Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 05:42:51 PM
714415 Posts in 53097 Topics by 7742 Members
Latest Member: KathleneKa
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Now RedBox is raising prices too... « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Now RedBox is raising prices too...  (Read 1852 times)
FatFreddysCat
Movies, Metal, Beer!
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« on: October 27, 2011, 08:38:32 PM »

Just got an e-mail from RedBox a little while ago about this:

http://techcrunch.com/2011/10/27/redbox-raises-price-on-rentals-to-1-20/

As of October 31st, DVD rentals from RedBox will go up to $1.20.

I use RedBox quite often and don't really mind a twenty-cent increase, because they're still the best deal in town. However, I think their timing for this announcement absolutely stinks. Look what just happened with Netflix's recent P.R. catastrophe. If RedBox were smart, they would've held the price line and tried to snap up some of those ticked off former NetFlix customers with a snappy ad campaign, i.e. "Hey, former Netflix peeps, come check us out... we're only a buck."

...meanwhile, RedBox's Facebook page already has nearly 2000 comments on it complaining about the price increase and saying "Screw you, I'll never use you again!" Haha. This could get ugly.

Hey, HEY, kids! Check out my way-cool Music and Movie Review blog on HubPages!
http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2011, 08:57:59 PM »

It's amazing to me that people will complain about a $0.20 price increase.  I'm embarrassed to be a consumer.

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
El Misfit
[Insert witty here]
B-Movie Kraken

Hi there!

« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2011, 09:04:16 PM »

I find it funny how a rise in stuff can get people screaming- rise in gas ($0.05 increase?! F**K!) and now this. people today MUST be really cheap.

yeah no.
Zapranoth
Eye of Sauron and

« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2011, 11:08:10 PM »

$1 or $1.50 is the same to me for a one day rental.  Still will use redbox.

But Netflix... my wife and I simultaneously told them to go f**k themselves with their price increase.   Hatred
Jack
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2011, 07:07:43 AM »

Personally I don't care about the price increase, don't use Redbox anyway, and Netflix is still a great value considering I can get all the movies I can watch for a month for less than the price of one new DVD.

But what a bizarre business move.  With what happened to Netflix stock - from 304 now down to 80 post-price increase - good grief.  Must have some real geniuses running that place.

The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion.

- Paulo Coelho
Mr. DS
Master Of Cinematic Bowel Movements
B-Movie Kraken

Get this thread cleaned up or YOU'RE FIRED!!!

« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2011, 07:15:22 AM »

$1 or $1.50 is the same to me for a one day rental.  Still will use redbox.

But Netflix... my wife and I simultaneously told them to go f**k themselves with their price increase.   Hatred
I still stream but I thank you for doing that.   Thumbup

As for the redbox increase, it was an eventual thing.  The 20 cents thing is silly though.  Why not make it a quarter? Seems more people would be apt to have one.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2011, 07:17:31 AM by DS » Logged

DarkSider's Realm
http://darksidersrealm.blogspot.com/

"You think the honey badger cares?  It doesn't give a sh*t."  Randall
The Burgomaster
Aggravating People Worldwide Since 1964

« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2011, 07:58:13 AM »

It depends on how you look at this.  It's only 20 cents, but that's a 20% price increase.  How would you feel if gasoline, cell phone charges, your cable TV bill or groceries went up by 20%?  By the way, I have never used RedBox, but I think it would be worth it even if the price went up to $2 or more.  I don't think that's an outrageous price for a movie rental by any stretch of the imagination.  Just sayin' . . .

"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone."
Sleepyskull

Well,well,well...

« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2011, 02:28:42 PM »

$1 or $1.50 is the same to me for a one day rental.  Still will use redbox.

But Netflix... my wife and I simultaneously told them to go f**k themselves with their price increase.   Hatred
I still stream but I thank you for doing that.   Thumbup

As for the redbox increase, it was an eventual thing.  The 20 cents thing is silly though.  Why not make it a quarter? Seems more people would be apt to have one.

It might be different in your area, but in Maryland I've only seen Redboxes with the option of paying with a card.

Humanity takes itself too seriously. It is the world`s original sin. - Oscar Wilde
FatFreddysCat
Movies, Metal, Beer!

« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2011, 05:42:40 PM »

It might be different in your area, but in Maryland I've only seen Redboxes with the option of paying with a card.

The vending machines are debit/credit card only. RedBox claims that the reason for the price increase is due to a rise in card processing fees.

Hey, HEY, kids! Check out my way-cool Music and Movie Review blog on HubPages!
http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Nightowl
Bad Movie Lover

Local TV-Movie Nerd!

« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2011, 05:46:57 PM »

Once all the video stores are gone for good, redbox will raise the prices even more.

I'll be sticking to Netflix from now on, Thank you.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2011, 05:49:21 PM by Nightowl » Logged

Flick James

Honorary Bastard of Arts

« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2011, 06:02:38 PM »

Yeah, I'm sticking with NetFlix as well, but I still think it was a dumb move. They could have simply kept things as they were and just raised the montly price a buck, and they wouldn't have experienced such fallout. Then, just wait a year and up it another buck. Nobody would have cared.

I don't always talk about bad movies, but when I do, I prefer badmovies.org
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Now RedBox is raising prices too... « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.