Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 10:04:55 PM
714392 Posts in 53096 Topics by 7742 Members
Latest Member: KathleneKa
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Satan's Cheerleaders (1977) « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Satan's Cheerleaders (1977)  (Read 2427 times)
Derf
Crazy Rabbity Thingy
Proofreader
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Lagomorphs: menace or underutilized resource?

« on: June 21, 2005, 09:09:45 AM »

I saw the title, Satan's Cheerleaders, and couldn't resist buying it. The premise is that a warped janitor (Jack Kruschen), who is also a member of a satanic cult, spies on some cheerleaders through a hole in the shower wall and chooses one of them to be his and curses the rest to death. What he doesn't know is that the prince of darkness also apparently has a crush on this particular cheerleader. Anyway, on the way to the big game, the janitor follows the girls' car and chants until it nearly crashes. He then conveniently offers them a ride, but "detours" to a nearby satanic altar. Here, the cheerleader he has chosen strips and climbs on the altar, where Satan has his way with her (nothing graphic; just a lot of quick, zooming-in-and-out shots, close-ups of the satanic image, and face-shots of the cheerleader writhing in ecstasy. The janitor objects, claiming the girl is his, Satan promised (what are the chances of the lord of lies breaking his word? Go figure.), at which point he is killed the first time (he dies several times), via heart attack.

The girls run to Sheriff B.L. Bubb (John Ireland) for help, but, you guessed it, he is also a satanist--the lead satanist in fact (with a name like that, how could he not be?). His wife, Emma (Yvonne De Carlo) is the high priestess, and she recognizes the "chosen" cheerleader from somewhere. She then warns her husband to kill the cheerleaders because if he doesn't, the cult will be destroyed by the chosen one. It turns out that the chosen cheerleader is apparently a reincarnation of some grand high exalted priestess (Emma finds her picture in Satan's Book). I won't spoil the ending, even it is not at all suprising or shocking (although there is one semi-clever twist involving Sheriff Bubb).

The movie is half serious, half tongue in cheek. The actors play it straight, but the dialogue is (I hope) purposely atrocious, with the cheerleaders making constant double entendre jokes, while their sponsor, Ms. Johnson, never catches on that, surprisingly, the girls are all sluts to some degree. Some of it was painful to watch, some of it hilarious. I enjoyed it for the most part. I probably would have had more fun with it if I had watched it with friends, but very few people around here appreciate the haute couture of bad movies (yes, I know I'm not using haute couture in a proper context, but foreign phrases always sound better than plain old Amurrican talk, don't you think?).

Cameos by John Carradine and Sydney Chaplin add to the movie, and Yvonne De Carlo is always nice to watch. The title alone makes it a classic bad movie in my book, and these otherwise good actors that apparently really needed a paycheck make it watchable.

"They tap dance not, neither do they fart." --Greensleeves, on the Fig Men of the Imagination, in "Twice Upon a Time."
lester1/2jr
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2005, 12:50:12 PM »

just knowing it has a john carradine  cameo was enough for me to want it.

alandhopewell
A NorthCoaster In Texas

Hey....white women were in season.

« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2011, 03:25:43 PM »

I saw the title, Satan's Cheerleaders, and couldn't resist buying it. The premise is that a warped janitor (Jack Kruschen), who is also a member of a satanic cult, spies on some cheerleaders through a hole in the shower wall and chooses one of them to be his and curses the rest to death. What he doesn't know is that the prince of darkness also apparently has a crush on this particular cheerleader. Anyway, on the way to the big game, the janitor follows the girls' car and chants until it nearly crashes. He then conveniently offers them a ride, but "detours" to a nearby satanic altar. Here, the cheerleader he has chosen strips and climbs on the altar, where Satan has his way with her (nothing graphic; just a lot of quick, zooming-in-and-out shots, close-ups of the satanic image, and face-shots of the cheerleader writhing in ecstasy. The janitor objects, claiming the girl is his, Satan promised (what are the chances of the lord of lies breaking his word? Go figure.), at which point he is killed the first time (he dies several times), via heart attack.

