Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 18, 2024, 11:04:16 PM
712920 Posts in 53040 Topics by 7722 Members
Latest Member: GenevaBarr
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Information Exchange  |  Movie Reviews  |  August @ 366 Weird Movies: AMERICAN ASTRONAUT, BARBARELLA, D. Wishman, more! « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: August @ 366 Weird Movies: AMERICAN ASTRONAUT, BARBARELLA, D. Wishman, more!  (Read 5358 times)
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« on: August 10, 2012, 03:05:11 PM »

Lotsa stuff to catch up on...

8 1/2 (1963): CERTIFIED WEIRD! "Watching 8 1/2 is like being dropped inside Federico Fellini’s brain and wandering around inside its convoluted folds."

DEADLY WEAPONS/DOUBLE AGENT 73: "Cut-away shots of hedges, a repellently hued yellow-ochre telephone, the most beautifully ghastly wallpaper ever captured on celluloid, and nonsensical extreme close-ups of [Chesty] Morgan's 73-inch fleshbags creates a visually surreal train wreck of a movie."-AE

THE AMAZING TRANSPLANT (1970): "Apart from the downright bizarre compositions and editing choices, there is little to recommend The Amazing Transplant, unless you possess a masochistic craving for bizarre train wrecks passing as American cinema. Admittedly, I do."-AE

MAY (2002): " It’s an above average horror outing sporting superior performances, but it’s not a revolutionary genre movie, and given the film’s socially ghoulish first two thirds, there is a sense of a missed opportunity to do something truly special."

SOUND OF NOISE (2010): " If David Lynch directed the Swedish cast of STOMP in an action-comedy, I think it might go a little something like this…"

@SUICIDEROOM (2011): " The stylistic strategy could be described either as 'virtual magical realism' or 'digital Expressionism.'"
« Last Edit: August 17, 2012, 03:56:07 PM by Rev. Powell » Logged

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
claws
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2012, 03:21:43 PM »

DEADLY WEAPONS/DOUBLE AGENT 73: "Cut-away shots of hedges, a repellently hued yellow-ochre telephone, the most beautifully ghastly wallpaper ever captured on celluloid, and nonsensical extreme close-ups of [Chesty] Morgan's 73-inch fleshbags creates a visually surreal train wreck of a movie."-AE

Nice review, too bad there aren't many reviews about Wishman's A Night to Dismember. A cheesy masterpiece mostly ignored.
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2012, 03:34:49 PM »

Nice review, too bad there aren't many reviews about Wishman's A Night to Dismember. A cheesy masterpiece mostly ignored.

Alfred's got a couple more Wishman reviews lined up, but not A NIGHT TO DISMEMBER. Maybe I'll pass your suggestion on to him while he's still in Wishman-mode.

Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2012, 03:51:50 PM »

A rare double-certification week...

THE AMERICAN ASTRONAUT (2001): CERTIFIED WEIRD! "They also pass time on lonely spaceship rides by singing about 'the baby in a jar with glasses on and a gun,' so when Sam croons his big love song to the Queen of Venus—'The Girl with the Vagina Made of Glass' ('so perfect and pure, and gynecologically demure')—it feels like a return to reality."

BARBARELLA (1968): CERTIFIED WEIRD! "The wild costumes, over-saturated color schemes, goofy dialogue, and sly winks to the audience are punctuated with weird little details, from deadly animatronic dolls to a hair-raising futuristic sex scene with minimal physical contact."-AK

LET ME DIE A WOMAN (1978): "Flopping penises, dildos galore, and Dr. Wollman’s fingers probing a vagina are the visual highlights (!) brought to you by Madame Wishman. Do you really have to ask why John Waters is in love with this mondo trash mutant of a film?"-AE

DEAR GOD, NO! (2011):"It goes balls to the wall with the 5 B’s of Exploitation Movies – Bikers, Bullets, Boobs, Blood, Beer – all of which are in ample supply… and adds another ‘B’ to the party – Bigfoot."-LRH
« Last Edit: August 17, 2012, 03:55:51 PM by Rev. Powell » Logged

Mofo Rising
Global Moderator
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

My cat can eat a whole watermelon!

« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2012, 03:39:34 AM »

I'm actually a bit surprised that The American Astronaut got a second look for your list, more so for the fan support than anything else.

I think I may have been the one to suggest the movie to you, but to be fair I watched it on the recommendation of Mr. Vindictive (nee Skaboi).

I don't think it's a complete success of a movie, but I think the "Hertz Donut" monologue is brilliant.

Every dead body that is not exterminated becomes one of them. It gets up and kills. The people it kills, get up and kill.
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2012, 09:36:54 AM »

I'm actually a bit surprised that The American Astronaut got a second look for your list, more so for the fan support than anything else.

I think I may have been the one to suggest the movie to you, but to be fair I watched it on the recommendation of Mr. Vindictive (nee Skaboi).

I don't think it's a complete success of a movie, but I think the "Hertz Donut" monologue is brilliant.

About two seconds after I clicked "submit" on my first AMERICAN ASTRONAUT post, I thought "damn! I should have Certified this Weird." This happens to me a lot.

I don't think it's entirely successful either, but I completely understand why some people love it. It's so unique that it's hard to recommend or not recommend, it's really something you've got to see for yourself.

Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2012, 06:15:14 PM »

Late again! And last week's weirdos were...

TWIXT (2011): "Coppola describes it as 'one part Gothic Romance, one part personal film and one part the kind of horror film I began my career with,' which is a pretty packed sandwich—not everything will fit neatly there."-LRH

KEYHOLE (2011): "..feels built out of stray ideas he couldn’t fit into other movies. Still, average Guy Maddin blows away Michael Bay in peak form; if you’re going to repeat yourself, it helps to have a vision that’s worth repeating."

DORORO (2007): "... in what other movie can you watch a samurai kill a winged demon while flamenco music plays?"

NUDE ON THE MOON (1962): "Jeff now knows that, to find boobs, he need not look any further than his own back yard."-AE

Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2012, 02:00:22 PM »

Finishing up summer blockbuster season...

DEAD RINGERS (1988): Certified Weird! "...it’s only when you sit down and analyze Dead Ringers afterwards that you can think of it as anything approaching a normal, rational story. While you’re in the movie’s grips, it’s a weird and uncomfortable experience; the film equivalent of being put into stirrups while a masked man probes your insides with experimental instruments of his own invention."

DANIEL FAWCETT & CLARA PAIS' TOP 10 WEIRD MOVIES LIST #10 - Hold Me While I'm Naked by George Kuchar

KILL LIST (2011): "If a twisted horror movie with a grimy arthouse aesthetic appeals to you, then Kill List is definitely worth a watch."-JM

DREAMCHILD (1985): "Far from jettisoning of the darker, surreal elements of 'Alice in Wonderland' (as happens in Tim Burton's neutered version), Dreamchild does not flinch from the nightmarish qualities in this famous tale."-AE

Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Information Exchange  |  Movie Reviews  |  August @ 366 Weird Movies: AMERICAN ASTRONAUT, BARBARELLA, D. Wishman, more! « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.