Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 04:03:13 AM
714392 Posts in 53096 Topics by 7742 Members
Latest Member: KathleneKa
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  Seeing Classics Late in Life: A Question « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Seeing Classics Late in Life: A Question  (Read 4396 times)
ChaosTheory
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« on: November 13, 2011, 03:05:37 PM »

This weekend I sat down & watched the GODFATHER movies (well, parts 1 & 2 anyway) for the first time ever.  And, well, I was a little underwhelmed with Part 1 - I was into it for the first half but once Sonny got killed it began to feel really disjointed; also had a hard time investing in most of the characters, apart from Tom and maybe Michael (in the beginning).  If I were to put it up against some of the other gangster movies I've seen in the past, like most notably GOODFELLAS, HEAT and CARLITO'S WAY, it would come up short for me -- which I realize isn't really fair because those movies obviously came much later and were influenced by GODFATHER.  I don't know if it was having seen those other movies first, or if my expectations were too high, or what.   
Weirdly enough, I loved pretty much every frame of Part 2.

Has this happened to anyone else?  Is there a window of discovery for movies as prominently classic as this, or am I just being a philistine?

Through the darkness of future past
The magician longs to see
One chance opts between two worlds
Fire walk with me
Jack
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2011, 04:27:25 PM »

Same here.  I didn't see Suspiria until a few years ago and my attitude towards it falls into the philistine category as well.  Heretical even   Smile

Don't think I could possibly make it all the way through Rocky these days either.  If I ever hear another "Adriaaaaaaannnnnnnn!!!" I think I'd hang myself.

The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion.

- Paulo Coelho
The Burgomaster
Aggravating People Worldwide Since 1964

« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2011, 05:51:29 PM »

I think the problem may be if you wait a long time to see a movie, you will probably hear about it, read about it, see parodies of it, see clips of it, and see other movies that were influenced by it so many times that when you finally watch the movie it will seem "watered down."  GODFATHER and GODFATHER II are my favorite movies by a wide margin.  Other movies drop in and out of my top 10 list, but GODFATHER and GODFATHER II are always at the top.  I have seen the GODFATHER at least 50 times (no exaggeration) and I've probably seen Part II at least 25 or 30 times.  I've seen these movies one or more times in each of the following formats: drive-in, videotape, pay movie channels, commercial televison, DVD.  To me, they are classics . . . but I originally saw them when they were "new."  

"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone."
JaseSF
Super Space Age Freaky Geek
B-Movie Kraken

Soon, your brain will turn to jelly.

« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2011, 06:12:58 PM »

I've yet to see the Godfather movies myself but I do like the old black and white gangster films from the 40s-50s.

"This above all: To thine own self be true!"
Flick James

Honorary Bastard of Arts

« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2011, 11:53:22 AM »

I think the problem may be if you wait a long time to see a movie, you will probably hear about it, read about it, see parodies of it, see clips of it, and see other movies that were influenced by it so many times that when you finally watch the movie it will seem "watered down." 

Great assessment, Burgo.  Thumbup

I do love both Godfather I and II. Everybody has a preference, sure. I don't think I've ever spoken to somebody who loves them equally. I used to prefer I, but over the years I've grown to prefer II.

I don't always talk about bad movies, but when I do, I prefer badmovies.org
The Burgomaster

« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2011, 12:13:57 PM »

I think the problem may be if you wait a long time to see a movie, you will probably hear about it, read about it, see parodies of it, see clips of it, and see other movies that were influenced by it so many times that when you finally watch the movie it will seem "watered down." 

Great assessment, Burgo.  Thumbup

I do love both Godfather I and II. Everybody has a preference, sure. I don't think I've ever spoken to somebody who loves them equally. I used to prefer I, but over the years I've grown to prefer II.

I think the original has better characters, but I think Part II is an overall superior movie.

"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone."
ChaosTheory

« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2011, 01:36:15 PM »

Good point.  Cheers So many of the key scenes/shots have been referenced and parodied so much from the first movie that I knew what was coming a lot of the time, that probably didn't help.  Might also explain why I liked Part II more, less familiarity - although I really enjoyed the whole parallel/contrast between Michael and young Vito and thought II was overall edited better.

Through the darkness of future past
The magician longs to see
One chance opts between two worlds
Fire walk with me
Ed, Ego and Superego

« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2011, 04:44:00 PM »

I did a Charlie Chaplin film fest...all his movies in a row in chronoligial order. He was undoubtedly a genius. Buit you could see that people didn't really knwo what made a film good, or even funny .  They were figuring it out as they went.

Quantum materiae materietur marmota monax si marmota monax materiam possit materiari?

Si Hoc Legere Scis Nimium Eruditionis Habes
The Burgomaster

« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2011, 04:58:29 PM »

I haven't seen GIGLI yet.  I hope seeing it so many years after its release won't ruin it for me.

Flick James

Honorary Bastard of Arts

« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2011, 05:16:33 PM »

I haven't seen GIGLI yet.  I hope seeing it so many years after its release won't ruin it for me.

And the longer you wait, the more the film will have lost it's lustre. I'm expecting a review from you next week.

akiratubo

« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2011, 05:35:29 PM »

You will be disappointed in Gigli.  It isn't all that bad, frankly.  It's certainly nowhere close to good but there's nothing that stands out as exceptionally bad, either.  The only reason it has such a reputation is because Affleck/Lopez were in the media spotlight when it came out and people jumped at a chance to tear them down.

Kneel before Dr. Hell, the ruler of this world!
Hammock Rider

« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2011, 07:08:33 PM »

Films are subjective, like any art. If you don't like one all that means is that you didn't like it.

Jumping Kings and Making Haste Ain't my Cup of Meat
Flick James

Honorary Bastard of Arts

« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2011, 08:02:13 PM »

Films are subjective, like any art. If you don't like one all that means is that you didn't like it.

Well, yes, there is no lack of subjectivity, but I would argue that there is plenty of objectivity as well. This doesn't mean that everybody is going to appreciate Citizen Kane, but most semi-rational people are going to acknowledge the importance and greatness of the film, even if they never see it. I for one have seen it and don't really care for it. That's the subjectivity part. But I understand it's importance and would never call it a piece of s**t. A few would, but most are going to accept that it's a great piece of film art whether they like it or not. That's the objectivity part. So, I don't agree that art is completely subjective.

I love The Godfather Parts I and II. But even if I didn't it would be kind of foolish of me to refuse to acknowledge it's iconic presence and influence. That makes them great films. But I don't have to like them.

The Burgomaster

« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2011, 10:33:20 AM »

Iagree with Flick James.  There is a difference between "good movies" and "movies you like."  I like PLAN 9 FROM OUTER SPACE, but it definitely isn't a good movie.  CITIZEN KANE isn't in my top 10 favorite movies (nor is it in my top 20 . . . maybe not even top 50).  But it's definitely a well-made movie and did some great things with cinematography and sound that were ahead of its time. 

bob
I survived Bucky Larson

Torgo watches you masterbate!

« Reply #14 on: November 15, 2011, 07:49:29 PM »

When I first saw Citizen Kane several months ago I was extremely disappointed and let down....but as the months passed and I started to think about it the more and more I liked it.

Kubrick, Nolan, Tarantino, Wan, Iñárritu, Scorsese, Chaplin, Abrams, Wes Anderson, Gilliam, Kurosawa - the elite

I believe in the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.
Pages: [1] 2
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  Seeing Classics Late in Life: A Question « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.