Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 18, 2024, 09:31:22 PM
712916 Posts in 53040 Topics by 7722 Members
Latest Member: GenevaBarr
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Weird News Stories  |  Texas woman arrested for warning drivers of a speed trap. « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Texas woman arrested for warning drivers of a speed trap.  (Read 11699 times)
tracy
Inventor of the Turnip Twaddler and
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #15 on: July 03, 2012, 12:36:12 PM »

You know, I always thought the idea behind a speed limit was to get folks to slow down and be safer on the road, not to be a fund raiser for the town coffers.

Texas towns like their little speed traps. Great source of ready fines.  Lookingup

Yes,I'm fine....as long as I don't look too closely.
ghouck

Afro-Mullets RULE!

« Reply #16 on: July 07, 2012, 03:08:28 AM »

Come on, you don't just mess with police operations for no reason then get mad when they come after you.  She over stepped her bounds here and they got her for it.  What she did was stupid and she's lucky she got off as easily as she did.

Seriously? There are several things wrong with this way of thinking, as others have pointed out. I'm no rebel, but I really can't stand the "Don't question the man" mentality. We the people are THEIR bosses, not vive-versa.

Raw bacon is GREAT! It's like regular bacon, only faster, and it doesn't burn the roof of your mouth!

Happiness is green text in the "Stuff To Watch For" section.

James James: The man so nice, they named him twice.

"Aw man, this thong is chafing my balls" -Lloyd Kaufman in Poultrygeist.

"There's always time for lubricant" -Orlando Jones in Evolution
Raffine

« Reply #17 on: July 07, 2012, 09:01:31 AM »

You know, I always thought the idea behind a speed limit was to get folks to slow down and be safer on the road, not to be a fund raiser for the town coffers.

Texas towns like their little speed traps. Great source of ready fines.  Lookingup

Whenever someone mentions they were recently in Mississippi I ask them if they got a speeding ticket.

The answer is almost always "Yes".

If you're an Andy Milligan fan there's no hope for you.
tracy
Inventor of the Turnip Twaddler and

« Reply #18 on: July 07, 2012, 11:57:08 AM »

Whenever someone mentions they were recently in Mississippi I ask them if they got a speeding ticket.

The answer is almost always "Yes".
Speeding in the South is not a good idea,looks like. TeddyR

Yes,I'm fine....as long as I don't look too closely.
alandhopewell
A NorthCoaster In Texas

Hey....white women were in season.

« Reply #19 on: July 09, 2012, 01:43:23 PM »

Exactly; this sounds kinda like this situation....

http://www.highbeam.com/doc/1G1-67750697.html

If it's true what they say, that GOD created us in His image, then why should we not love creating, and why should we not continue to do so, as carefully and ethically as we can, on whatever scale we're capable of?

The choice is simple; refuse to create, and refuse to grow, or build, with care and love.
AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #20 on: July 09, 2012, 10:03:21 PM »

What also gets me is the shortsightedness of some cops. Aside from the negative publicity that tends to follow when police overreact to some little thing, there is the question of just what good it does in a case such as this. There's a woman who clearly doesn't respect what the police are doing. Maybe she thinks they're hassling ordinary folks who mostly don't deserve it. Maybe she thinks it's a big cash grab, or that the idea of a speed trap us underhanded. Whatever it is, she's decided to strike this small blow. Or in the case of the grandma feeding parking meters, she naively thought the important thing was that the parking time got paid for, when the cop really wanted to write tickets and fine people.

And what do the cops do? Act in a way that reinforces all of the negative assumptions. Maybe it will deter her from doing it again, and maybe it will just make her less respectful of the police. Respect and fear are, of course, not the same thing. I think it's because people already fear police that they jump at opportunities to stick it to the man in some small way. Maybe people will look at what happened, as we are doing, and draw their own conclusions about the way the cops responded. Maybe others will imitate the behavior in solidarity.

The point is, the police need the respect and trust and help of the public. That's what community policing is about. If somebody is interfering with your ticket writing, there is surely a way to handle the situation that won't perpetuate the attitude that is causing her to do it in the first place.

---------------------
"Join me in the abyss of savings."
Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

Either he's dead or my watch has stopped!

« Reply #21 on: July 15, 2012, 12:40:05 PM »

I was wondering if such in Texas were as it is here in New Jersey.  In NJ, my understanding is whatever fines are collected go largely to the state, and the percentage netted by any township is negligible.  People speed every day in my neighborhood, I'm one of those big mouth neighbors that yells "slow down!" or "It's 25 here"... and I used to think "why don't they come down on these speeders and make money?"  Only once every few months do I see a speeder stopped; I think 'cause the twp doesn't make any money. 

If you want to view paradise . . . simply look around and view it!
AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #22 on: July 15, 2012, 01:27:36 PM »

I was wondering if such in Texas were as it is here in New Jersey.  In NJ, my understanding is whatever fines are collected go largely to the state, and the percentage netted by any township is negligible.  People speed every day in my neighborhood, I'm one of those big mouth neighbors that yells "slow down!" or "It's 25 here"... and I used to think "why don't they come down on these speeders and make money?"  Only once every few months do I see a speeder stopped; I think 'cause the twp doesn't make any money. 

That's the thing. The cops don't spend a lot of time nailing people speeding down residential streets, where it's most dangerous. Granted, they lack the resources to do that, but it's also about how many tickets they can write in the time they spend somewhere. Where I do see speed traps, I wonder how many people they ticket who really didn't intend to speed. I start to wonder when I see cops set up at the bottom of a big hill, or in places where it's not quite obvious that the speed limit is lower. This is not always the case, but it seems cops do frequently target spots where people are more likely to drive faster without meaning to.

---------------------
"Join me in the abyss of savings."
Pages: 1 [2]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Weird News Stories  |  Texas woman arrested for warning drivers of a speed trap. « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.