Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 01:53:09 AM
714503 Posts in 53097 Topics by 7744 Members
Latest Member: MichelFran
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Death Ship (1980) « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Death Ship (1980)  (Read 3705 times)
Neville
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« on: June 21, 2009, 10:07:13 AM »

Plot: The survivors of a line cruiser board an abandoned ship in the middle of the ocean. Soon its aparent that they're not welcome. The engines and other machinery have a life on their own, and they start plotting the murder of the passengers. While the captain of the cruiser seems to surrend his will to the ship, the rest of the people try to find out what is going on.

Comments: I was wondering if I should post this on the "good movies" board. It certainly is a B-movie, but it is an above average one. Basically, that's because it does right what many movies of its type forget to do, which is to build an atmosphere and to try hard to stablish that the ship is a living, malevolent organism.

That these two things are achieved with a low budget is a testament to the profesionality of director Alvin Rakoff. Unfortunately, the film saves the gory details for the last act, but meanwhile we do get a lot of footage of the engine room, where elements whose function we don't exactly know suddenly come to life. And many interior shots of the ship are accompanied by distorted -and not subtitled- outbursts of German. Add a little creative camerawork to the mix -at some point the camera pans through the whole ship... from upside down- and that's it.

Well, that's not it. You see, the camerawork is very inventive, but it can't disguise how cheesy the deaths are, or how long it takes for us to get the answers. At one point, a hook grabs a sailor by its leg, lowers him to sea level, dunks him into the water and, not happy with that, rises him to the top of the ship and lets him go. Later on, a yummy female victim is subjected to a long blood shower only to be thrown overboard minutes later. Either the spirits who govern the ship can't decide how to deal with the victims or they are prone to overkill.

Oh, and yeah, the cast is interesting. There's a pre-Rambo Richard Crenna, and George Kennedy is here too, as the captain who goes bananas. He does the best acting of the movie, which is not saying much.

Due to the horrifying nature of this film, no one will be admitted to the theatre.
BUREINPARESU
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2009, 03:25:27 AM »

This one actually creeped me a bit when I was younger, I've wanted to see it since then.
Monster Jungle X-Ray
Bad Movie Lover

Just Another Pretty Face

« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2009, 05:16:43 AM »

This is one that I haven't seen since the late '80s, but what I remember of it was a pretty effective ghost thriller. Wasn't this remade kind of recently?

" Society doesn't accept us because of what we are, so we're an enemy of society. " - Pa Mooney, THE RATS ARE COMING! THE WEREWOLVES ARE HERE!
Neville

« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2009, 05:24:19 AM »

No, but more recent horror films, such as "Virus" or "Ghost Ship" have things in common.

Due to the horrifying nature of this film, no one will be admitted to the theatre.
Jack
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2009, 06:31:55 AM »

That sounds pretty interesting, I'll try to check it out sometime.  I've seen "Ghost Ship", the first 5 minutes were awesome, but after that it immediately descended into eye-rolling clichés and predictability.  Virus is a favorite of mine though.

The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion.

- Paulo Coelho
Monster Jungle X-Ray
Bad Movie Lover

Just Another Pretty Face

« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2009, 08:33:29 PM »

No, but more recent horror films, such as "Virus" or "Ghost Ship" have things in common.
Ahh yes, Ghost Ship was what I was thinking of there.

" Society doesn't accept us because of what we are, so we're an enemy of society. " - Pa Mooney, THE RATS ARE COMING! THE WEREWOLVES ARE HERE!
voltron

« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2009, 09:34:56 PM »

I love this movie. George Kennedy is da man!  Thumbup

"Nothin' out there but God's little creatures - more scared of you than you are of them"  - Warren, "Just Before Dawn"
horrorfanatic
New Visitor

« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2009, 09:36:22 PM »

Not a bad movie I rented this years ago on VHS before DVDs came about.It was an interesting creepy horror suspense thriller.The movie had a lot of WTF moments also .
schmendrik
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2009, 01:03:26 PM »

Not a bad movie I rented this years ago on VHS before DVDs came about.It was an interesting creepy horror suspense thriller.The movie had a lot of WTF moments also .

I think I caught this one while channel-surfing one night, and it caught my attention enough to watch it to the end.
Zebra 3
Dedicated Viewer

« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2010, 03:16:34 PM »

Not even George Kennedy can save this disappointing movie.

'Huuutch!' - Starsky
FatFreddysCat
Movies, Metal, Beer!

« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2012, 10:52:15 AM »

I saw this one last night for the first time in over 25 years. I remember "Death Ship" turned up pretty frequently on cable in the early 80s and I had been pretty creeped out by it as a 12 year old. Watching it last night, I wondered why, cuz it's slow moving and horribly acted. The similarly themed "Ghost Ship" (2002) was no great shakes, but it was light-years ahead of this. (To be fair, the budget on "Death Ship" probably wouldn't even cover the cost of the on-set catering for "Ghost Ship," but still...)

Am I a bad person for wishing that something awful would happen to that annoying little kid who kept stopping to pee every five minutes?  BounceGiggle

I was also surprised to see a very young Saul Rubinek, who I know better as "Artie" from SyFy Channel's "Warehouse 13," in this... he was the cruise-ship comedian who got tossed into the ocean by the Death Ship's swinging hook early on in the film.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2012, 10:57:32 AM by FatFreddysCat » Logged

Hey, HEY, kids! Check out my way-cool Music and Movie Review blog on HubPages!
http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Death Ship (1980) « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.