Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 18, 2024, 10:11:39 PM
712916 Posts in 53040 Topics by 7722 Members
Latest Member: GenevaBarr
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Annual gardening thread « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7
Author Topic: Annual gardening thread  (Read 42526 times)
Jack
B-Movie Kraken

« on: May 01, 2012, 06:08:11 PM »

So what's everybody growing this year?  We've had a very cool April here with temps getting close to freezing quite often at night, so I haven't planted any vegetables yet.  Now that it's May though, I suppose the time has come to get working on it.

So far I've just planted a few bushes and flower...thingies

And this other thingie:

I picked those red and yellow things out myself   TeddyR

So what have all you other gardeners got going on?

The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion.

- Paulo Coelho
Flick James
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Honorary Bastard of Arts

« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2012, 07:28:15 PM »

Already hot in Phoenix.

I have a spot between the house and a block wall that only gets about 3 hours of direct sunlight a day where I've planted and herb garden: basil, oregano, cilatro, Italian parsely, and mint.

I've also planted a rose bush, two tomato plants, and a zucchini squash plant. Next year I intend to do much more. I just recently got some area in the backyard freed up for planting and got kind of a late start. Next year I plan to add peppers, yellow squash, green onions, and strawberries into the mix.

I don't always talk about bad movies, but when I do, I prefer badmovies.org
lester1/2jr
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2012, 07:37:16 PM »

I went to a fair last year and they had one of those huge ass pumpkins, like 1000 something pounds. they had seeds from it for sale so I bought one or two and gave them to my Mother. wonder how they'll do
Andrew
Administrator

I know where my towel is.

« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2012, 07:23:10 AM »

I built raised beds last year and we put in a small fall/winter garden of beets, carrots, spinach, and bibb lettuce that just finished.  Only the lettuce is left and I'm pulling the last of it today.  We are going to be giving some of that away, because there's still way more than we can eat.  Chicken club sandwiches for dinner tonight!

We planted beets, carrots, spinach, lettuce, and onions a few weeks ago.  Last Sunday we planted the beans, cucumbers, peppers, and half of the tomato plants.  Normally I'd consider this a little early for the tomatoes and peppers, but it's been so warm that I'm going to count on the danger of frost being low (and we'll cover them if needed).  Plan on planting the squash, zucchini, and rest of the tomatoes this week.

On Sunday I also built a raised bed back near the kid's playset for them (they asked for one of their own).  Jenna already wants sunflowers, while the boys are planning on watermelon and cantaloupe.  There will probably be an eclectic mix of other things as well, because they have also said they wanted beans, carrots, and cucumbers.  Luckily I had some idea of what they wanted to do, so it's a pretty big raised bed.

Also extended the raised bed for Garrett's strawberry patch to double its size.  Just going to let the strawberries grow into it on their own.  It'll be overflowing by the end of the summer.

In between each pair of long vegetable beds I built a pair of square flower and herb beds for Katie.  Quite a few of the early flowers are in bloom, like the Gladiator Alliums.  There are gladiolus, butterfly weed, cilantro, bee balm, and a number of others in various states of growing.  Looks like it will be a very colorful flower garden, plus lots of flowers to attract those bees!

Andrew Borntreger
Badmovies.org
Mr. DS
Master Of Cinematic Bowel Movements
B-Movie Kraken

Get this thread cleaned up or YOU'RE FIRED!!!

« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2012, 07:40:33 AM »

Oddly I haven't even begun planning yet.  I've been cleaning up the yard at the new house mainly.  Its been brush central and luckily I've been putting the fire pit to good use when it comes to disposing of it.

I may keep it simple this year.  Tomatoes definitely and I'll decide at the garden shop come time on the other stuff. 

DarkSider's Realm
http://darksidersrealm.blogspot.com/

"You think the honey badger cares?  It doesn't give a sh*t."  Randall
Andrew
Administrator

I know where my towel is.

« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2012, 08:00:00 AM »

Oddly I haven't even begun planning yet.  I've been cleaning up the yard at the new house mainly.  Its been brush central and luckily I've been putting the fire pit to good use when it comes to disposing of it.

I may keep it simple this year.  Tomatoes definitely and I'll decide at the garden shop come time on the other stuff.  

Who are you and what have you done with Mark?

EDIT TO ADD:  putting the "d" in "and"
« Last Edit: May 04, 2012, 08:37:15 AM by Andrew » Logged

Andrew Borntreger
Badmovies.org
Trevor
Uncle Zombie and Eminent Shitologist
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2012, 08:35:21 AM »

Oddly I haven't even begun planning yet.  I've been cleaning up the yard at the new house mainly.  Its been brush central and luckily I've been putting the fire pit to good use when it comes to disposing of it.

I may keep it simple this year.  Tomatoes definitely and I'll decide at the garden shop come time on the other stuff. 

Who are you an what have you done with Mark?

TeddyR TeddyR TeddyR

I know I can make it on my own if I try, but I'm searching for the Great Heart
To stand me by, underneath the African sky
A Great Heart to stand me by.
Mr. DS
Master Of Cinematic Bowel Movements
B-Movie Kraken

Get this thread cleaned up or YOU'RE FIRED!!!

« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2012, 10:58:52 AM »

Oddly I haven't even begun planning yet.  I've been cleaning up the yard at the new house mainly.  Its been brush central and luckily I've been putting the fire pit to good use when it comes to disposing of it.

