Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 19, 2024, 06:12:20 AM
712927 Posts in 53040 Topics by 7722 Members
Latest Member: GenevaBarr
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Press Releases and Film News  |  U.S. sees warmest March in recorded history « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: U.S. sees warmest March in recorded history  (Read 15116 times)
claws
« on: April 09, 2012, 01:17:13 PM »

(CNN) -- March 2012 will go down as the warmest March in the United States since record-keeping began in 1895, NOAA said Monday.

In addition, the three-month period of January, February and March was the warmest first quarter ever recorded in the Lower 48 states. The average was 42 degrees Fahrenheit, a whopping 6 degrees above the long-term average.

A staggering 15,292 warm temperature records were broken, (7,755 record highs and 7,517 record high overnight lows), according to Chris Vaccaro, spokesperson for NOAA. "That's tremendously excessive. The scope and the scale of warmth was really unprecedented, Vaccaro said.

A persistent weather pattern during the month of March led to 25 states east of the Rockies having their warmest March on record, NOAA said. That same pattern was responsible for cooler-than-average conditions in the West Coast states of Washington, Oregon and California, they said.

Full story at cnn.com

Bluesad
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

"Charlie,we're in HELL!"-"yeah,ain't it groovy?!"

« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2012, 04:18:43 AM »

It got up to 81 degrees here in SW Michigan one day....which is 40 degrees higher than normal!
Of course it's only 29 dgrees this morning-and all that warm weather made the fruit trees blossum-and frost killed a lot of the would be fruit-which means that the farmers are screwed-which means I'm screwed,because I work in a canning factory-and cherries are our cash crop.  Bluesad

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)
Interviewer-"Does Dracula ever end for you?
Lugosi-"No. Dracula-never ends."

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
https://www.tumblr.com/ronmerchant
indianasmith
Archeologist, Theologian, Elder Scrolls Addict, and a
B-Movie Kraken

A good bad movie is like popcorn for the soul!

« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2012, 06:25:59 AM »

Sounds like half the U.S. saw the warmest March on record, and the other half saw it cooler than average . . . which makes the headline a little misleading.

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
tracy
Inventor of the Turnip Twaddler and
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2012, 01:04:52 PM »

Temperatures...rainfall...storms...all these have fluctuated throughout history. It kinda gets me that this generation seems to think anything that happens has never happened before.

Yes,I'm fine....as long as I don't look too closely.
InformationGeek
Leader of the Friends' for Info
B-Movie Site Webmaster

Let's all be Friends.

« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2012, 04:30:12 PM »

Sounds like half the U.S. saw the warmest March on record, and the other half saw it cooler than average . . . which makes the headline a little misleading.

I think the weather is just having mood swings at this point before it settles on angry hot.

We live in quite an interesting age. You can tell someone's sexual orientation and level of education from just their interests.
indianasmith
Archeologist, Theologian, Elder Scrolls Addict, and a
B-Movie Kraken

A good bad movie is like popcorn for the soul!

« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2012, 04:37:45 PM »

Did you say the weather - or my wife?????? TeddyR

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
Flick James

Honorary Bastard of Arts

« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2012, 07:00:12 PM »

I don't get it. The article didn't say anything except that it was a record-breaking March, and people are up in arm like there was an explicit global-warming agenda. Did I miss something?

Anyway, it doesn't take a rocket scientist to know that the last four months have been unseasonably warm across the entire northern hemisphere. All you have to do is go to weather.com and do an unbiased random search. Choose ten northern hemisphere locations at random, choose ten dates over the last six months at random and you will see that the temps are well above average. I've done it for far more than 10 and it's pretty obvious, it's been unseasonably warm.

As for the cause, I haven't the foggiest.

I don't always talk about bad movies, but when I do, I prefer badmovies.org
Frank81
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2012, 02:03:04 PM »

I don't get it. The article didn't say anything except that it was a record-breaking March, and people are up in arm like there was an explicit global-warming agenda. Did I miss something?

Anyway, it doesn't take a rocket scientist to know that the last four months have been unseasonably warm across the entire northern hemisphere. All you have to do is go to weather.com and do an unbiased random search. Choose ten northern hemisphere locations at random, choose ten dates over the last six months at random and you will see that the temps are well above average. I've done it for far more than 10 and it's pretty obvious, it's been unseasonably warm.

As for the cause, I haven't the foggiest.

