Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 19, 2024, 05:47:04 AM
712927 Posts in 53040 Topics by 7722 Members
Latest Member: GenevaBarr
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Press Releases and Film News  |  And the 2012 Academy Award Nominees Are... « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: And the 2012 Academy Award Nominees Are...  (Read 2892 times)
InformationGeek
Leader of the Friends' for Info
B-Movie Site Webmaster
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Let's all be Friends.

« on: January 24, 2012, 09:37:24 AM »

Just in case any of you guys give a crap (I know a bunch of you don't), here's what's up for awards this year:

http://www.oscars.org/awards/academyawards/84/nominees.html

What?  No Tintin for best animated film?  Not even Winnie the Pooh?!  Instead, you nominated A Cat in Paris, a 2010 film?  For shame!  Oh well, go Rango!

Looks like Hugo really is up for a lot of awards, or at least Midnight in Paris.  Much better of a choice than say, War Horse.

We live in quite an interesting age. You can tell someone's sexual orientation and level of education from just their interests.
ChaosTheory

« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2012, 11:21:22 AM »

"The ceremonies are a two-hour meat parade, a public display with contrived suspense for economic reasons."
--George C. Scott, 1970
He gets more right every year.  I used to at least find the Oscars entertaining but this is just ridiculous. Not one but three contrived award-bait movies in that Best Picture list?  The Help and War Horse I can at least see the precedent for why they're there (white guilt & Speilberg) but NOBODY liked Extremely Loud & Incredibly Close, it's insulting to the people who actually went through 9/11.
Kind of surprised Fincher got shut out, but I guess I shouldn't be.  (I'm still bitter about Zodiac, especially since nothing he's done since has impressed me.)
I'm on the fence about the Bridesmaids noms.  On the one hand, the Academy so rarely acknowledges comedy that it's nice to see.  On the other hand, Bridesmaids really wasn't THAT good.
I'm as baffled as you by the Animated noms.  So we don't acknowledge stop-motion OR cell animation now? 
Jonah Hill, Oscar Nominee - that's a phrase that shouldn't exist.
And WHERE THE f**k is Michael Fassbender?!?!?!?

On the plus side, Gary Oldman is amazing, and I believe this is his first ever nomination.  Too bad Clooney's name was engraved on this award months ago.

Through the darkness of future past
The magician longs to see
One chance opts between two worlds
Fire walk with me
ulthar

I AM serious, and stop calling me Shirley

« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2012, 12:17:48 PM »

I sure don't know much of anything about most of these nominees, but I've just got to say...

KUNG FU PANDA II ??

Wow.

I have not seen it (or the first one), but really?  Throw-away dreck production with cliche pop-culture references is Oscar material now?

I agree...where's TIN TIN?

I also loved RIO, which was (in my opinion) better than RANGO on several levels.  But still, RANGO at least makes sense.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Professor Hathaway:  I noticed you stopped stuttering.
Bodie:      I've been giving myself shock treatments.
Professor Hathaway: Up the voltage.

--Real Genius
InformationGeek
Leader of the Friends' for Info
B-Movie Site Webmaster

Let's all be Friends.

« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2012, 01:00:30 PM »

I sure don't know much of anything about most of these nominees, but I've just got to say...

KUNG FU PANDA II ??

Wow.

I have not seen it (or the first one), but really?  Throw-away dreck production with cliche pop-culture references is Oscar material now?

Actually, Kung Fu Panda II is very solid.  The only pop culture reference that movie had was a Pac-Man one, but it was very brief.  This movie felt more like a Pixar movie than Cars 2 was.  It's a solid kung fu film with stellar action scenes, some big emotional moments, and quite funny even.  It's a lot better than what it looks like.  It's How to Train Your Dragon, the title doesn't invoke much in you but when you see it, you'll be amazed at how enjoyable and wonderful it can be.

I used to at least find the Oscars entertaining but this is just ridiculous. Not one but three contrived award-bait movies in that Best Picture list?  The Help and War Horse I can at least see the precedent for why they're there (white guilt & Speilberg) but NOBODY liked Extremely Loud & Incredibly Close, it's insulting to the people who actually went through 9/11.

