Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 12:33:26 AM
714392 Posts in 53096 Topics by 7742 Members
Latest Member: KathleneKa
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Do You Speak Any Other Languages? « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Do You Speak Any Other Languages?  (Read 5410 times)
Flick James
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Honorary Bastard of Arts

« on: February 04, 2012, 01:54:32 PM »

We all communicate via the English language here.

I've always been fascinated by language and linguistics. I've learned some basics from several languages, but nothing to the point of being conversational. I've done this with Spanish, Italian, German, French, and Greek. I couldn't have a decent conversation with anybody for whom those are native languages, but I could find my way around via street signs, ask directions, and order a meal well enough to get by I reckon.

I've always appreciated people who can speak multiple languages and do it well. I am envious of the superior experience that they must have in those countries as a result. I was in Crete on a port visit in the Navy and got friendly with a couple of civilian contractors who were on board. One of them spoke Greek fluently. I had the pleasure of hitting the town with them one night and saw things and went places in the city that the locals wouldn't dream of guiding the drunk, belligerent sailors to.

So, do you speak any languages other than English? If so, what languages and to what degree? And do you find it to be a great benefit?

It seems like it would be. My father, not a bad guy, was just from a culture that was what it was, and he had that provincial attitude that learning other languages was a complete waste of time. No son of his was going to speak anything other than English, and so on. As a result, I was never exposed to it growing up, when it would have really stuck. I loved my dad, and there were other valuable things I learned from him, but I've always kind of resented that I lived in an area where there were ample opportunities, but he just wouldn't have it. I would love to speak another language or two well. I'm sure I could put some effort into it, but at my age it will never stick or be as second-nature as it would be if I had been exposed to multi-ligualism as a child.

I don't always talk about bad movies, but when I do, I prefer badmovies.org
A_Dubya
Bad Movie Lover

I'm no hero, never was. I'm just an old killer.

« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2012, 04:45:06 PM »

I have a degree in Spanish. I've been studying it most of my life.

This space free, since Photobucket is on dust.

PSN ID: A_Dubya13
Flick James

Honorary Bastard of Arts

« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2012, 06:08:46 PM »

I have a degree in Spanish. I've been studying it most of my life.

Travis Bickle es muy loco, si? Es posible que necesite un abrazo.

I don't always talk about bad movies, but when I do, I prefer badmovies.org
retrorussell
In the town of Valentine Bluffs, there are many ways to die. Take your pick.

Hanniger! I'll be waiting in HELL for you!

« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2012, 07:48:17 PM »

I know a very slight smattering of Nihongo (Japanese).

"O the legend they say, on a Valentine's Day, is a curse that'll live on and on.."
HappyGilmore
B-Movie Kraken

I know Quack-Fu.

« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2012, 11:39:11 PM »

I can speak a bit of Spanish. Studied it a bit in school.

I work with people of Mexican and El Salvadoran background. A couple speak no English. I can communicate with them to a degree. I understand a bit more than I can actually speak, if that makes sense.

"The path to Heaven runs through miles of clouded Hell."

Don’t get too close, it’s dark inside.
It’s where my demons hide, it’s where my demons hide.
El Misfit
[Insert witty here]
B-Movie Kraken

Hi there!

« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2012, 01:03:43 AM »

does gibberish count? Twirling Twirling Twirling I studied Spanish for a bit, but then quit. Even less with French.

yeah no.
Derf
Crazy Rabbity Thingy
Proofreader

Lagomorphs: menace or underutilized resource?

« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2012, 08:28:43 AM »

I have my masters degree in English and very little gift for other languages. I took two years of French in college and could probably struggle my way around France as long as I didn't have to hold an actual conversation (or be beaten up because I am a filthy American  TongueOut). I grew up in a mostly Hispanic part of the country, so I can also get around in Spanish (reading it), though I don't speak it well enough to do much more than cuss your mother or order dinner. Italian is close enough to Latin that I can at least recognize a lot of words in their association with my smattering of the Latin roots of English words. I have a good ear for dialects and accents and can often place people's place of origin by how they speak, but I simply don't have the gift of learning (read: thinking in) other languages.

I speak Pig Latin and Pirate fluently, though. And I occasionally break out in academic-ese, which is like a whole other language to most people.

"They tap dance not, neither do they fart." --Greensleeves, on the Fig Men of the Imagination, in "Twice Upon a Time."
The Burgomaster
Aggravating People Worldwide Since 1964

« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2012, 12:11:11 PM »

Not fluently.  But my wife is from Brazil and I can usually fake my way through enough Portuguese to get by.  I can read it and understand it when other people talk far better than I can speak it.

