Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 19, 2024, 03:04:10 AM
712924 Posts in 53040 Topics by 7722 Members
Latest Member: GenevaBarr
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Entertainment  |  What's a favorite album by WHICH BAND?? « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5
Author Topic: What's a favorite album by WHICH BAND??  (Read 33463 times)
Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

Either he's dead or my watch has stopped!

« on: November 30, 2011, 09:04:17 PM »

What's a favorite album by any band, name it.  Let's talk music; the idea is you talk about your favorite album by any group, and about that group.  Promote a favorite or an overlooked underrated gem.  Or crow about a record that's hailed.  Whatever.  I'll start. 

THE ROLLING STONES
I've been listening a lot (only in the car unfortunately these days) to a lot of late '70s early '80s ROLLING STONES.  I don't think there's an album by THE STONES that I don't at least like a little, but these days I've been listening a lot to Some Girls and Tattoo You... I had a giftcard for Barnes & Noble and went online as suggested by a friend and though a bit of a pain in the ass, I ordered Emotional Rescue a record I abhorred 30 years ago.  (I also got FUNKADELIC Maggot Brain.)  All that said, my favorite STONES album would have to be Exile On Main Street.  It's somewhere between those late-era STONES records I'd cited and the classic STONES work I mostly love. 

ROLLING STONES Exile on Main Street    

If you want to view paradise . . . simply look around and view it!
tracy
Inventor of the Turnip Twaddler and
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2011, 01:33:12 PM »

The Beatles' "Sgt.Pepper's Lonley Hearts Club Band" is my favorite album by my very favorite group.

This was a masterpiece of lyrics and music....it invoked such visions,both beautiful and intellectual. It was also starting to really demonstrate how the boys were branching out and going separate ways. Distinct differences in style were quite evident here yet it still flowed together to create a full listening experience.....it's wonderful.

Yes,I'm fine....as long as I don't look too closely.
claws
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2011, 02:46:03 PM »

Death Proof - Various Artists

Most perfect soundtrack in my opinion. I never get tired listening to it because its full of beautiful, great, touching and cool music.

The Smith version of Baby It's You moves me, and The Love You Save by Joe Tex sends chills down my spine. There are actually songs for every mood on this album and yes, I'm listening to this album while typing this.
Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2011, 08:34:30 PM »

The Beatles' "Sgt.Pepper's Lonley Hearts Club Band" is my favorite album by my very favorite group.
...it's wonderful.
Great record; I think Revolver might be their best myself, though I prefer Rubber Soul, but listen to the The Beatles "white album" most often, though my own favorite is Abbey Road...  Wink Thumbup  

Most perfect soundtrack in my opinion. I never get tired listening to it because its full of beautiful, great, touching and cool music...
I think I need to check that out; I do like QUENTIN TARANTINO soundtrack choices (I'm particularly fond of the PULP FICTION soundtrack)...  Smile Thumbup I think I should change the title of this thread...

El Misfit
[Insert witty here]
B-Movie Kraken

Hi there!

« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2011, 10:02:55 PM »

Sublime- Sublime

yeah no.
Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2011, 11:22:00 PM »

Sublime- Sublime

Discuss.

the ghoul
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2011, 09:08:52 AM »

The Cramps:  "Songs the Lord Taught Us"

The most raw and rockin' Cramps album by far, and definitely an American classic.  This is pure rock and roll.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2011, 09:11:14 AM by the ghoul » Logged
HappyGilmore
B-Movie Kraken

I know Quack-Fu.

« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2011, 09:38:30 AM »

ALpocalypse- by "Weird Al" Yankovic.

I'm admittedly a huge fan of Al's.  Even would rank him as my all-time favorite musician, which most people balk at.  This is Al's newest album, released this past summer.  Musically, it's his best album in the non-parody tracks.  The parody songs include parodies of Lady Gaga (in one of his best parodies, targeting her directly and her image), a parody of Taylor Swift that takes jibes at TMZ and paparrazi, a parody of T.I.'s "Whatever You Like" which targets the economy, and a parody of Miley Cyrus.

His non-parody songs include a song that somewhat targets the White Stripes, and it's his most absurd song to date, as it's a tribute to the legacy of Charles Nelson Reilly.  He also has Doors member Ray Mazarek on the album, playing keyboards on a song called "Craigslist", which is a Doors-based non-parody, in which Jim Morrison sings about buying stuff and finding love on the website.  Also has a twisted love song, which sees Taylor Hanson of Hanson playng piano on it.  Also has a five minute long Polka Medley of current pop hits, sung in a polka style. 

It's an album I play fairly often, almost as often as I play some of my Beatles and David Bowie records.  It's just been nominated for two Grammy's, and has a chance of winning at least one of those categories.  He's made funny albums in the past, and is a great comedy writer, but this one takes the cake.

"The path to Heaven runs through miles of clouded Hell."

Don’t get too close, it’s dark inside.
It’s where my demons hide, it’s where my demons hide.
Psycho Circus
B-Movie Kraken

Shake The Faith

« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2011, 11:09:45 AM »

DEATH - "Human" (1991)

I've been listening to an awful lot of death metal lately, in particular the band "Death". I feel that "Human" is an absolute work of art, because it pushes the boundaries of death metal extremely far whilst staying firmly within the genre. It's easily the band's best album and the start of their progression into a more accessible form of technical metal. The late Chuck Schuldiner's vocals are more understandable, his lyrics very prophetic and he surpasses himself on the guitar here. The guitar tone has an almost hypnotic quality that weaves through an insane number of stop-start jazz time signatures. "Secret Face" and "Cosmic Sea" are phenomenal tracks.

