly", which means stingy; it has NO racial connotation. What really burns me is the fact that, once this is pointed out, people will say, "We don't care what it means....we don't like how it sounds!"

A lot of black people need to knock the chocolate chips off their shoulders, and GROW UP.

If it's true what they say, that GOD created us in His image, then why should we not love creating, and why should we not continue to do so, as carefully and ethically as we can, on whatever scale we're capable of?

The choice is simple; refuse to create, and refuse to grow, or build, with care and love.
Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

Either he's dead or my watch has stopped!

« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2011, 08:20:49 PM »

I agree; negroid is part of my ancestry, and I'm sick of all the faux sensitivity so many people exhibit.

4-X....
THere have been several instances in the news where people have lost their jobs over the use of the word "n***ardly", which means stingy; it has NO racial connotation. What really burns me is the fact that, once this is pointed out, people will say, "We don't care what it means....we don't like how it sounds!"

A lot of black people need to knock the chocolate chips off their shoulders, and GROW UP.
"...chocolate chips..."?   Question 
And, y'know what, words are heard.  The sound of a word can be offensive to a person.  Who needs to use the word "n***ardly" anyway?  Are we concerned with preserving old-fashioned words or a person's feelings?  I don't use the word "n***ardly" but most people here in America wouldn't understand it's meaning anyway.  But they sure would hear its sound. 

If you want to view paradise . . . simply look around and view it!
AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2011, 09:49:00 PM »

4-X....

And, y'know what, words are heard.  The sound of a word can be offensive to a person.  Who needs to use the word "n***ardly" anyway?  Are we concerned with preserving old-fashioned words or a person's feelings?  I don't use the word "n***ardly" but most people here in America wouldn't understand it's meaning anyway.  But they sure would hear its sound. 

I can see both sides of that. n***ardly is a perfectly good English word that I believe predates the racial designation. People shouldn't be punished for saying it. On the other hand, I'm well aware that most people are ignorant of it, and it sounds like a word they know all too well. Misunderstandings are going to happen, and it's just common sense to avoid them. No reason to say a word like n***ardly in this day and age except to show off.

Now, one that does make me roll my eyes is when I go to the hardware store to pick up some seed for the bird feeders, and I see bags of "Nyjer" seed. Really. What I'd like to know is whether it's because of idiots at the seed company who thought Niger might be potentially offensive, or idiots in stores who misread the bags and complained.

---------------------
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2011, 11:30:46 AM »

Now, one that does make me roll my eyes is when I go to the hardware store to pick up some seed for the bird feeders, and I see bags of "Nyjer" seed. Really. What I'd like to know is whether it's because of idiots at the seed company who thought Niger might be potentially offensive, or idiots in stores who misread the bags and complained.

I never heard of nyger or niger seed before, but I was curious so I googled it.  The top hit (from an online retailer) says, "Nyjer (R), niger, and thistle are all names used to identify a tiny, black birdseed cultivated in Asia and Africa that is high in calories and oil content, loved by finches and other wild birds, and has been used in the feeding of wild birds for more than 40 years. However, only one name is correct: Nyjer (R). To differentiate between the imported niger oilseed used to feed wild birds and thistle - as well as to eliminate any possibility of offensively mispronouncing the word 'niger' - the Wild Bird Feeding Industry trademarked the name Nyjer in 1998." 

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2011, 12:17:02 PM »

I never heard of nyger or niger seed before, but I was curious so I googled it.  The top hit (from an online retailer) says, "Nyjer (R), niger, and thistle are all names used to identify a tiny, black birdseed cultivated in Asia and Africa that is high in calories and oil content, loved by finches and other wild birds, and has been used in the feeding of wild birds for more than 40 years. However, only one name is correct: Nyjer (R). To differentiate between the imported niger oilseed used to feed wild birds and thistle - as well as to eliminate any possibility of offensively mispronouncing the word 'niger' - the Wild Bird Feeding Industry trademarked the name Nyjer in 1998." 

Funny, I thought the change was more recent than 1998, but I think I'm reaching the age when 13 years ago seems recent. I actually feel a little better to know that it is a trade name, and it has some purpose other than political correctness, although I don't think the industry would have adopted that spelling if it was just to eliminate confusion. I imagine they saw an opportunity to kill two birds with one stone, if you'll pardon the pun.

---------------------
alandhopewell
A NorthCoaster In Texas

Hey....white women were in season.

« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2011, 01:10:16 PM »

4-X....

Personally, I find the ghettoish mangling of Standard English offensive, but wouldn't it call into question my emotional maturity if I continually whined about it?

We were taught coming up that a bigot with empty hands is just another loudmouth, so why let him rent space in your head? It's bad enough that you've got folks who must put adjectives to other people to feel like men, so why do their job for them by labeling yourself first?

Humans are humans, scientifically, and spiritually, the rest merely interesting but irrelevant variations on a theme....I repeat, grow up.

If it's true what they say, that GOD created us in His image, then why should we not love creating, and why should we not continue to do so, as carefully and ethically as we can, on whatever scale we're capable of?

The choice is simple; refuse to create, and refuse to grow, or build, with care and love.
Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

Either he's dead or my watch has stopped!

« Reply #13 on: November 12, 2011, 06:18:06 PM »

4-X....
"...chocolate chips..."?   Question  
And, y'know what, words are heard.  The sound of a word can be offensive to a person.  Who needs to use the word "n***ardly" anyway?  Are we concerned with preserving old-fashioned words or a person's feelings?  I don't use the word "n***ardly" but most people here in America wouldn't understand it's meaning anyway.  But they sure would hear its sound.  
Personally, I find the ghettoish mangling of Standard English offensive, but wouldn't it call into question my emotional maturity if I continually whined about it?
Pet peeve, eh?  You must use the word n***ardly alot if people are "continually" whining about it.  

We were taught coming up that a bigot with empty hands is just another loudmouth, so why let him rent space in your head? It's bad enough that you've got folks who must put adjectives to other people to feel like men, so why do their job for them by labeling yourself first?
What are you on about?  

Humans are humans, scientifically, and spiritually, the rest merely interesting but irrelevant variations on a theme....I repeat, grow up.
Not lost on me, punkin'.   Wink Thumbdown  You don't make no sense.   TeddyR
« Last Edit: November 12, 2011, 06:20:37 PM by Allhallowsday » Logged

If you want to view paradise . . . simply look around and view it!
AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #14 on: November 12, 2011, 07:39:41 PM »

I just find the idea of an American talking about mangling "standard English" to be really ironic. Noah Webster did that for the whole country a long time ago. And all the Canadians and Brits and Aussies keep hearing how we spell things funny.

---------------------
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Weird News Stories  |  Halloween Billboard Offends People « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.