Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 19, 2024, 01:24:44 AM
712922 Posts in 53040 Topics by 7722 Members
Latest Member: GenevaBarr
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Badmovies.org's 2012 Annual October Horror Movie Watching Thread « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 17
Author Topic: Badmovies.org's 2012 Annual October Horror Movie Watching Thread  (Read 100211 times)
ChaosTheory
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #105 on: October 14, 2012, 01:45:39 PM »

^^Oohh, haven't watched FRAILTY in a while.  I should add it to my list.^^

10-10:  SATAN'S SLAVE.  Rather ugly exploitation flick about a woman who discovers her family is a bunch of devil-worshipping necromancers. Michael Gough co-stars.  2/10

10-11:  BRAIN TWISTERS.  An evil corporation is constructing computer imaging software which hypnotizes college kids and turns them homicidal, for reasons that are never really explained.  Cheap and hilariously dated 5/10

10-12: TRIP WITH THE TEACHER.  Four schoolgirls and their teacher get terrorized by a pair of looney bikers while on an overnight field trip.  Similar in style to LAST HOUSE ON THE LEFT but not quite as nasty or aggressively stupid as LHOTL; genuinely unsettling at times.  5/10

10-13: MST3K: HOBGOBLINS.  It's the 80's! Do a lotta coke and vote for Ronald Reagan!
Definitely one of the essentials!
Small | Large

Through the darkness of future past
The magician longs to see
One chance opts between two worlds
Fire walk with me
JoeTheDestroyer
Random Text Crapper
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #106 on: October 14, 2012, 01:54:42 PM »

Movie 27: Baby Blood (1990)

Small | Large

Movie 28: Forget Me Not (2009)

Small | Large

Pretty much The Grudge with typical teenagers played by actors who couldn't be younger than 24 (some even looked 30).  Predictable teenage hedonism, boring death scenes, and very little actual fun or scares.   Thumbdown

Latest reader review:
Crossbow (Atari 2600)
Latest staff reviews:
BC Racers (32X)
Dying Light (PS4)
AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #107 on: October 14, 2012, 06:50:26 PM »

Couple of more recent ones this weekend.

Silent House (2011) - Liked it. Pretty scary in a "something's going to happen any second" sort of way. Does a nice job of keeping possibilities open and leaving you guessing until the end. Is it ghosts, is it flesh-and-blood people, is it a delusion? I did manage to guess correctly, but there is a further twist I didn't see coming, although there had been clues. Good movie.

Feast (2005) - Various characters are trapped inside a bar, fighting off ferocious carnivorous beasts. Good action, good monsters, nice surprises, pretty gory but to an extent that it's almost played for laughs, and just enough self-awareness and humour. Liked the way each character is introduced by a caption listing name, occupation, fun facts and life expectancy.

---------------------
"Join me in the abyss of savings."
fulci420
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #108 on: October 14, 2012, 06:55:49 PM »

Film Number 11
The Boneyard
What a weird movie this was. So we have Phyllis Diller and her poodle turning into demon zombies. We have a psychic women teaming up with a detective of sorts to solve.. something or other. Honestly I watched this last night and couldn't really tell you what happened.

Film Number 12
Bay Of Blood
Wow, I had heard about this film as the movie that films like Friday the 13th ripped off but never knew just how much better this was than the imitators. Amazingly shot by Mario Bava this film does what the early friday movies do but with better direction, kills and music. For some reason I never really checked out Mario Bava but the quality of this film makes me think a couple more of his films will make an appearance this month. Like The Boneyard this can also be found on Youtube.

Next up for film 13 I'm going to watch another Bava movie this time "Lisa and the Devil".
fulci420
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #109 on: October 14, 2012, 11:03:06 PM »

Film number 13
Lisa and the Devil
So after being thoroughly impressed by Bay of Blood I was excited to check out a film I had heard about over the years but never seen. This was apparently a very personal film by Bava that nobody wanted to buy resulting it being recut as a exorcist rip off called "House of Exorcism". Honestly I can see why nobody would take a chance with this original version. This is a slow atmospheric story that at times seems more like a series of paintings than a horror film. Mario Bava was obviously a master cinematographer which he displays here with amazing camera work, locations and costumes. But despite all of these great things I had trouble paying attention at times and the plot seemed to be of little priority throughout.
Will have to revisit later maybe with a better print and more Bava films under my belt.
66Crush
« Reply #110 on: October 15, 2012, 01:42:51 AM »

