Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 19, 2024, 02:32:50 AM
712922 Posts in 53040 Topics by 7722 Members
Latest Member: GenevaBarr
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  Box Office Horror Flashback: 1980 « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Box Office Horror Flashback: 1980  (Read 2522 times)
claws
« on: June 14, 2012, 04:15:59 AM »

Similar to my other Flashback threads, but with focus on the horror genre, or movies that sort of lean in that direction.

1980:

01 - $44,017,374 - The Shining (Adjusted for Ticket Price Inflation: $129,597,600)
02 - $39,754,601 - Friday the 13th ($117,047,000)
03 - $31,899,000 - Dressed to Kill ($93,918,200)
04 - $21,378,361 - The Fog ($62,943,000)
05 - $19,853,892 - Altered States ($58,454,600)
06 - $15,716,828 - The Island ($46,274,100)
07 - $14,796,236 - Prom Night ($43,563,600)
08 - $09,000,000 - Saturn 3 ($26,498,100)
09 - $08,415,112 - The Awakening ($24,776,100)
10 - $06,342,668 - Motel Hell

11 - $04,875,436 - He Knows You're Alone
12 - $04,028,735 - Jaws 2 (1980 re-issue)
13 - $02,128,395 - Windows ($6,266,500)
14 - $01,262,052 - When a Stranger Calls (Re-issue)
15 - $00,059,167 - Phobia
« Last Edit: June 14, 2012, 04:27:27 AM by claws » Logged
fulci420
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2012, 12:42:05 PM »

What a great year for the genre! Havent heard of a couple of these (The Awakening, Saturn, Windows etc...) But the ones i have seen i think are among the highlights of their genres. In fact among the horror movies that i have viewed recently i see a couple on this list that were among my favs.
Friday The 13th-Holds up today this changed the genre but few could match the tension and atmosphere of the first 2 f13 movies.

Dressed To Kill-Saw this for the first time recently and was impressed by Depalma's mastery of the genre. Also i found this surprisingly similar to Dario Argento's style, does anyone know if Depalma acknowledges this?

Altered States-Dont know if you'd see a movie this challenging getting put on screens today. Goes apes**t at the end but there is some thought provoking material and striking images throughout.

As for the winner, (The Shining) I never really warmed to this film. I have no specific problems with it but generally is not a a movie i would reach for but i can see why it was such a big hit.

For further context one only needs to look at the budgets of the top 3 to see which one was the true biggest success.

The Shining-22 Million, Friday The 13th 550,000 (wow!) Dressed To kill 6.5 Million. Its clear from those budgets that while The Shining was the biggest grossing film, it would be F13 that got studios excited and eager to push out sequels. 
bob
I survived Bucky Larson
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Torgo watches you masterbate!

« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2012, 01:27:46 AM »

I watched Altered States once......it's very strange.
And of course The Shining is fantastic.

Kubrick, Nolan, Tarantino, Wan, Iñárritu, Scorsese, Chaplin, Abrams, Wes Anderson, Gilliam, Kurosawa - the elite

I believe in the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

"Charlie,we're in HELL!"-"yeah,ain't it groovy?!"

« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2012, 04:43:51 AM »

I was 18 years old.  Smile

I saw-at the theater-
.The SHINING-in Kalamazoo,Michigan. My freind Nick,his sister Daphne,and her freind Tina. When Jack stuck an axe in Halloran,Tina jumped out of her seat and went running up the aisle to the lobby. She stayed there the rest of the movie  Thumbup. Good times.
.ALTERED STATES-also saw in Kalamazoo with Nick and Daphane-no Tina this time-her freind Terry came this time-she laughed all through the movie-we all did!
.WHEN A STRANGER CALLS-seen this one in Queens NYC.With my brother Glenn and my Ma! Ma loved scary movies-he would yell at the screen! I saw this in-1979,though....pretty sure...

I seen all the others as well-but on cable tv or vhs.
Except WINDOWS-never heard of that one...or PHOBIA. Hmm-will have to investigate...

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)
Interviewer-"Does Dracula ever end for you?
Lugosi-"No. Dracula-never ends."

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
https://www.tumblr.com/ronmerchant
claws
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2012, 05:18:42 AM »

Except WINDOWS-never heard of that one...or PHOBIA. Hmm-will have to investigate...

Critics and audiences hated Windows and Phobia. Both are quite awful indeed.

Windows: Talia Shire is playing some basket case/rape victim stalked by a psychotic lesbian. Could've been fun over-the-top "Fatal Attraction" type exploitation but they went the serious route, with dull results. I watched this for the first time on YouTube some time ago, no idea if its still available there.

Phobia: John Houston's attempt at a psychological slasher turned out to be a disaster. Again, very dull and boring with a few neat kills.
JaseSF
Super Space Age Freaky Geek
B-Movie Kraken

Soon, your brain will turn to jelly.

« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2012, 09:45:38 PM »

I've seen most of the films in the top 10 (aside from The Awakening and The Island). Pretty solid year with a surprising amount of range. I recall when I was only a little kid, The Shining being hugely popular. One of the earliest horror films I recall being exposed to with some pretty startling stuff at the time. The ending is particularly gripping and suspenseful.

Friday the 13th in second place, seems a bit too high nowadays but hey the slasher genre was still relatively new and the film did have a neat twist ending. Surprised to see stuff like Saturn 3 and Motel Hell on a Top 10 list but hey, shows B-movies still had some popularity at the time. Interestingly I own 8 of these films on DVD today and probably would like to have another few from it.

"This above all: To thine own self be true!"
tracy
Inventor of the Turnip Twaddler and
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2012, 04:18:26 PM »

I saw The Shining and Friday the 13th....definitely prefered The Shining.

Yes,I'm fine....as long as I don't look too closely.
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  Box Office Horror Flashback: 1980 « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.