Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 27, 2016, 09:16:30 AM
564835 Posts in 43351 Topics by 5635 Members
Latest Member: dancing_pizza_slice
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Entertainment  |  Shakespeare's Solution : Kill the Kid « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Shakespeare's Solution : Kill the Kid  (Read 1373 times)
BoyScoutKevin
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema
****

Karma: 191
Posts: 3669


« Reply #15 on: January 09, 2016, 01:35:37 PM »

On the other hand . . .?!

Think "The child of my enemy is my enemy," and (IMHO) you have a scene that does not work, and here are some examples of that.

Anonymous
Robin Hood and the Monk

What a difference a century makes. What was acceptable when the story was written would not be acceptable in Shakespeare's time. Nor would it be acceptable in our time, as the story told today has to be rewritten.

Sarah Douglas
The Daughter of Hades

C. S. Forester
Hornblower and the Crisis

Zane Grey
The Last Wagon Train

Victor Hugo
The Hunchback of Notre Dame

Per Lagerkervist
The Dwarf

Jean Rabe
The Rebellion

Kenneth Roberts
The Northwest Passage

Whitley Streiber
The Hunger

And the effect on me is even greater. If a scene does not work in a film, several of which we have already mentioned, I'll continue to watch the film, and I even might enjoy the film. On the other hand . . . ?! If a scene does not work in a book, then I stop reading the book.

And when the number of kids killed can be determined in all the books mentioned, only 4 or 5 are girls or 18% to 23% are girls, and all the rest are boys or 77% to 82%.

Next time: we'll wrap it all up with some final comments
Logged
BoyScoutKevin
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema
****

Karma: 191
Posts: 3669


« Reply #16 on: January 23, 2016, 01:11:51 PM »

Final comments

As to the why it interests me, not because like some, I like seeing kids killed, but . . .?! Because it really is one of the hardest scenes to do and/or write rightly, as one can so easily do what one does not want to do, and that is alienate one's audience and/or readers, which one really, really does not want to do, if one want to be successful. Thus, it takes a great filmmaker and/or writer, almost a Shakespeare to do the scene well enough, so that it does not alienate one's audience and/or readers.

And that is that.
Logged
Pages: 1 [2]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Entertainment  |  Shakespeare's Solution : Kill the Kid « previous next »
    Jump to:  


    RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email


    Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

    The Champions of Justice

    Plan 9 from Outer Space

    Manos, The Hands of Fate

    Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

    Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

    Dragonball: The Magic Begins

    Cool As Ice

    The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

    Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

    Do you have a zombie plan?

    FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

    Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

    Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

    Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

    HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

    Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.