Poltergeist (1982)

Small | Large

Creepshow (1982)

Small | Large

The Stuff (1985)

Small | Large

JoeTheDestroyer
Random Text Crapper
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #111 on: October 15, 2012, 01:44:58 AM »

Movie 29: Cemetery Man (aka Dellamorte Dellamore)

Small | Large

Latest reader review:
Crossbow (Atari 2600)
Latest staff reviews:
BC Racers (32X)
Dying Light (PS4)
claws
« Reply #112 on: October 15, 2012, 05:43:02 AM »

10/13/12 Filmcount: 16

The Monster Squad (1987)

Not very original (literally steals scenes/ideas from The Goonies and Explorers) and even as a straight guy I sometimes wonder about the homophobic tone/attitude (very common in 80s movies). That said, The Monster Squad is still a very entertaining horror comedy with great f/x and visuals. 4.5/5
bob
I survived Bucky Larson

Torgo watches you masterbate!

« Reply #113 on: October 15, 2012, 09:37:30 AM »

What I've conquered for horror movies so far this month:

October 1 The Invisible Man (1933) 5/5
October 3 The Mummy (1932) 4.75/5
October 4 Night of the Living Dead (1968) 10/5
October 5 Frankenstein (1931) 5/5
October 6 Nosferatu (1922) 5/5
October 7 Seven (1995) 7/5
October 10 White Zombie (1932) 10/5
October 12 The Wolfman (1941) 5/5
October 14 Invasion of the Body Snachers (1956) 4.5/5
October 14 Alien (1979) 5/5
October 14 Children of the Corn (1984) 0/5

Kubrick, Nolan, Tarantino, Wan, Iñárritu, Scorsese, Chaplin, Abrams, Wes Anderson, Gilliam, Kurosawa - the elite

I believe in the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.
Andrew
Administrator

I know where my towel is.

« Reply #114 on: October 15, 2012, 10:56:42 AM »

"Doghouse"
A group of friends flee from their toxic relationships to have a guys' weekend.  Some of their woman problems are caused by themselves, while for others the women are just plain crazy.  One of them is a quiet fellow who is suffering through a divorce.

What the men run into at a remote hamlet is a virus that turns women into men-killing zombies.  Almost every (from a man's perspective) female stereotype is present, such as a bride, a witch, a schoolgirl, a scissor-carrying hair stylist, a dentist, and even a mountain of a woman whose appetite for everything male is too terrible to describe.  What plays out is a battle of the sexes, if women were all out to torture and kill men, and the men were only armed with golf clubs and remote control vehicles.

Come to think of it, the men are all stereotypes too.  The movie is fair in that regard.

Definitely worth a look if you haven't seen it.  I'd give it 2 or 3 slimes.

Movie 7
Of Unknown Origin
Directed by George Cosmatos (Rambo 2, Tombstone) and starring Peter Weller (Robocop) this man vs beast film is an underrated horror flick shot in Montreal. Peter Weller seems to have it all a hot wife (Shannon Tweed) a kid and a beautiful home. When the wife and kid go away things start to go awry as he realizes his home has been invaded by a giant rat. Seriously this rat is the size of a giant cat and has a personal vendetta on Peter Weller. What we get here is a psychological thriller in the disguise of a creature feature. Weller does a great job portraying one man's descent into madness trying to defend his home. On the directing front we get some fantastic shots and nice camera movement. The effects of the rat are a combination of real rats and puppet work and are still pretty effective today. 4/5

I loved the spike-studded rat bat!

http://www.badmovies.org/capsules/o/ofunknown/

Andrew Borntreger
Badmovies.org
fulci420
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #115 on: October 15, 2012, 11:19:05 AM »

Film Numero 14
Curfew (1989)-Wow very likely the worst movie I have seen so far this month. There was some promise at the beginning with the bad acting and quotes being funny in a Troll 2 way but as the film goes on these moments come less and less.
So we have some annoying brothers who both ended up in jail for a murder that only one of them commited. So when they get out they go after the judge, doctor and eventually the DA's family. We are introduced to the DA's family through their daughter who is generally attractive except for some ridiculous eyebrows. It looks like two vans made entirely of hair decided to park on her forehead.
Early on she walks down a coutry road in a short skirt and this exchange happens with a neighbor.
Neighbor-May I offer you a glass of lemonade
Eyebrows-No thank you
Neighbor-Well in that case may I offer you a pair of pants?
So that right there is pretty much the highlight of the film. That should tell you enough. The film plods along well enough until we get to the DA's house in which this quickly becomes Funny Games with down syndrome. You can find this on youtube but I would suggest you wouldn't.

