Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 10:36:21 AM
714401 Posts in 53097 Topics by 7742 Members
Latest Member: KathleneKa
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Coffin Joe « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Coffin Joe  (Read 1947 times)
Flick James
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Honorary Bastard of Arts

« on: January 31, 2012, 07:00:37 PM »

I've always been strangely intrigued by the films of Jose Mojica Marins, better known by his alter-ego Coffin Joe. My intrigue comes not so much from the surrealism present in them, although that does fascinate me. No, my intrigue comes from trying to figure out what Marins is trying to do with his films. Does he believe in the message of Coffin Joe to some extent, that is, is he trying to communicate an actual philosophy? Or is Coffin Joe more of a cautionary character? Or was Coffin Joe and his bizarre philosophy merely invented for pure entertainment purposes?

I don't doubt that the latter is partially true, but there is something truly disturbing about Coffin Joe. His character is so depraved, yet applies a certain logic to his actions that seem to suggest he is a brilliant yet delusional character. At times his quotes and supposed philosophy remind me of the likes of Anton LeVay.

I guess what intrigues and disturbs me so much about these films is that I can't get a firm grasp on what Marins is trying to achieve with them, or how seriously he takes the character of Coffin Joe.

Discuss.

I don't always talk about bad movies, but when I do, I prefer badmovies.org
indianasmith
Archeologist, Theologian, Elder Scrolls Addict, and a
B-Movie Kraken

A good bad movie is like popcorn for the soul!

« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2012, 07:34:51 PM »

I've actually caught a couple of these in part on IFC, they are definitely strange.  But I haven't watched all of any of them from start to finish, so I don't think I can really discuss them in depth.

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
WingedSerpent

I AM THE BAD PHOTOSHOP EFFECT!

« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2012, 09:18:35 PM »

I had to dig into one of my old magazine boxes so I could find my one copy of the horror magazine Rue Morgue, #85 .  There was a pretty extensive article on the Coffin Joe films(the first time I had heard of the character) and an interview with Jose Mojica Marnis on how he came to create the character.

Coffin Joe was partially created from a nightmare figure that appeared Marnis in a terrible dream after he had taken a very strong sleeping pill. His philosophy is not that of Marnis. It's just that, his philosophy would be seen as unsettling to the audience.   (Brazil, which has a very large Catholic population. Marnis identified himself as a Catholic in the article.)   

He wanted to make a movie, because after he woke up from that dream, he felt that there was some sort of evil presence inside him. The film was a way to explore that feeling.

I tried to find the article in an online version to link hear-but couldn't find one.

At least, that's what Gary Busey told me...
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2012, 09:48:45 AM »

Marins talks a little about the character of Coffin Joe and what he's trying to achieve in this interview: http://www.offscreen.com/index.php/phile/essays/mojica_marins/.

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
Raffine

« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2012, 09:09:51 AM »

I got the Coffin Joe box set that came in a little coffin a few years ago. I have to admit I find his movies rough going - I think the first one is the only one I've  gotten all the way through in one sitting.

A Catholic friend explain to me what the big deal was about him eating that big hunk of meat. Now I know why our school cafeteria always served fish sandwiches on friday.

If you're an Andy Milligan fan there's no hope for you.
Andrew
Administrator

I know where my towel is.

« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2012, 09:19:55 AM »

I got the Coffin Joe box set that came in a little coffin a few years ago. I have to admit I find his movies rough going - I think the first one is the only one I've  gotten all the way through in one sitting.

I have that same set.  It's hell to store, because it will not sit nicely on a DVD storage shelf and doesn't like to stand on it's side either.  I have it laying down on top of a bookshelf, along with a few other awkward cases.

The films are weird and surreal.  I didn't find them to be as hard to get through as you did, but I spent a lot of my attention trying to figure out what was going on or why it was important.  I also spent a lot of time trying hard to believe the special effects, even though they did have a relatively good retro horror feel to them - like the old Hollywood stuff when they were experimenting to find out what works.

Andrew Borntreger
Badmovies.org
Raffine

« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2012, 09:46:47 AM »

I have that same set.  It's hell to store, because it will not sit nicely on a DVD storage shelf and doesn't like to stand on it's side either.  I have it laying down on top of a bookshelf, along with a few other awkward cases.

I wound up originally displaying the coffin box seperately and putting the actual films in with the rest of my DVDs. I think it also came with a little Coffin Joe comic book. Mine's probably still in the coffin box.

My favorite effect is the 'ghostly glow' at the end of the first movie that looks like glitter  stuck to the actual film with some Elmer's Glue.

It's interesting Marins gives Joe some morals, such as when he berates the father for being cruel to his son.

If you're an Andy Milligan fan there's no hope for you.
Jim H

« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2012, 04:20:51 PM »

I wound up originally displaying the coffin box seperately and putting the actual films in with the rest of my DVDs. I think it also came with a little Coffin Joe comic book. Mine's probably still in the coffin box.

My favorite effect is the 'ghostly glow' at the end of the first movie that looks like glitter  stuck to the actual film with some Elmer's Glue.

It's interesting Marins gives Joe some morals, such as when he berates the father for being cruel to his son.

Heh, if you watch the extras, you'd find that yes, that is indeed glitter glued to the film itself. 

As far as Joe the character...  Yeah, I find him compelling, and agree it's hard to tell where Marins is going with him.  But I've only seen the first film. 

The Burgomaster
Aggravating People Worldwide Since 1964

« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2012, 10:36:57 AM »

I had a similar challenge with the Blind Dead coffin box . . .

"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone."
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Coffin Joe « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.