Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 19, 2024, 01:43:06 AM
712922 Posts in 53040 Topics by 7722 Members
Latest Member: GenevaBarr
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  THE SIX STOOGES « previous next »
Poll
Question: What's your favorite Stooge configuration?
Larry, Curly, and Moe - 10 (83.3%)
Larry, Shemp, and Moe - 2 (16.7%)
Moe, Larry, and Joe Besser - 0 (0%)
Moe, Larry, and Curly Joe - 0 (0%)
Total Voters: 11

Pages: [1]
Author Topic: THE SIX STOOGES  (Read 5725 times)
alandhopewell
A NorthCoaster In Texas
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Hey....white women were in season.

« on: March 10, 2012, 01:27:05 PM »

Option One for me....and no pie, TYVM.

If it's true what they say, that GOD created us in His image, then why should we not love creating, and why should we not continue to do so, as carefully and ethically as we can, on whatever scale we're capable of?

The choice is simple; refuse to create, and refuse to grow, or build, with care and love.
Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

Either he's dead or my watch has stopped!

« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2012, 01:30:04 PM »

If you want to view paradise . . . simply look around and view it!
tracy
Inventor of the Turnip Twaddler and

« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2012, 01:31:08 PM »

These are "the" Stooges for me...

Yes,I'm fine....as long as I don't look too closely.
Flick James

Honorary Bastard of Arts

« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2012, 01:36:54 PM »

We all know what troupe will get the overwhelming votes, and I voted right in there with them.

However, I enjoyed all of the stooges except Joe Besser.

I don't always talk about bad movies, but when I do, I prefer badmovies.org
tracy

« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2012, 01:51:13 PM »

We all know what troupe will get the overwhelming votes, and I voted right in there with them.

Like I posted already,Joe Besser was like fingernails on a black board.

Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2012, 02:22:03 PM »

They show THE THREE STOOGES shorts Saturday mornings in mini-marathons on IFC.  I do not consider myself any kind of fan, but who doesn't laugh at these dumb movies which usually have 1 or 2 sublime moments?  And once in a while, they are jaw-droppingly brilliant.  I think SHEMP was an original and was replaced by his younger brother CURLY?  And of course came back to replace CURLY when he became ill...?  I think JOE BESSER's family ( Lookingup) own the rights or part of them and the films still generate revenue... somebody here should be able to set me straight.  

Flick James

Honorary Bastard of Arts

« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2012, 02:28:00 PM »

They show THE THREE STOOGES shorts Saturday mornings in mini-marathons on IFC.  I do not consider myself any kind of fan, but who doesn't laugh at these dumb movies which usually have 1 or 2 sublime moments?  And once in a while, they are jaw-droppingly brilliant.  I think SHEMP was an original and was replaced by his younger brother CURLY?  And of course came back to replace CURLY when he became ill...?  I think JOE BESSER's family ( Lookingup) own the rights or part of them and the films still generate revenue... somebody here should be able to set me straight.  

You are right about the Shemp factoid, I have no idea about the other.

Yeah, I'm kinda with you in that I wouldnt' call myself a "Three Stooges fan," per se. They're kind of like the entire run of Saturday Night Live. Some moments of sheer brilliance here and there, quite a few amusing if not brilliant moments, and periods that were just awful. But bless 'em, those stooges are an institutution whether you like 'em or not.

I don't always talk about bad movies, but when I do, I prefer badmovies.org
Raffine

« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2012, 03:17:18 PM »

Believe it or not, there was yet another incarnation of The Three Stooges: Moe, Curly Joe . . . and Emil.

After Larry Fine's stroke in 1970 Moe recruited long-time Stooge costar Emil Sitka ("Hold hands, you lovebirds!") to become the 'second stooge'. They made several publicity appearances and did a couple of photo shoots, but Moe's own increasingly poor health prevented them from filming any 'New Three Stooges' projects.

Another 'Almost Stooge' was African American comedian Mantan Moreland.

Reportedly Moe and Larry really wanted Moreland to join the act after Shemp's death and lobbied Columbia Pictures hard for him, but in the end the studio feared some audiences (i.e. The South) would be offended by a black Stooge on equal footing as the two white Stooges.

Too bad. Moreland was a terrific comedian and would have been a far better fit than whiny Joe Besser.

« Last Edit: March 10, 2012, 03:25:07 PM by Raffine » Logged

If you're an Andy Milligan fan there's no hope for you.
HappyGilmore
B-Movie Kraken

I know Quack-Fu.

« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2012, 09:43:34 PM »

I voted for the Shemp pairing, although I like Curly just as much.

We also have this coming up:
Small | Large

Will Sasso as Curly, Sean Hayes as Larry and some other guy playing Moe. Lookingup

Small | Large

"The path to Heaven runs through miles of clouded Hell."

Don’t get too close, it’s dark inside.
It’s where my demons hide, it’s where my demons hide.
Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2012, 09:44:39 PM »

Believe it or not, there was yet another incarnation of The Three Stooges: Moe, Curly Joe . . . and Emil.

After Larry Fine's stroke in 1970 Moe recruited long-time Stooge costar Emil Sitka ("Hold hands, you lovebirds!") to become the 'second stooge'. They made several publicity appearances and did a couple of photo shoots, but Moe's own increasingly poor health prevented them from filming any 'New Three Stooges' projects.

Reportedly Moe and Larry really wanted Moreland to join the act after Shemp's death and lobbied Columbia Pictures hard for him, but in the end the studio feared some audiences (i.e. The South) would be offended by a black Stooge on equal footing as the two white Stooges.
Too bad. Moreland was a terrific comedian and would have been a far better fit than whiny Joe Besser.

MANTAN MORELAND would have added an unexpected dimension of talent, and would have also been a perfect fit...hah, what might have been.   Bluesad

JaseSF
Super Space Age Freaky Geek
B-Movie Kraken

Soon, your brain will turn to jelly.

« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2012, 04:44:45 PM »

I voted for Shemp too even though I also like Curly a lot too.

"This above all: To thine own self be true!"
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

"Charlie,we're in HELL!"-"yeah,ain't it groovy?!"

« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2012, 06:09:08 AM »

I went with Curly...but it was very close-because I love Shemp too!

Trivia time!
Curly did a cameo with the Shemp era Stooges in the short HOLD THAT LION. (With a full head of hair,too!)

More trivia-
You may be familiar with the 1960's era comic book with Joe DeRita-but in the early 50's there was a Stooges comic...with Shemp! Drawn b Joe (SGT.ROCK) Kubert!

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)
Interviewer-"Does Dracula ever end for you?
Lugosi-"No. Dracula-never ends."

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
https://www.tumblr.com/ronmerchant
Frank81
« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2012, 11:54:39 AM »

I went with Curly...but it was very close-because I love Shemp too!

Trivia time!
Curly did a cameo with the Shemp era Stooges in the short HOLD THAT LION. (With a full head of hair,too!)

More trivia-
You may be familiar with the 1960's era comic book with Joe DeRita-but in the early 50's there was a Stooges comic...with Shemp! Drawn b Joe (SGT.ROCK) Kubert!

I'm more of a Steve Ditko fan, but, Kubert rocks. Smile  I love all the stooges.
tracy

« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2012, 01:42:06 PM »

I really liked Moreland and he would have been great. I'd never heard that bit of trivia...thanks!

Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  THE SIX STOOGES « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.