Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 11:49:14 AM
714402 Posts in 53097 Topics by 7742 Members
Latest Member: KathleneKa
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  A little thing like Cicada's going away. May not be a little thing. « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: A little thing like Cicada's going away. May not be a little thing.  (Read 2962 times)
Living_Dead_Girl
Bad Movie Lover

Excuse me. You need to go back to grad school.

« on: February 23, 2012, 07:23:35 AM »

This is a thought that has been nagging at me for ages. And making me a tad unsettled... It has been summer in my part off the world. And I randomly remembered a childhood memory...

In the summer me and all the other kids, at dust, would all use to go looking for Cicada Beetles. By following their singing. Never could find the tricky little buggers. But most kids had their left over shells in a shoe box. (Their shells are brown, they come out a grassy green colour... making it hard to find them in the grass.)

It is now summer, and I have realized that for years. They have been gone. It just hit me. They are gone.

Question Question Question

I don't know when this happened. But they are not the only things dissapearing, I remember frogs and tadpoles use to be in every pond. I even had pet Silk Worms, and fed them mulberry tree leaves...

They are liturally little things. But it is strange They just dissapear in not even a lifetime. Maybe they just moved locations. But then it makes me think. Why? I think too much.  Question ... way to much.

Then I did not just look into the mirror, I looked through the mirror...
dean
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2012, 07:27:09 AM »

Yeah I've noticed that too. Kinda strange right? With a week to go for summer you'd think you'd get at least a few cicadas at some point. We used to see dead 'shells' everywhere but now nothing...

------------The password will be: Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch
indianasmith
Archeologist, Theologian, Elder Scrolls Addict, and a
B-Movie Kraken

A good bad movie is like popcorn for the soul!

« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2012, 07:54:26 AM »

Still plenty of them down here in NE Texas.  That is odd.

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
Derf
Crazy Rabbity Thingy
Proofreader

Lagomorphs: menace or underutilized resource?

« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2012, 08:24:11 AM »

And yet they are increasingly rare in South Texas. I had noticed their disappearance a few years ago. I still hear them occasionally, but they were everywhere when I was a kid, flying away as you walked under a tree and peeing on you as they flew off.

"They tap dance not, neither do they fart." --Greensleeves, on the Fig Men of the Imagination, in "Twice Upon a Time."
akiratubo

« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2012, 08:29:55 AM »

There have been no cicadas, no honey bees, no moths, no butterflies, no wasps, and hardly and spiders here for a couple of years.  We had plenty of mayflies but not in as great a quantity as we used to.  I don't ever hear frogs singing anymore, either.

Kneel before Dr. Hell, the ruler of this world!
tracy
Inventor of the Turnip Twaddler and

« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2012, 01:28:45 PM »

We still have them here in Central Texas....I love to listen to them singing at night.

Yes,I'm fine....as long as I don't look too closely.
alandhopewell
A NorthCoaster In Texas

Hey....white women were in season.

« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2012, 02:00:42 PM »

When I was a child in Lorain, Ohio, one of my favorite things was catching praying mantises-they were just cool.

They used to be everywhere, but I noticed by the eighties that they were getting scarce.

If it's true what they say, that GOD created us in His image, then why should we not love creating, and why should we not continue to do so, as carefully and ethically as we can, on whatever scale we're capable of?

The choice is simple; refuse to create, and refuse to grow, or build, with care and love.
El Misfit
[Insert witty here]
B-Movie Kraken

Hi there!

« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2012, 06:56:50 PM »

I found a cicada under a brick in the sidewalk in front of my house and looked it up- it was a periodical cicada, meaning they bloom every 17 FRIGGEN YEARS!!! Just give it time and they might comeback.

yeah no.
Living_Dead_Girl
Bad Movie Lover

Excuse me. You need to go back to grad school.

« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2012, 04:35:49 AM »

I want them back. It is a little thing... But I never realized I was going to miss it soo much one day =/ I really gotta remember to appreiciate the little moments >_<

Then I did not just look into the mirror, I looked through the mirror...
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

"Charlie,we're in HELL!"-"yeah,ain't it groovy?!"

« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2012, 05:21:45 AM »

Plenty of cicadas here in southwest Michigan. Shells are always stuck all over the place come summertime. And,yes,they're loud little buggers.

They feed on sap-is there a great loss of tress in your area?

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)
Interviewer-"Does Dracula ever end for you?
Lugosi-"No. Dracula-never ends."

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
https://www.tumblr.com/ronmerchant
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  A little thing like Cicada's going away. May not be a little thing. « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.