Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 07:26:36 PM
714385 Posts in 53096 Topics by 7742 Members
Latest Member: KathleneKa
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  Top 10 HAMMER FILMS « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Top 10 HAMMER FILMS  (Read 2593 times)
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

"Charlie,we're in HELL!"-"yeah,ain't it groovy?!"

« on: November 17, 2011, 06:36:46 AM »

Top 10 Time again!

Your Top Ten Hammer Horrors!!!

Understand-I havn't seen all the Hammer films....I really need to see TWINS OF EVIL,LUST FOR A VAMPIRE ,PARANOIC...amog many more.
Well...here are mine...in no certain order...
1.SCARS OF DRACULA (1970)-Dracula gets to speak agin! In the 3 previous outings-after HORROR of DRACULA-Lee's Count was virtually mute-beyond stuff like -"YOU" or "COME". Plus it's a bloody mess!
2.the VAMPIRE LOVERS (1970)-Ingrid Pitt! I recall my Dad and my stepma left us kids-I was all of 8 and my older brother was 10-to go see this. I saw the ads on tv-I think what attracted Dad was the X rating. Lesbian vampires. Cool.
3.ONE MILLION BC (1966)-Dinosaurs! Raquel Welch! Harryhause! Raquel Welch! Hammer! Racheal Welch!
4.the QUARTERMAS XPERIMENT (1955) Great sci fi! And the man mutating into this huge...blob monster-awesome.
5.TASTE THE BLOOD OF DRACULA (1969)-I really like this one alot. Best scene-Ralph Bates drinks Dracula's blood-and morphs into Christopher Lee-red eyes blazing!
6.The EVIL OF FRANKENSTEIN (1964)-Yeah-ok-most would choose CURSE,REVENGE,or MUST BE DESTROYED-but this is my favorite. I just love Kiwi Kingston's rampaging monster! And the scene where he crushes the girl's doll with his big-ass foot creeped me out as a kid!
7.CAPTAIN KRONOS-VAMPIRE HUNTER (1974)-I liked the idea of vampires that drained your youth. And the swashbuckling setting. I wish Hammer had survived long enough to have done a sequel.
8.5 MILLION YEARS FROM EARTH (1967) Alien insects! I love Prof.Quartermass's relentless scientific determination-even if it means the end of the human race. Favorite line-"They were jumping! JUMPING!"
9.the HORROR of DRACULA (1958)-It's just a beautiful,lush,looking film. And the climax with Cushing leaping across the table to yank the curtains and pinning Dracula down with the candle sticks formed as a cross-Lee's crumbling to dust. Classic.
10. The MUMMY (1959)-Lee's fast,stalking Kharis-with his scary darting eyes-much better than any of the slow stumbling Universal mummy's (sorry Lon!)

I wish they hadn't went belly up when they did-they had planned to do a film version of Vampirella! Famous Monsters magazine-in cahoots with Hammer films-took a poll of what Hammers next horror would be...and it was annouced! But sadly...it entered the realm of things not meant to be. Years latter that crap version came out with Roger Daltry-ugh. What a shame.

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)
Interviewer-"Does Dracula ever end for you?
Lugosi-"No. Dracula-never ends."

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
https://www.tumblr.com/ronmerchant
Chainsawmidget
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2011, 03:27:41 PM »

Hammer was going to make Vampirella?  That would have been awesome!  ... as opposed to what we did get, which was just awful. 
JaseSF
Super Space Age Freaky Geek
B-Movie Kraken

Soon, your brain will turn to jelly.

« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2011, 12:40:07 AM »

I have a huge preference for Sci-Fi films myself:

1) The Quatermass Xperiment - Actually RC already described this one well...it's a pretty freaky film actually and the hand melding with the plant really was quite startling.

2) Quatermass and the Pit - fantastic Sci-fi story every bit as epic arguably as 2001 but done on a more B-movie level. Humanity owes its existence to....???

3) Quatermass 2 - just cannot go wrong with Quatermass in the 50s and 60s and this one has its thrilling moments too and a terrific climax.

