Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 18, 2024, 10:07:29 PM
712916 Posts in 53040 Topics by 7722 Members
Latest Member: GenevaBarr
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Press Releases and Film News  |  Major DC character to come out of the closet « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8
Author Topic: Major DC character to come out of the closet  (Read 72605 times)
JaseSF
Super Space Age Freaky Geek
B-Movie Kraken

Soon, your brain will turn to jelly.

« Reply #15 on: May 23, 2012, 06:55:36 PM »

For some reason I expect it to be Green Lantern. Don't know why.

"This above all: To thine own self be true!"
Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

Either he's dead or my watch has stopped!

« Reply #16 on: May 23, 2012, 07:32:37 PM »

For some reason I expect it to be Green Lantern. Don't know why.
RYAN REYNOLDS

If you want to view paradise . . . simply look around and view it!
tracy
Inventor of the Turnip Twaddler and
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #17 on: May 24, 2012, 12:58:14 PM »

I dunno....I've had a number of gay friends and it seems to me that when they come out every aspect of their lives is about being gay. I just don't think that this is necessary. Every aspect about my life isn't about being heterosexual....that's just how I am and it is a part of me. I don't organize heterosexual pride parades or try to demonstrate how straight I am. I think this is a personal thing between you,God and your partner/lover/spouse. Personally,I think homosexuality is wrong but I have known some lovely gay folks who were quite dear to me. I didn't pry onto their lives and they did me the same courtesy. I say that if DC has to do this then create a new character instead of messing up a well-known one.

Yes,I'm fine....as long as I don't look too closely.
AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #18 on: May 24, 2012, 01:50:28 PM »

I dunno....I've had a number of gay friends and it seems to me that when they come out every aspect of their lives is about being gay.

I think that has a lot to do with finally getting it out in the open. They've concealed it for years, and feared what people might think if it came out. So, when they finally let go of that burden, I'm sure it just feels great to talk openly about it and assert that formerly hidden part of themselves. I completely understand that. Coming out is a big deal because people consider being gay to be a big deal. If the rest of us just accepted these people and let them be, they'd respond accordingly and just be. I used to complain about pride parades, until I got to thinking that they only exist because many people, both straight and gay, see homosexuality as something embarrassing and shameful and worthy of hiding. Take away gay shame and gay pride will go with it.

I'm actually amazed at the dramatic about-face I've done on this issue in the last year or two, and I'm not entirely sure what precipitated it.

---------------------
"Join me in the abyss of savings."
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

"Charlie,we're in HELL!"-"yeah,ain't it groovy?!"

« Reply #19 on: May 24, 2012, 04:48:41 PM »

I dunno....I've had a number of gay friends and it seems to me that when they come out every aspect of their lives is about being gay. I just don't think that this is necessary. Every aspect about my life isn't about being heterosexual....that's just how I am and it is a part of me. I don't organize heterosexual pride parades or try to demonstrate how straight I am. I think this is a personal thing between you,God and your partner/lover/spouse. Personally,I think homosexuality is wrong but I have known some lovely gay folks who were quite dear to me. I didn't pry onto their lives and they did me the same courtesy. I say that if DC has to do this then create a new character instead of messing up a well-known one.

I agree with most of that statement...except for "I think it's wrong" part.
It's wrong for me....but it may be right for someone else.

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)
Interviewer-"Does Dracula ever end for you?
Lugosi-"No. Dracula-never ends."

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
https://www.tumblr.com/ronmerchant
Raffine

« Reply #20 on: May 24, 2012, 06:00:22 PM »

My guess:

AQUAMAN

He's been around a long time and is well established, but still not quite as ingrained and beloved in the public mind as the likes of Superman and Batman. As far as I know Aquaman just swims around under the sea and sends out psychic vibrations to whales and fishies. DC always seems to be trying to reinvent the character, anyway.

If you're an Andy Milligan fan there's no hope for you.
Psycho Circus
B-Movie Kraken

Shake The Faith

« Reply #21 on: May 24, 2012, 07:14:07 PM »

I just don't think that this is necessary. Every aspect about my life isn't about being heterosexual....that's just how I am and it is a part of me. I don't organize heterosexual pride parades or try to demonstrate how straight I am. I think this is a personal thing between you,God and your partner/lover/spouse. Personally,I think homosexuality is wrong

They have those parades to defy small-minded people like you. If it's so wrong, then let your god judge them and keep your ignorant, blinkered views to yourself.

RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

"Charlie,we're in HELL!"-"yeah,ain't it groovy?!"

« Reply #22 on: May 24, 2012, 08:10:25 PM »

I think homosexuality is wrong but I have known some lovely gay folks who were quite dear to me.

So-if they were lovely,dear to you people-what's wrong with them?
If two people love each other-wtf is wrong with that?
Do they say it is WRONG for you to be hetrosexual?
NO. They just want to be accepted-without fear of being harrased,discriminated against,to marry-to live their lives-like everyone else. And so called "normal" people treat them like sub-humans.
THAT is WRONG.

I believe some people are just afraid-of their way of life being changed-they can't accept the fact that people who don't hold there views on politics,religion,sexual preferance-if they speak a strange language or have differn't cultures-if they dress funny, dont listen to the same music,pierce their faces or what have you-its frighting to them.
And frightened people are dangerous people.
I'm not homosexual-but it doesn't scare me-I dont understand their sexual preference-but if it makes them happy without harming others-so what?

Like the Beatles say-LET IT BE.

Small | Large

« Last Edit: May 24, 2012, 08:23:00 PM by RCMerchant » Logged

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)
Interviewer-"Does Dracula ever end for you?
Lugosi-"No. Dracula-never ends."