The thing about Extremely Loud & Incredibly Close, it's really not about 9/11.  Sure, his father died in it, but that's all.  The story takes place a few years after the events.  The story is about kid whose finds this key in a vase one day.  Before his dad died, his father use to set up these  little puzzles and challenges for the kid to figure out to help him cope or understand different things (the kid suffers from some unknown mental illness).  The kid then decides to solve this one last puzzle his father has left behind and figure out what the key goes to. 

This isn't like Remember Me with that sparkly guy from Twilight where 9/11 is crowbared into the film in such an insulting way and set up as twist in film that has no need for one.

Also for contrived award-bait movies, the Academy does that all the time.  Remember the year where The Reader was nominated over stuff like The Dark Knight (Your mileage may vary), Wall-E, Gran Torino, and The Wrestler?  Also, let's not forget the years where Crash and The King's Speech won.  I could go on with other winners (Around the World in 80 Days) and nominees (The Piano), but I made my point.  Award Bait is big with these guys.

We live in quite an interesting age. You can tell someone's sexual orientation and level of education from just their interests.
JayJayM12
Regulary relieves himself on hospitality...
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2012, 01:07:13 PM »

I was hoping that "Drive" would sneak in with a nomination or two, but no such luck (not really surprised or anything).

It also would have been nice to see Andy Serkis get some motion capture love!

I'm on the fence about the Bridesmaids noms.  On the one hand, the Academy so rarely acknowledges comedy that it's nice to see.  On the other hand, Bridesmaids really wasn't THAT good.

This.  I agree - I really liked "Bridesmaids" a lot, but didn't quite think it was Oscar-worthy.  BUT - it is nice to see a mainstream comedy get some recognition. 

Check out my movie reviews and articles at:  www.cinedump.com<br /><br />Or, don\\\'t check them out - see if I care.  You\\\'re not my real mom anyway.  Unless, you are.  In which case, whatever, I\\\'ll do what I want.  It\\\'s my hot body.  Y\\\'all don\\\'t know me.
ChaosTheory

« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2012, 02:24:02 PM »

I used to at least find the Oscars entertaining but this is just ridiculous. Not one but three contrived award-bait movies in that Best Picture list?  The Help and War Horse I can at least see the precedent for why they're there (white guilt & Speilberg) but NOBODY liked Extremely Loud & Incredibly Close, it's insulting to the people who actually went through 9/11.

The thing about Extremely Loud & Incredibly Close, it's really not about 9/11.  Sure, his father died in it, but that's all.  The story takes place a few years after the events.  The story is about kid whose finds this key in a vase one day.  Before his dad died, his father use to set up these  little puzzles and challenges for the kid to figure out to help him cope or understand different things (the kid suffers from some unknown mental illness).  The kid then decides to solve this one last puzzle his father has left behind and figure out what the key goes to. 

This isn't like Remember Me with that sparkly guy from Twilight where 9/11 is crowbared into the film in such an insulting way and set up as twist in film that has no need for one.

Also for contrived award-bait movies, the Academy does that all the time.  Remember the year where The Reader was nominated over stuff like The Dark Knight (Your mileage may vary), Wall-E, Gran Torino, and The Wrestler?  Also, let's not forget the years where Crash and The King's Speech won.  I could go on with other winners (Around the World in 80 Days) and nominees (The Piano), but I made my point.  Award Bait is big with these guys.

Extremely Loud isn't about 9/11 the same way The Reader wasn't about the Holocaust.  And I know award bait is big with the Academy; that's the whole point and the whole problem.  It's just a lot more blatant this year.
At any rate, I didn't watch the ceremony last year, I won't be watching this year, and it's unlikely that I ever will again.

Through the darkness of future past
The magician longs to see
One chance opts between two worlds
Fire walk with me
tracy
Inventor of the Turnip Twaddler and

« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2012, 02:25:02 PM »

I'd actually like to see "Rango" win for Best Animated Feature.

Yes,I'm fine....as long as I don't look too closely.
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Press Releases and Film News  |  And the 2012 Academy Award Nominees Are... « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.