Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 19, 2024, 06:01:01 AM
712927 Posts in 53040 Topics by 7722 Members
Latest Member: GenevaBarr
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Television  |  grey's anatomy (and other medical shows) « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: grey's anatomy (and other medical shows)  (Read 6089 times)
Living_Dead_Girl
Bad Movie Lover

Excuse me. You need to go back to grad school.

« on: January 29, 2012, 07:13:27 PM »

The thing that annoys me about the majority off medical shows, is that the focus is on the doctors being heroic, over the patients struggling pain. And the Nurses and other hospital staff are just background extras. When in reality they all have a part in helping patients. Off course we all know TV is not always real. So yeah that's just TV. Most medical shows are still good, There are shows that are not so cliché as the others. Like Nurse Jackie and Scrubs.

But grey's anatomy annoys me because it seems the doctors only truly care about who slept with who, and who hates who. And it's boring enough in real life ... so we watch them. It's more like days off our lives than a hospital Drama. I have seen episodes where there has been a disaster off some kind. so the E.R. is full off burnt, bloodied, any way injured people. And as they are tending to a dying person they are able to go "I can't believe you slept with her!!" or whatever... And still save the day, because they are better than the person they hate... They will rub it in their face latter. And have another fight. And if not, and they have to see the chief off hospital staff they say "I am only human" And yell their head off at the chief of hospital staff and storm off. This is what gets the show ratings cause people love drama. But it is what I hate about the show. Not cause it is not what happens in hospital, it is just silly.

I guess someone likes it, for it to go for 8 seasons and for it to be highly viewed and rated. Does anyone on BadMovies.Org like Greys anatomy?

Also is there any good or bad Medical Dramas you would like to mention??

Any medical drama or show, gets analysed by health care professionals. To see how realistic it is. Nursing educators and Registered Nurses I work with at the nursing home I work in, tell me about a lot off things that only happen on TV and why it can not happen in real life, if they have worked in different places. Being a patient yourself, you might see why. I guess TV is meant to be entertaining if anything else... So yeah the producers don't really mind. xD

It's hard for me to ignore these things though ... once you see it. >_<

Then I did not just look into the mirror, I looked through the mirror...
The Gravekeeper
addicted to the macabre
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2012, 08:56:06 PM »

It happens with any work of fiction about any profession. I mean, hell, I'm just a layman with an interest in forensics and psychology, and even I spot things that are just flat-out wrong in shows dealing with either subject. Imagine how I must feel as an art student when I see artists represented in fiction (honestly, most of us aren't that loopy and out-of-touch with reality; most art studios I've seen look more like factories and workshops than anything).

In regards to your question, I'd say Scrubs. At least that one's funny.

Jack
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2012, 07:27:42 AM »

The only medical show I ever watched was Quincy.  He was a medical examiner and always solving whatever crime had resulted in a body ending up in his autopsy room.  Of course it's a pretty laughable premise as obviously the cops would be doing all the investigating, but the cops were all thick as a brick so it fell to Quincy to do the job of the entire police department.  But it was a pretty good show with likable characters and at least passably interesting plots.  It seemed like later on though he was always on some moral crusade for one thing or another.  It got tiresome so I quit watching.

The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion.

- Paulo Coelho
Living_Dead_Girl
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2012, 10:25:39 AM »

True, any work off fiction about any profession will be partly wrong. I guess my point is greys anatomy is just pretentious and annoying with their over the top and lame Drama about "I hate that other doctor, for sleeping with the person I loved when they were getting over what my best friend did to them... Because they loved my best friend and now my best friend hates me too"

Most medical shows like Dr. Doogie Howser, becker and house. Are pretty decent. Even though they are not Medical Hospital training videos, just entertainment.

ulthar
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

I AM serious, and stop calling me Shirley

« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2012, 11:07:16 AM »

True, any work off fiction about any profession will be partly wrong. I guess my point is greys anatomy is just pretentious and annoying with their over the top and lame Drama about "I hate that other doctor, for sleeping with the person I loved when they were getting over what my best friend did to them... Because they loved my best friend and now my best friend hates me too"

Most medical shows like Dr. Doogie Howser, becker and house. Are pretty decent. Even though they are not Medical Hospital training videos, just entertainment.

I've never watched it, not one single episode, but it's my understanding that "Grey's Anatomy" was never intended to be a medical show - it is a night time soap opera that happens to be set in a hospital with doctor characters.

If you want a good medical show, check out the first few seasons of "ER, the seasons before IT became a soap opera.  There's also the first few seasons of "St. Elsewhere."

A lot of shows like this end up being soaps, though. "Hill Street Blues" and "NYPD Blue" did it with cops, "LA Law" did it with lawyers and the medical shows do the same.  They start out with a few strong seasons focused on story, and devolve into soap opera as cheap, easy characterization.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Professor Hathaway:  I noticed you stopped stuttering.
Bodie:      I've been giving myself shock treatments.
Professor Hathaway: Up the voltage.