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
https://www.tumblr.com/ronmerchant
AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #23 on: May 24, 2012, 09:41:49 PM »

I believe some people are just afraid-of their way of life being changed-they can't accept the fact that people who don't hold there views on politics,religion,sexual preferance-if they speak a strange language or have differn't cultures-if they dress funny, dont listen to the same music,pierce their faces or what have you-its frighting to them.

That's pretty much the way I see it. People want to feel safe about their place in the world, and have life follow clear-cut rules. They want to know who to look up to, and they especially want someone they can look down on. They want the security of an orderly world, preferably one where they are normal and their way of life is the right way. When people start changing the rules, acknowledging that there might be more than one right way to do things, maybe treating their favourite pariahs like human beings, it threatens their place in the natural order as they see it. That scares the crap out of some people.

---------------------
indianasmith
Archeologist, Theologian, Elder Scrolls Addict, and a
B-Movie Kraken

A good bad movie is like popcorn for the soul!

« Reply #24 on: May 24, 2012, 09:45:23 PM »

I don't doubt that some people feel that way.
However, for the committed Christian, we simply either have a choice of rejecting the Book we have built our entire faith around, or reject homosexuality as a moral behavior.  I don't hate homosexuals or fear them, but at the same time, I don't believe that their behavior is something God approves of.  But I still believe He loves them.

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
Psycho Circus
B-Movie Kraken

Shake The Faith

« Reply #25 on: May 25, 2012, 07:03:23 AM »

However, for the committed Christian, we simply either have a choice of rejecting the Book we have built our entire faith around, or reject homosexuality as a moral behavior.  I don't hate homosexuals or fear them, but at the same time, I don't believe that their behavior is something God approves of.  But I still believe He loves them.

Ah, typical contradictory Christianity. Can't "reject the book we have built our entire faith on", yet cherry pick from that book to suit your particular lifestyles.

AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #26 on: May 25, 2012, 11:25:35 AM »

Ah, typical contradictory Christianity. Can't "reject the book we have built our entire faith on", yet cherry pick from that book to suit your particular lifestyles.

To be fair, not all Christians subscribe to an all-or-nothing philosophy, or consider the Bible a divine rule book to be followed to the letter under any circumstances (whether in theory or in practice).

But let's take a look at what is in that book. The Bible says very little about homosexuality, but it says a ton about treating others with respect. To me, the most important principles in the Bible are to treat other people as you would have them treat you, judge not lest ye be judged, let him that is without sin cast the first stone, focus not on the mote in your brother's eye while ignoring the beam in your own, and so on. Those are core Christian principles, and trump any of the older bits that contradict them.

And some of those older bits are open to interpretation as well. There are parts of the Bible that have, over the years, been poorly translated, taken out of their historical context, or just interpreted in ways that best fit people's own biases. And I think there are parts of it that cannot be taken literally, and parts that have grown, for want of a better word, obsolete. I can never understand how people can call the Bible "the living word" while treating it as a dead, stagnant thing that doesn't grow with us.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2012, 11:27:47 AM by AndyC » Logged

---------------------
Raffine

« Reply #27 on: May 25, 2012, 12:01:49 PM »

Captain Marvel, maybe?

"Shazam!" seems like a real gay thing to say.

If you're an Andy Milligan fan there's no hope for you.
tracy
Inventor of the Turnip Twaddler and

« Reply #28 on: May 25, 2012, 12:09:03 PM »

I just don't think that this is necessary. Every aspect about my life isn't about being heterosexual....that's just how I am and it is a part of me. I don't organize heterosexual pride parades or try to demonstrate how straight I am. I think this is a personal thing between you,God and your partner/lover/spouse. Personally,I think homosexuality is wrong

They have those parades to defy small-minded people like you. If it's so wrong, then let your god judge them and keep your ignorant, blinkered views to yourself.

Actually,I believe that I am allowed to have my opinions....I wouldn't say such a thing to you. I don't wish harm to anyone and I believe that whether you are gay or not is between you and God. I can like someone as a person while still disagreeing with their lifestyle. I have never had a gay friend hate me because I am straight and I would not hate them because they are gay. I don't think I am small-minded....just different-minded as they are they. And gay folks don't scare me.....sometimes they worry me but that is usually on an individual basis. I'm kind of not really interested in anyone's sexual dealings....we don't have enough privacy anymore.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2012, 12:12:35 PM by tracy » Logged

Yes,I'm fine....as long as I don't look too closely.
Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

Either he's dead or my watch has stopped!

« Reply #29 on: May 25, 2012, 12:35:04 PM »

Actually,I believe that I am allowed to have my opinions....I wouldn't say such a thing to you. I don't wish harm to anyone and I believe that whether you are gay or not is between you and God. I can like someone as a person while still disagreeing with their lifestyle. I have never had a gay friend hate me because I am straight and I would not hate them because they are gay. I don't think I am small-minded....just different-minded as they are they. And gay folks don't scare me.....sometimes they worry me but that is usually on an individual basis. I'm kind of not really interested in anyone's sexual dealings....we don't have enough privacy anymore.
Y'know what?  Circus isn't gay - not by a long shot - but he does wear his hair long and has been known to indulge in makeup.  I realize you did not imply such, but I think it's worth setting the record straight; he knows what it's like to be singled out, perceived one way or another, and disparaged for same.  The man has guts. 

If you want to view paradise . . . simply look around and view it!
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Press Releases and Film News  |  Major DC character to come out of the closet « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.