I may keep it simple this year.  Tomatoes definitely and I'll decide at the garden shop come time on the other stuff.  

EDIT TO ADD:  putting the "d" in "and"
There is no Mark, only Zhoul.   TeddyR

DarkSider's Realm
http://darksidersrealm.blogspot.com/

"You think the honey badger cares?  It doesn't give a sh*t."  Randall
ChaosTheory

« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2012, 12:16:49 PM »

So far I've got spinach and lettuce sprouting (we had an unseasonably warm March & April so I started them early outside), tomatoes, a couple bell pepper plants and a raspberry bush.
I also just planted flower seeds/bulbs - sunflowers, daisies, moss roses and dahlias - and have moved my herbs outside - rosemary, mint, chamomile, wild sage, yarrow and lavender.

Through the darkness of future past
The magician longs to see
One chance opts between two worlds
Fire walk with me
Mofo Rising
Global Moderator

My cat can eat a whole watermelon!

« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2012, 03:32:31 AM »

My brother has some jalapeno plants in the backyard, but they keep get eaten up by something or other.

So for those in Phoenix, how to keep them alive? I'll freely admit I know nothing about plants, but I would love some fresh jalapenos. What are we doing wrong?

Every dead body that is not exterminated becomes one of them. It gets up and kills. The people it kills, get up and kill.
Newt
Mostly Harmless. Mostly.

I want to be Ripley when I grow up.

« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2012, 07:01:11 AM »

My brother has some jalapeno plants in the backyard, but they keep get eaten up by something or other.

So for those in Phoenix, how to keep them alive? I'll freely admit I know nothing about plants, but I would love some fresh jalapenos. What are we doing wrong?

I'm not in Phoenix, but: are these young, tender plants, newly set out?  Do the tops disappear, leaving just a bit of green stem sticking up?  Our peppers were eaten like this and it was birds nipping them off.  In that case a bit of temporary netting will protect the plants until they are more mature.

Not sure if your environment has slugs and snails as they generally like moister areas, but they will eat tender young plants as well.  One of the most effective ways to deal with them is to put out a saucer of beer overnight.  The little pests climb in and drown.

If you suspect bugs - leaves and peppers are eaten and/or have holes in - there are other bugs that do that.  Beetles and white flies.  Beetles one generally hand-picks off.  For most other pests spraying with an insecticide soap works well.  Or you could try planting a row of marigolds: they seem to draw off insect pests.

From your description, I'm betting on birds.

"May I offer you a Peek Frean?" - Walter Bishop
"Thank you for appreciating my descent into deviant behavior, Mr. Reese." - Harold Finch
Newt
Mostly Harmless. Mostly.

I want to be Ripley when I grow up.

« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2012, 07:05:10 AM »

I went to a fair last year and they had one of those huge ass pumpkins, like 1000 something pounds. they had seeds from it for sale so I bought one or two and gave them to my Mother. wonder how they'll do

The growers who get the half-ton pumpkins actually feed them milk - sort of intravenously.   TongueOut  They make slits in the stems and insert a wick that sits in a container of milk.  They swear by it.  If I did that, I'd be calling my pumpkin vine 'Audrey', I think!

"May I offer you a Peek Frean?" - Walter Bishop
"Thank you for appreciating my descent into deviant behavior, Mr. Reese." - Harold Finch
Jack
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2012, 08:03:24 AM »

I still haven't gotten any vegetables planted - it's been raining just about every day.  I don't want to dig in a bunch of mud  Bluesad

The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion.

- Paulo Coelho
Mofo Rising
Global Moderator

My cat can eat a whole watermelon!

« Reply #13 on: May 06, 2012, 01:27:33 PM »

I'm not in Phoenix, but: are these young, tender plants, newly set out?  Do the tops disappear, leaving just a bit of green stem sticking up?  Our peppers were eaten like this and it was birds nipping them off.  In that case a bit of temporary netting will protect the plants until they are more mature.

Not sure if your environment has slugs and snails as they generally like moister areas, but they will eat tender young plants as well.  One of the most effective ways to deal with them is to put out a saucer of beer overnight.  The little pests climb in and drown.

If you suspect bugs - leaves and peppers are eaten and/or have holes in - there are other bugs that do that.  Beetles and white flies.  Beetles one generally hand-picks off.  For most other pests spraying with an insecticide soap works well.  Or you could try planting a row of marigolds: they seem to draw off insect pests.

From your description, I'm betting on birds.

Thanks for the info! It just seems to be the leaves disappearing, so we'll probably try the insecticide.

Every dead body that is not exterminated becomes one of them. It gets up and kills. The people it kills, get up and kill.
Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

Either he's dead or my watch has stopped!

« Reply #14 on: May 06, 2012, 10:58:15 PM »

EDIT TO ADD:  putting the "d" in "and"
uch...  Bluesad  It's all my fault, I'm such an a***ole.   BounceGiggle  It's true.  But, aren't we all? Eh.  I'm the spelling witch!   BounceGiggle  I only use it for revenge...  BounceGiggle
Okay, I like to be a pain in the ass too... (figuratively, Menard, figuratively...)  BounceGiggle  I'm a such a jerk.  Drink Twirling BounceGiggle

If you want to view paradise . . . simply look around and view it!
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Annual gardening thread « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.