--Real Genius
tracy
Inventor of the Turnip Twaddler and

« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2012, 02:06:51 PM »

The only medical show I ever watched was Quincy.  He was a medical examiner and always solving whatever crime had resulted in a body ending up in his autopsy room.  Of course it's a pretty laughable premise as obviously the cops would be doing all the investigating, but the cops were all thick as a brick so it fell to Quincy to do the job of the entire police department.  But it was a pretty good show with likable characters and at least passably interesting plots.  It seemed like later on though he was always on some moral crusade for one thing or another.  It got tiresome so I quit watching.
Quincy was a good show and I never missed it. As for Grey's Anatomy,well,I dislike it for many of the reasons Living Dead Girl stated. It seems more like a soap opera than a medical show.
 Now,there was a program called Emergency. While not exactly a medical show it did have paramedics that dealt a lot with the hospital. I actually learned a number of things from it for it was well researched.

Yes,I'm fine....as long as I don't look too closely.
Living_Dead_Girl
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2012, 07:50:01 PM »

I've never watched it, not one single episode, but it's my understanding that "Grey's Anatomy" was never intended to be a medical show - it is a night time soap opera that happens to be set in a hospital with doctor characters.

If you want a good medical show, check out the first few seasons of "ER, the seasons before IT became a soap opera.  There's also the first few seasons of "St. Elsewhere."

A lot of shows like this end up being soaps, though. "Hill Street Blues" and "NYPD Blue" did it with cops, "LA Law" did it with lawyers and the medical shows do the same.  They start out with a few strong seasons focused on story, and devolve into soap opera as cheap, easy characterization.

Drama Sells. Because people sit there and think "I can't believe she did that!" Sometimes Dramas can be good. But when I watch Soap Operas at work. I laugh at the silly things the show talks about. Like on one show a girl was trapped in a ski lift... I am like ????????

I can see the soap Opera Resemblance in NYPD Blue. Lol. And I forgot to mention E.R. that show is intense.

HappyGilmore
B-Movie Kraken

I know Quack-Fu.

« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2012, 01:11:09 PM »

I only recall watching E.R. and Doogie Howser.

E.R. was fairly decent over the years, and seemed to blend the 'personal lives' vs. 'doctor-patient' dynamic fairly well.

"The path to Heaven runs through miles of clouded Hell."

Don’t get too close, it’s dark inside.
It’s where my demons hide, it’s where my demons hide.
tracy
Inventor of the Turnip Twaddler and

« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2012, 01:14:54 PM »

I prefered St.Elsewhere myself.

Yes,I'm fine....as long as I don't look too closely.
lester1/2jr
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2012, 04:45:11 PM »

I liked "A Case of Need' (book)
ulthar

I AM serious, and stop calling me Shirley

« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2012, 04:56:55 PM »

I liked "A Case of Need' (book)

That's a pretty good book.

Another good one is "House of God," by Samual Shem.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Professor Hathaway:  I noticed you stopped stuttering.
Bodie:      I've been giving myself shock treatments.
Professor Hathaway: Up the voltage.

--Real Genius
The Burgomaster
Aggravating People Worldwide Since 1964

« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2012, 04:35:15 PM »

The thing that annoys me about the majority off medical shows, is that the focus is on the doctors being heroic, over the patients struggling pain. And the Nurses and other hospital staff are just background extras.

In real life, you see your doctor for about 10 minutes a day while you're in the hospital.  The nurses, on the other hand, are always hovering around, chatting with you, and bringing you things.

"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone."
Living_Dead_Girl
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2012, 07:36:43 PM »

The thing that annoys me about the majority off medical shows, is that the focus is on the doctors being heroic, over the patients struggling pain. And the Nurses and other hospital staff are just background extras.

In real life, you see your doctor for about 10 minutes a day while you're in the hospital.  The nurses, on the other hand, are always hovering around, chatting with you, and bringing you things.

EXSACTALLY!

I was a Regular at the Local hospital from when I was 19 to 23! And trust me Nurses are awesome. They give you emotional Comfort which does honestly help you when your sick. I got into Nursing because I got such respect for Nurses after those days.

HappyGilmore
B-Movie Kraken

I know Quack-Fu.

« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2012, 03:28:27 PM »

Almost got into nursing, myself. Didn't work out that way, unfortunately.

"The path to Heaven runs through miles of clouded Hell."

Don’t get too close, it’s dark inside.
It’s where my demons hide, it’s where my demons hide.
Pacman000
« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2012, 04:27:16 PM »

I used to watch Doc.  It was a good show, and they did have nurses major characters (well, a nurse, and an episode about another nurse).  Unfortunately, Pax's made few episodes per season, and it was (relatively) successful, so they played it 7 days a week.  Lookingup  If you play a weekly show, a show which had too few episodes to begin with, every day, it gets old pretty quick.
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Television  |  grey's anatomy (and other medical shows) « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.