Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 18, 2024, 10:23:48 PM
712918 Posts in 53040 Topics by 7722 Members
Latest Member: GenevaBarr
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Television  |  The Flintstones « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: The Flintstones  (Read 3936 times)
AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« on: August 31, 2012, 01:16:49 PM »

I've been introducing my daughter to The Flintstones lately. It was a big part of my childhood, airing every day at lunchtime on the local station. I'd come home for lunch and watch it on the little black-and-white set in the kitchen.

Coming back with an adult perspective, I see a lot of things I didn't before, and not just references I didn't get as a kid, or jokes that went over my head. Watching The Flintstones again for the first time in years, I'm amazed at what a bunch of liars the characters on that show are. Most of the episodes involve some sort of lie, deception or secret. Mostly it's Fred, but Wilma does her share, with Barney or Betty going along.

Even apart from the lies, I never noticed what a bastard Fred Flintstone could be - dishonest, lazy, impulsive, short-tempered, egotistical, selfish, insensitive, and so on.

On the bright side, I suppose there are always consequences. Lies are exposed, a price is paid, Fred (or whoever) usually sees the error of his ways and he's genuinely sorry, even if he hasn't exactly mended his ways.

Looking at all of that, I'm also gaining a greater appreciation of how much The Simpsons owe to The Flintstones. The similarities between Fred and Homer are even clearer than I'd thought. And Fred clearly owes a lot to Ralph Kramden.

---------------------
"Join me in the abyss of savings."
HappyGilmore
B-Movie Kraken

I know Quack-Fu.

« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2012, 05:46:34 PM »

In an episode of Simpsons, they mentioned themselves essentially being a ripoff of The Flintstones, and said the Flintstones owed everything to Honeymooners.

All in all, I love The Flintstones. I recall hearing that 'Family Guy' creator Seth MacFarlane is remaking The Flintstones.

"The path to Heaven runs through miles of clouded Hell."

Don’t get too close, it’s dark inside.
It’s where my demons hide, it’s where my demons hide.
tracy
Inventor of the Turnip Twaddler and
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2012, 11:58:24 AM »

One of my childhood regulars. I noticed from an early age that they were a stone age version of the Honeymooners,a favorite of mine. Yes,Fred and the bunch were not perfect but I knew it was "let's pretend" like my grandmother used to say. At lease they saw the consequences of their words and deeds......I don't see that so much these days on tv.

Yes,I'm fine....as long as I don't look too closely.
alandhopewell
A NorthCoaster In Texas
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Hey....white women were in season.

« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2012, 12:05:36 PM »

In an episode of Simpsons, they mentioned themselves essentially being a ripoff of The Flintstones, and said the Flintstones owed everything to Honeymooners.

All in all, I love The Flintstones. I recall hearing that 'Family Guy' creator Seth MacFarlane is remaking The Flintstones.

Considering his current product, that would be a disaster.

If it's true what they say, that GOD created us in His image, then why should we not love creating, and why should we not continue to do so, as carefully and ethically as we can, on whatever scale we're capable of?

The choice is simple; refuse to create, and refuse to grow, or build, with care and love.
HappyGilmore
B-Movie Kraken

I know Quack-Fu.

« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2012, 05:31:11 PM »

I think MacFarlane doing Flintstones is terrible.

"The path to Heaven runs through miles of clouded Hell."

Don’t get too close, it’s dark inside.
It’s where my demons hide, it’s where my demons hide.
66Crush
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2012, 01:05:57 AM »

The Flintstones is as good a sitcom as any from the golden age of TV. I think the writing was brilliant. The characters were real characters, not just characterizations. The voice actors really made the characters their own. It's not that lazy phoned in voice  acting we see in most children's cartoons. The Flintstones should be getting the same kind of respect that I Love Lucy or The Dick Van Dyke show gets. The Flintstones is one those important TV landmarks.
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Television  |  The Flintstones « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.