The girls run to Sheriff B.L. Bubb (John Ireland) for help, but, you guessed it, he is also a satanist--the lead satanist in fact (with a name like that, how could he not be?). His wife, Emma (Yvonne De Carlo) is the high priestess, and she recognizes the "chosen" cheerleader from somewhere. She then warns her husband to kill the cheerleaders because if he doesn't, the cult will be destroyed by the chosen one. It turns out that the chosen cheerleader is apparently a reincarnation of some grand high exalted priestess (Emma finds her picture in Satan's Book). I won't spoil the ending, even it is not at all suprising or shocking (although there is one semi-clever twist involving Sheriff Bubb).

The movie is half serious, half tongue in cheek. The actors play it straight, but the dialogue is (I hope) purposely atrocious, with the cheerleaders making constant double entendre jokes, while their sponsor, Ms. Johnson, never catches on that, surprisingly, the girls are all sluts to some degree. Some of it was painful to watch, some of it hilarious. I enjoyed it for the most part. I probably would have had more fun with it if I had watched it with friends, but very few people around here appreciate the haute couture of bad movies (yes, I know I'm not using haute couture in a proper context, but foreign phrases always sound better than plain old Amurrican talk, don't you think?).

Cameos by John Carradine and Sydney Chaplin add to the movie, and Yvonne De Carlo is always nice to watch. The title alone makes it a classic bad movie in my book, and these otherwise good actors that apparently really needed a paycheck make it watchable.

Movies like this were the backbone of all-night tv in the 70's-80's; it played several times on MOVIE 5 during 1978 and '79.
Get together some friends, some Old English, some Chokin' Red, and it's Movie Time!

If it's true what they say, that GOD created us in His image, then why should we not love creating, and why should we not continue to do so, as carefully and ethically as we can, on whatever scale we're capable of?

The choice is simple; refuse to create, and refuse to grow, or build, with care and love.
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

"Charlie,we're in HELL!"-"yeah,ain't it groovy?!"

« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2011, 04:27:52 PM »

I love the scene with the dogs....Yvonne tells them to attck,John Ireland calls them back...attack-back! Attack! Come Back!
Kills me. BounceGiggle

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)
Interviewer-"Does Dracula ever end for you?
Lugosi-"No. Dracula-never ends."

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
https://www.tumblr.com/ronmerchant
Chainsawmidget
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2011, 12:36:42 AM »

I enjoyed the movie, It was surprisingly lighthearted and far less explotative than the tile would suggest.  Normally I wouldn't view these as good things, but it worked here. 
JPickettIII
A BAD MOVIE IS A TERRIBLE THING TO WASTE!
Bad Movie Lover

HELP! WE ARE STUCK IN A GOOD MOVIE!!!

« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2011, 11:13:29 PM »

just knowing it has a john carradine  cameo was enough for me to want it.

2nd that!

\\\\\\\"Freedom is not free\"\\\\\\ or ///\"Where ever you go, there you are!\"///
Warp Ninja X
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2011, 07:16:22 PM »

I remember watching this movie and Star Hops, The Pom Pom Girls, The Van, Van Nuys Blvd, and Supervan right after American Bandstand on channel 5 Cleveland in the late 70's early 80's good times.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2011, 01:44:15 AM by Warp Ninja X » Logged
alandhopewell
A NorthCoaster In Texas

Hey....white women were in season.

« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2012, 04:22:43 PM »

I remember watching this movie and Star Hops, The Pom Pom Girls, The Van, Van Nuys Blvd, and Supervan right after American Bandstand on channel 5 Cleveland in the late 70's early 80's good times.

True dat! MOVIE 5, along with Channel 8's LATE NIGHT MOVIE / 8 ALL NIGHT, were the places to be for great American cheese.

If it's true what they say, that GOD created us in His image, then why should we not love creating, and why should we not continue to do so, as carefully and ethically as we can, on whatever scale we're capable of?

The choice is simple; refuse to create, and refuse to grow, or build, with care and love.
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Satan's Cheerleaders (1977) « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.