The press always  has an agenda. 'Recorded  History?'  WTF, The history of weather was  only recorded  since 1895, what about  all these  archeological  and fossil  records, which go back millions  of years and show proof of massive  temprature  changes over millenium?  This is  just more  hysterical , in the case left-wing, proganda, nothing more  or less.
ulthar

I AM serious, and stop calling me Shirley

« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2012, 03:43:27 PM »

I don't get it. The article didn't say anything except that it was a record-breaking March,

Every day is record breaking in some way.  They choose what they report.

The records don't mean a single thing given the paucity of "recorded data."  The whole thing is a straw man to even discuss "record breaking."

Tracy made the million dollar comment above.  The current generation(s) is alarmingly preoccupied with superlatives.  Everything has to be the warmest, the fastest, the coldest, the biggest, etc.  I find it alarming, anyway, and at the same time, a little amusing.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Professor Hathaway:  I noticed you stopped stuttering.
Bodie:      I've been giving myself shock treatments.
Professor Hathaway: Up the voltage.

--Real Genius
Flick James

Honorary Bastard of Arts

« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2012, 04:43:20 PM »

It just seems like their is a knee-jerk reaction going on. There was nothing even mentioned about global warming or climate change unless I missed something. All of a sudden accusations of liberal agendas are coming out of the woodwork. It all seems rather "conspiracy theory" to me, that's all.

ulthar

« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2012, 05:16:31 PM »

It just seems like their is a knee-jerk reaction going on. There was nothing even mentioned about global warming or climate change unless I missed something. All of a sudden accusations of liberal agendas are coming out of the woodwork. It all seems rather "conspiracy theory" to me, that's all.

Do they mention the records of "fastest cooling from 6:00 pm to 7:00" and "biggest wind gust with a dew point above 73 degrees"?

No.

Why not?

There is no significant "association" of that data in the minds of the readers.  A lot of the data they don't report may well be of more meteorologic significance than the data they do report.

They are milking the 'global warming' psychology whether they mention it or not.  They cherry pick which of this kind of news they report, and none of these records mean much of anything.  However, in the choosing, they are, intentionally or not, manipulating what is on the consciousness of the readers.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

--Real Genius
Flick James

Honorary Bastard of Arts

« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2012, 05:56:40 PM »

Do they mention the records of "fastest cooling from 6:00 pm to 7:00" and "biggest wind gust with a dew point above 73 degrees"?

No.

Why not?

There is no significant "association" of that data in the minds of the readers.  A lot of the data they don't report may well be of more meteorologic significance than the data they do report.

They are milking the 'global warming' psychology whether they mention it or not.  They cherry pick which of this kind of news they report, and none of these records mean much of anything.  However, in the choosing, they are, intentionally or not, manipulating what is on the consciousness of the readers.

Well, okay, I supposed that might be going on. All I'm saying is that it has been a verifiable record-breaking heat year. Are they not allowed to report the noteworthiness of that? I mean, it is a perfectly valid thing to report, is it not? I swear, everybody, and I mean EVERYBODY, is too damn sensitive about the news.

RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

"Charlie,we're in HELL!"-"yeah,ain't it groovy?!"

« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2012, 11:00:23 AM »

I find the whole "Global Warming" debate interesting.
No doubt-things are changing.
But politics wont change it.
Nothing will.
Watch it and check it out.
I find it fascinating.
I'm alive at a pivotal point in earth history.
I like it.
As far as it being a threat to the human race-so what.
Were not that great.

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)
Interviewer-"Does Dracula ever end for you?
Lugosi-"No. Dracula-never ends."

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
https://www.tumblr.com/ronmerchant
ulthar

« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2012, 04:12:08 PM »

Well, okay, I supposed that might be going on. All I'm saying is that it has been a verifiable record-breaking heat year. Are they not allowed to report the noteworthiness of that? I mean, it is a perfectly valid thing to report, is it not?

Well, not to me.  I think it's a waste of time.  What's the "news" with "it's hot outside."  Big flipping deal.

But hey, as long as they are talking about this and not mentioning one single word about Andrew Wordes, all's right with the world, eh?

--Real Genius
Flick James

Honorary Bastard of Arts

« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2012, 05:35:35 PM »

But hey, as long as they are talking about this and not mentioning one single word about Andrew Wordes, all's right with the world, eh?

I don't think I was suggesting that it should be front page news, but I guess I'll just have to respectfully disagree. I think a record heat wave that affected the majority of the Northern hemisphere is worthy of reporting, with or without an agenda. I guess I'm a flaming liberal now.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2012, 05:39:02 PM by Flick James » Logged

Pages: [1] 2 3
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Press Releases and Film News  |  U.S. sees warmest March in recorded history « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.