Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 19, 2024, 03:40:42 AM
712924 Posts in 53040 Topics by 7722 Members
Latest Member: GenevaBarr
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Press Releases and Film News  |  Reporter undergoes ‘unnecessary’ transvaginal ultrasound toframe abortion debate « previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7
Author Topic: Reporter undergoes ‘unnecessary’ transvaginal ultrasound toframe abortion debate  (Read 56658 times)
lester1/2jr
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #45 on: April 21, 2012, 08:30:08 AM »

If it reduces the number of abortions, I'm for it.

bombing abortion clinics on a regular basis would probably reduce the number of abortions.

giving everyone birth control after the age of 12 would also.

My wife was born to a 16 year old unwed mother in 1964.  Had she been conceived a decade later, I imagine there are very good odds that her life would have ended in a medical waste container before she ever got to draw her first breath.

she might also have never been conceived either do to birth control or having never met the father at wherever they met.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2012, 08:33:23 AM by lester1/2jr » Logged
El Misfit
[Insert witty here]
B-Movie Kraken

Hi there!

« Reply #46 on: April 21, 2012, 09:06:14 AM »

Here I present to you a song about abortion, and leaves the listener to decide what side he/she is on.
Small | Large

honestly, it's up to them, but there has to be strict rules to go with it, like say she was raped or the guy who had sex with her poked a hole in his condom without her knowing. see, that I can see, however, the child could go to the family relatives. This debate is so confusing, and asks the question on who's to blame. TongueOut personally, I think it's the guys fault.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2012, 09:12:25 AM by El Toro Loco » Logged

yeah no.
Chainsawmidget
« Reply #47 on: April 21, 2012, 11:02:04 AM »

Still, what's wrong with carrying the child to term, then putting him or her up for adoption?
Nine months of suffering, pain, self pity, hatred, doctors appointments, and medical bills? 

It is a choice whether or not to engage in sexual activity.  It is a choice whether or not to marry.  It is a choice whether or not to use contraception.
Sometimes the choice of whether to not engage in sexual activity is unfortunately taken out of a person's hands and contraceptives aren't 100% effective all the time. 

indianasmith
Archeologist, Theologian, Elder Scrolls Addict, and a
B-Movie Kraken

A good bad movie is like popcorn for the soul!

« Reply #48 on: April 21, 2012, 01:19:43 PM »

Good point.  However, those two choices could eliminate about 90% of all abortions if responsible exercised.

I just never understood the logic of; "I don't want this baby, so I will kill it."

Why is that a valid decision?

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
Menard
Bad Movie Lover

I Am Vitriol...When You Say My Name You Praise Me

« Reply #49 on: April 21, 2012, 01:28:45 PM »

I just never understood the logic of; "I don't want this baby, so I will kill it."

Why is that a valid decision?

And you've been faced with having to carry a pregnancy to term or not...how many times in you life, Indy?

indianasmith
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #50 on: April 21, 2012, 02:58:20 PM »

Before or after my surgery? TeddyR

I get it, Menard.
But there is still a tiny heart beating that is being snuffed out forever.
I understand the historical abuse and oppression of women; I believe in equal pay for
equal work, and full civil and social equality.

But snuffing out a child's life is just wrong.  I can never get past that.

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
Flick James
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Honorary Bastard of Arts

« Reply #51 on: April 21, 2012, 03:04:26 PM »

Indy and Menard,

The two of you have just demonstrated with stark clarity why this debate will likely never be resolved.

I don't always talk about bad movies, but when I do, I prefer badmovies.org
indianasmith
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #52 on: April 21, 2012, 03:46:42 PM »

True that.
But hey - at least we're TALKING! TeddyR

Flick James
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Honorary Bastard of Arts

« Reply #53 on: April 21, 2012, 03:51:11 PM »

True that.
But hey - at least we're TALKING! TeddyR

"Trut that?" Did you just say "true that" Indy? My, you are getting hip, aren't you?

BounceGiggle

Come on, kick some freestyle, Indy. I'll bust my beatbox skillz.

I don't always talk about bad movies, but when I do, I prefer badmovies.org
Menard
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #54 on: April 21, 2012, 03:53:39 PM »

Before or after my surgery? TeddyR

I get it, Menard.

I seriously doubt that, Indy.

My last reply was after several things I typed and deleted; trying to come up with a civil way to reply to a hugely insensitive comment.

"I don't want this baby, so I will kill it."

Do you honestly think a decision to have an abortion is that simple?