Semi-interesting trivia-The director would recover from this nightmarish film to have a sucessful career making children/chick flicks such as Charlottes web and Bride Wars. What a career!
Also John Putch who plays one of the brothers terribly can be proud to have directed Atlas Shrugged Part 2 surely to be one of the biggest bombs of this year.
crackers
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #116 on: October 15, 2012, 12:25:14 PM »

So far this month
1) The Gore Gore Girls
2) Maniac
3) New York Ripper
4) The Monster Squad
5) Killjoy
6) Granny
7) Susperia
8) Killing Spree
9) Don't Panic
10) Popcorn
11) Return Of The Killer Tomatoes
12) The Stuff
13) Wrong Turn 3
14) Piranha 3DD
15) Colin
16) Deranged
17) The Offerings
« Last Edit: October 18, 2012, 05:23:18 AM by crackers » Logged

Jim H

« Reply #117 on: October 15, 2012, 08:12:39 PM »

10/13/12 Filmcount: 16

The Monster Squad (1987)

Not very original (literally steals scenes/ideas from The Goonies and Explorers) and even as a straight guy I sometimes wonder about the homophobic tone/attitude (very common in 80s movies). That said, The Monster Squad is still a very entertaining horror comedy with great f/x and visuals. 4.5/5

I watched that one last night!  Been a while.  And yeah, takes a lot from Goonies/Explorers.  A lot of fun though, I loved it growing up and still enjoy it.  Great pacing too.  Some of the plot logic is a little hard to follow or unexplained too (like, where did the Wolfman come from?) 8/10.

Yesterday I also saw Super 8 again, think this was my third viewing.  It really is a very good film.  Funny, good acting, good characters, and a solid enough storyline about family and loss to stand on its own without the other part of the story.  And that the other part also works great is just icing on the cake.  Really enjoy it.  9/10.

And today I saw The Seventh Curse.  This is one of the crazier golden age Hong Kong horror films, with just EVERYTHING in it.  Several nude scenes, buckets of gore, kung fu fights, gun battles, car crashes, slapstick comedy, a skeleton that eats spinal cords, a giant reptile monster, a flying killer baby, and Chow Yun-Fat with a rocket launcher.  It might help to add it's made by the same people who did Story of Ricky.  I don't think this movie goes more than 30 seconds without something genuinely entertaining happening.  Just great stuff for most of the people on this board.  9/10.
AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #118 on: October 15, 2012, 10:42:52 PM »

Slither (2006) - An organism falls from space outside a small town, takes possession of one of the locals, and the place is soon overrun with zombies and Lovecraftian monstrosities. Horror/comedy that works well, with well-timed laughs, memorable scenes and the odd quotable line, while at the same time delivering some tense and unsettling moments, and some very effective makeup and effects work. Clearly made by horror fans for horror fans, with homages and references to a slew of other movies. Among the requisite group of off-beat small-town characters, the big standout for me was Gregg Henry as mayor Jack MacReady (three guesses who he's named after). The guy gets most of the really funny lines. Really pleasantly surprised with this one.
Small | Large

---------------------
"Join me in the abyss of savings."
Jack
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #119 on: October 16, 2012, 06:26:37 AM »

Zombie Cheerleading Camp (2007) - there's some cheerleaders at a camp, and then there's three horny guys, one of whom has been bitten by a zombified squirrel yadda yadda yadda.  This was awful.  Tries to be a spoof but all the jokes fall flat.  It's not low budget, it's zero budget with non-existent production values, non-existent acting, etc.  Theme music is terrible and annoying inappropriate, sound is all screwy with the dialogue being the quietest thing on the entire soundtrack.  Loved when I turned it on and the opening music could be heard halfway down the street.  The "zombies" are completely non-threatening, people acting afraid of them is boring.  1.5/5.

The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion.

- Paulo Coelho
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 17
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Badmovies.org's 2012 Annual October Horror Movie Watching Thread « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.