4) X the Unknown - you know it's great when it makes sludge seem menacing.

5) Revenge of Frankenstein - my personal fave of the Frankenstein films...actually I typically find myself rooting on Baron Frankenstein in this film, something I could't really do in any other of the films.

6) The Mummy (1959) - fantastic and exciting Mummy movie, one of the all time best!

7) The Horror of Dracula - pretty darn fine adaptation of the classic Dracula story and gives him arguably even more bite and edge.

8) One Milllion Years B.C. - Ray Harryhausen dinosaurs and yep Raquel Welch.

9) The Vampire Lovers - Ingrid Pitt indeed!!! drool...

10) The Abominable Snowman - just a fantastic film on every level. A real surprise winner if you've never seen it.

Honorable Mentions:

The Kiss of the Vampire
Captain Kronos, Vampire Hunter
When Dinosaurs Ruled the Earth
The Hound of the Baskervilles
These Are the Damned
Frankenstein and the Monster From Hell
Dr. Jekyll and Sister Hyde
Taste of Fear
Cash on Demand

"This above all: To thine own self be true!"
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2011, 12:59:50 AM »

^Jase!-I would more than likey added more QUATERMASS films to my list-but-theses were the only two Ive seen!
of the Frankenstein series-REVENGE is my second favorite...but I got a weird soft spot for the MONSTER FROM HELL...
not only does it have a great expliotation title worthy of Al Adamson-it's got a big hairy eyeless monster! And Cushing is as heartless as ever as the good Doctor!

Small | Large

Fact is-I love ALL Hammer films-good bad or ugly.  Smile

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2011, 01:16:13 AM »

Hammer was going to make Vampirella?  That would have been awesome!  ... as opposed to what we did get, which was just awful. 

Ingrid Pitt would have been the perfect Vampirella-if not Caroline Munro. It could have been classic.

Bluesadheavy sigh Bluesad

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
Hammock Rider
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2011, 12:14:11 PM »

Horror of Dracula
Curse of the Werewolf
The Two Faces of Dr. Jekyll
Brides of Dracula
Vampire Circus
Frankenstein Must Be Destroyed
Taste the Blood of Dracula
Curse of Frankenstein
Legend of the Seven Golden Vampires
Stranglers of Bombay

That Raquel Welch one was pretty good too. Wink
« Last Edit: November 18, 2011, 12:18:36 PM by Hammock Rider » Logged

Jumping Kings and Making Haste Ain't my Cup of Meat
Raffine

« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2011, 12:39:43 PM »

Can't dispute what everyone else has said, so I'll mention a couple more favorites.

THE GORGON - The plot about one of the snake-haired Gorgon Sisters haunting a small English village is one of the most atmospheric and gloomy of the Hammer horrors. Lee and Cushing are both great playing roles seemingly originally written for the other actor. Probably THE most down-beat of all the Hammer endings.

THE REPTILE - Imaginative, off beat story involving a sort of were-snake and Indian magic and curses with a particularly memorable monster. Otherwise good film is marred by a really awful ending.

PLAGUE OF THE ZOMBIES - One of the last pre-NOTLD zombie films features some creeping walking dead forced to work as slaves in an English mine. Featuring "Burning Crazed Zombies!".

If you're an Andy Milligan fan there's no hope for you.
alandhopewell
A NorthCoaster In Texas

Hey....white women were in season.

« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2011, 12:48:06 PM »

Small | Large

Small | Large

Small | Large

Small | Large

Small | Large

Small | Large

Small | Large

Small | Large

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TvkwBmfZAeo (Embedding disabled, limit reached)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gyKjEUrvlzM (Embedding disabled, limit reached)

If it's true what they say, that GOD created us in His image, then why should we not love creating, and why should we not continue to do so, as carefully and ethically as we can, on whatever scale we're capable of?

The choice is simple; refuse to create, and refuse to grow, or build, with care and love.
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  Top 10 HAMMER FILMS « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.