"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone."
Couchtr26

« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2012, 10:43:55 PM »

I speak some German but mostly poorly.  However, I'm always working to improve it.  It is most difficult in some of its sentence formation but I find it easier and easier as I go.  I have been out of practice for a few months though and suffered some for it. 

I took French in school and I think that is where I had the most trouble as I never felt like I choose it while I did at the same time.  I always tried to stay away from Spanish as I have relatives that speak it and thought it would be better to learn something else.  I'm still fair with French provided I don't have to go out of present tense verb conjugations. 

Spanish I have a little ear for from hearing but have never actually sat down and studied. 

I know a little Portuguese as well from having known someone from Brazil, though nothing outside of some basic nouns and a few phrases.   

Ah, the good old days.
El Misfit
[Insert witty here]
B-Movie Kraken

Hi there!

« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2012, 12:39:08 AM »

I also speak trees, and so I speak for the trees. I am the Lorax. TongueOut

yeah no.
Trevor
Uncle Zombie and Eminent Shitologist
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2012, 01:41:48 AM »

so I can also get around in Spanish (reading it), though I don't speak it well enough to do much more than cuss your mother or order dinner.

TeddyR TeddyR

So you might perhaps be able to tell me what John Leguizamo said to that zombie in Land of The Dead after he shot the thing in the eye?  Wink

Oy spik pefekt brokun Eenglish and good Afrikaans ~ I also know when I'm being sworn at in Italian or German.

I know I can make it on my own if I try, but I'm searching for the Great Heart
To stand me by, underneath the African sky
A Great Heart to stand me by.
Jack
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2012, 08:04:34 AM »

I took a couple years of Spanish in elementary school and a semester of German in high school.  So I can count to ten in both languages and also know what "verboten", "gesundheit" and "señorita" mean.

The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion.

- Paulo Coelho
Derf
Crazy Rabbity Thingy
Proofreader

Lagomorphs: menace or underutilized resource?

« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2012, 08:09:43 AM »

so I can also get around in Spanish (reading it), though I don't speak it well enough to do much more than cuss your mother or order dinner.

TeddyR TeddyR

So you might perhaps be able to tell me what John Leguizamo said to that zombie in Land of The Dead after he shot the thing in the eye?  Wink

Oy spik pefekt brokun Eenglish and good Afrikaans ~ I also know when I'm being sworn at in Italian or German.

While I haven't seen Land of the Dead, I know enough about John Leguizamo to know almost no one can understand what the #$%^ he's talking about most of the time.  TongueOut

And it's easy to know when I'm being sworn at in French: They're lips are moving. I am an American, after all.  TeddyR

"They tap dance not, neither do they fart." --Greensleeves, on the Fig Men of the Imagination, in "Twice Upon a Time."
Newt
Mostly Harmless. Mostly.

I want to be Ripley when I grow up.

« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2012, 08:51:34 AM »

When I caught myself thinking in French one day as I made my way down the hall after French class in high school I was startled.  It has been a long time since and I'm afraid I would have to do considerable excavating to 'dust off' my French before it was anywhere near as usable now.   Bluesad  But it is still there enough to allow me to watch movies in that language without the subtitles.  

I took one year of Latin in university.  Just enough that I know I never want to work that hard again (it was one of those "all the latin you would have learned in high school, from scratch, packed into one year" courses - ugh!) and can puzzle out word meanings in related languages and make rough translations of Latin phrases.  I rather enjoy that and my kids have found it useful.

And I have picked up a smattering of words and phrases in several other languages.  It's fun.  Sometimes I think of my brain as being one big lint brush, collecting bits of colourful stuff that have been shed in my vicinity... TongueOut

eta: upon further thought, I will mention that I speak 'equid' quite fluently.  Any decent horseman does: we have continuous conversations in 'horse' with the horses whenever we are around the animals.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2012, 09:47:51 AM by Newt » Logged

"May I offer you a Peek Frean?" - Walter Bishop
"Thank you for appreciating my descent into deviant behavior, Mr. Reese." - Harold Finch
The Burgomaster
Aggravating People Worldwide Since 1964

« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2012, 10:43:38 AM »

I speak the language of love . . .

"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone."
Pages: [1] 2
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Do You Speak Any Other Languages? « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.