That is a decision as men that none of us will ever have to face, and no decision in life, categorically, will be any tougher than that. As men, we are pussies when it comes to having to face a hard decision in life compared to women, and yet we gather around the fire in our cave and talk tough and denigrate women as though they are something less than us. Yet, I've never met a man tougher than the women I know.

Love ya babe, but hey...that was an insensitive thing to say, and I hope you got some negative karma for that (I won't give negative karma myself as it seems hypocritical since I can't be given any).

indianasmith
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #55 on: April 21, 2012, 10:31:43 PM »

I think we unnecessarily complicate things sometimes. 
No, I'm not a woman.  Never have been, never will be.
But just because I was born horned instead of cloven doesn't mean I'm not allowed to have an opinion.
Reproductive issues are enormously complicated, but in the end, abortion boils down to the termination of
a human life.  You can attach all kinds of philosophical and gender relational and political and religious significance
to it, but at the end of the day, two beating hearts go into the abortion clinic and one comes out. 

Some people are OK with that, some are ambiguous about it, and some believe it is a wrong that can never be made right, no matter how much rhetoric you wrap it in.

That's where I fall.

I actually respect your position - but I can never agree with it.

AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #56 on: April 22, 2012, 08:30:11 AM »

The two of you have just demonstrated with stark clarity why this debate will likely never be resolved.

Very hard to settle any debate that won't stay focused. Interesting to watch this thread spontaneously turn into a debate about feminism, religion or politics, even in spite of some admirable efforts to discuss abortion.

Kind of disappointing, too. I'd love to get into the discussion this thread occasionally tries to be. A discussion about the relative value of human lives, the responsible use of a medical procedure, personal accountability, the pros and cons of various approaches, and how to fairly balance the needs of everyone concerned. A discussion that doesn't go off the rails every second post, where opinions can be expressed both respectfully and without hedging or overly qualifying everything. A discussion that actually progresses, rather than restate the same points over and over.

But that just ain't gonna happen.

---------------------
"Join me in the abyss of savings."
Menard
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #57 on: April 22, 2012, 11:56:24 AM »

Very hard to settle any debate that won't stay focused. Interesting to watch this thread spontaneously turn into a debate about feminism, religion or politics, even in spite of some admirable efforts to discuss abortion.

And how do you propose to have a discussion about mandating a procedure for women without discussing women's rights? Or being that the right to life side validates their arguments against abortion based on their interpretation of their religious texts, then how do you have the discussion without religion? And being that we are talking about proposed legislation, how do you have the discussion without talking about politics?

And if I remember correctly, weren't you one involved in a discussion in this thread about how moderate you are....and precisely what does that have to do with the discussion at hand?

I'll just quote from a book of some of your all's religion: (John 8:7 [RSV])
Let him who is without sin among you be the first to throw a stone...

Just sayin'  TongueOut

AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #58 on: April 22, 2012, 12:26:42 PM »

And how do you propose to have a discussion about mandating a procedure for women without discussing women's rights? Or being that the right to life side validates their arguments against abortion based on their interpretation of their religious texts, then how do you have the discussion without religion? And being that we are talking about proposed legislation, how do you have the discussion without talking about politics?

Exactly why this is a futile discussion. People are trying to argue about three or more issues at once, with each person seeing something different as the central issue. Each is saying something that, for him, is the most important thing to consider, in an effort to convince people who think something else is more significant. It's apples and oranges. To me, the only possible way to have any kind of meaningful dialogue is to accept that other people are seeing the issue differently, and that does not necessarily make them wrong. We know all the feminist, religious and political arguments, and they need no repeating. Is it possible to strip all of that away, and see if there isn't some common ground on which to talk? Or even just discuss it from one point of view at a time?

And I never said I was moderate. I said I go both ways (at least politically). To me, a completely moderate position can be as bad or worse than an extreme one.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2012, 12:28:52 PM by AndyC » Logged

---------------------
"Join me in the abyss of savings."
Menard
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #59 on: April 22, 2012, 12:40:19 PM »

Is it possible to strip all of that away, and see if there isn't some common ground on which to talk? Or even just discuss it from one point of view at a time?

There would be no discussion if there were no sides, no issues. If there is common ground, then there is no issue. Literally, where is the common ground in a yes or no, for or against debate?

I said I go both ways

Wink

And I never said I was moderate. I said I go both ways (at least politically). To me, a completely moderate position can be as bad or worse than an extreme one.

Talk about apples and oranges. So, you're not a moderate, you just go both way politically? Lookingup

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Press Releases and Film News  |  Reporter undergoes ‘unnecessary’ transvaginal ultrasound toframe abortion debate « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.