Jack
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2011, 02:30:12 PM »

Must have listened to this a gazillion times in high school.  I think it was the only tape I had in my car for about year too.  Gilmour has some pretty fantastic guitar solos, most notably on Comfortably Numb and Another Brick in the Wall pt. 2.  I guess the main themes of building and tearing down the wall are pretty easy to relate to.  Especially at that age.  The album has a wonderful ebb and flow to it as it varies between its mellow and heavy parts. 

The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion.

- Paulo Coelho
tracy

« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2011, 03:10:55 PM »

...it's wonderful.
Great record; I think Revolver might be their best myself, though I prefer Rubber Soul, but listen to the The Beatles "white album" most often, though my own favorite is Abbey Road...  Wink Thumbup  

Most perfect soundtrack in my opinion. I never get tired listening to it because its full of beautiful, great, touching and cool music...
I think I need to check that out; I do like QUENTIN TARANTINO soundtrack choices (I'm particularly fond of the PULP FICTION soundtrack)...  Smile Thumbup I think I should change the title of this thread...

My twin sister would definitely second you on "Revolver"....it's her favorite.

tracy

« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2011, 03:11:50 PM »

ALpocalypse- by "Weird Al" Yankovic.

I'm admittedly a huge fan of Al's.  Even would rank him as my all-time favorite musician, which most people balk at.  This is Al's newest album, released this past summer.  Musically, it's his best album in the non-parody tracks.  The parody songs include parodies of Lady Gaga (in one of his best parodies, targeting her directly and her image), a parody of Taylor Swift that takes jibes at TMZ and paparrazi, a parody of T.I.'s "Whatever You Like" which targets the economy, and a parody of Miley Cyrus.

His non-parody songs include a song that somewhat targets the White Stripes, and it's his most absurd song to date, as it's a tribute to the legacy of Charles Nelson Reilly.  He also has Doors member Ray Mazarek on the album, playing keyboards on a song called "Craigslist", which is a Doors-based non-parody, in which Jim Morrison sings about buying stuff and finding love on the website.  Also has a twisted love song, which sees Taylor Hanson of Hanson playng piano on it.  Also has a five minute long Polka Medley of current pop hits, sung in a polka style. 

It's an album I play fairly often, almost as often as I play some of my Beatles and David Bowie records.  It's just been nominated for two Grammy's, and has a chance of winning at least one of those categories.  He's made funny albums in the past, and is a great comedy writer, but this one takes the cake.

Ah,Weird Al......been a big fan of his for a long time. Thumbup

Flick James

Honorary Bastard of Arts

« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2011, 03:51:30 PM »

I've always been a little more than a moderate Led Zeppeling fan. I don't worship them, but I like them quite a bit. That's a band where it is extremely difficult to pick a favorite album, there are so many good ones. However, if pressed, I would say that Houses of the Holy represents a high-water mark just a hair or two above everything else in their body of work.

To me this album represented a period of time when Zep had arrived as rock and roll royalty, but were still inspired and completely relevant to that part of the 70's in which it was released. It contains arguably my absolute favorite Zep song, "The Song Remains the Same." Jimmy Page had truly arrived at this point in terms of great guitar production. The aforementioned track is so thick with multiple guitar dubs that, especially when listening on headphones, they seem to practically swirl around each other in very satisfying ways. It's just a hell of a great album from start to finish, with the exception of "D'yer Mak'er," which I've never cared for. But the rest of the album is so solid that it remains my "just barely" favorite in spite of that unfortunate track.

But, alas, it IS Led Zeppelin, so everybody is going to have a different favorite album, and good on them for it. It's pretty difficult to fault anybody for preferring Physical Graffiti, or really any of the first four that preceding Houses.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2011, 03:55:27 PM by Flick James » Logged

I don't always talk about bad movies, but when I do, I prefer badmovies.org
alandhopewell
A NorthCoaster In Texas

Hey....white women were in season.

« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2011, 04:28:58 PM »

Todd Rundgren has been my favorite artist for years, and this is my favorite album by him....

I love his solo work, and the original Utopia, but RA, the first album of the new Utopia, just seems to best express what Todd is about, and what I love about his music.

"COMMUNION WITH THE SUN"-I'm a sucker for anthem rock, and this one is like a laser shot up into the night sky, brilliant, coruscuating, potent. I saw them perform this and other songs from the album at the World Series of Rock, Cleveland Municipal Stadium, June, 1977, with this as lead-off-kicked the whole concert into warp.

Small | Large

"MAGIC DRAGON THEATRE"- Light, fun, but still trippy enough to qualify; great vocals.

Small | Large

"JEALOUSY"- Okay rocker.

Small | Large

"ETERNAL LOVE"- Wonderful ballad, showcasing bassist Kasim Sulton's bell-like voice.

Small | Large

"SUNBURST FINISH"- The band being more than the sum of its parts.

Small | Large

SIDE TWO

"HIROSHIMA"-Metal with a conscience.

Small | Large

"SINGRING AND THE GLASS GUITAR"- Eighteen minutes of "electrified fairy tale",
letting each member show out.

Small | Large

Small | Large

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xk0H46EqGyU&feature=related (Embedding disabled, limit reached)

I need to get another copy of this.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2011, 01:30:02 PM by alandhopewell » Logged

If it's true what they say, that GOD created us in His image, then why should we not love creating, and why should we not continue to do so, as carefully and ethically as we can, on whatever scale we're capable of?

The choice is simple; refuse to create, and refuse to grow, or build, with care and love.
lester1/2jr
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #14 on: December 02, 2011, 05:40:00 PM »

circus- I was big into Death when I was in high school, saw them a couple of times. I'd kind of fallen off by Human but Leprosy and Spiritual Healing were amazing.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Entertainment  |  What's a favorite album by WHICH BAND?? « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.