Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 18, 2024, 09:19:48 PM
712916 Posts in 53040 Topics by 7722 Members
Latest Member: GenevaBarr
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Badmovies.org's 2012 Annual October Horror Movie Watching Thread « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 17
Author Topic: Badmovies.org's 2012 Annual October Horror Movie Watching Thread  (Read 100196 times)
SynapticBoomstick
Cinematic Monster Fanatic from Weird New Jersey
Bad Movie Lover

One monster with extra cheese, hold the plot.

« Reply #90 on: October 10, 2012, 12:11:51 PM »

Finally, saw Riki-Oh again (hadn't seen it in a couple years).  Not sure if it counts as horror or not - the level of gore puts it close to it at least.  I find it to be a pretty entertaining film, even if in many ways it is kind of awful (huge gaps in storyline, for example).  Was also kind of fun watching it with my girlfriend, who speaks Cantonese, and evidently the bishounen-style character (the androgynous member of the Gang of Four) speaks in a very deep-masculine sounding voice but his mannerisms and ending patterns are very feminine.  8/10

Oh god, that movie is an experience. I'm finding it almost impossible to think of anything I've seen before that was at the same level of insanity as Riki-Oh, it's practically "Kenshiro Goes to Prison". TongueOut

Kleel's rule is harsh :-B
JoeTheDestroyer
Random Text Crapper
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #91 on: October 11, 2012, 01:08:06 AM »

Movie 17: Ginger Snaps (2000)

Small | Large

Movie 18: Eaten Alive (1980)

Small | Large

Not a movie I can manage to sit through all of the time.  At times, the gore is just too much.  That's something you'll almost never hear me say, but the part where a couple women are cut open, gutted and cooked is just too much.

And this is coming from the guy who loved Jack Ketchum's novel Off Season, which has a similar even depicted in it.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2012, 03:09:25 AM by JoeTheDestroyer » Logged

Latest reader review:
Crossbow (Atari 2600)
Latest staff reviews:
BC Racers (32X)
Dying Light (PS4)
Jack
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #92 on: October 11, 2012, 06:31:36 AM »

Return of the Living Dead: Rave to the Grave (2005) - some college kids get their hands on a barrel of Trioxyin, and after one guy tastes it and gets all wasted, the other geniuses come up with the idea of selling it as a drug at an upcoming rave.  This...causes some problems   BounceGiggle  The two good kids try to straighten it all out, while a pair of Russian Interpol agents use somewhat more questionable tactics to combat the zombie hordes.  I really enjoyed this.  Very fun tongue-firmly-planted-in-cheek zombie movie.   The main babe is totally hawt, good lord  TeddyR  4.25/5.

The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion.

- Paulo Coelho
claws
« Reply #93 on: October 11, 2012, 02:10:17 PM »

10/10/12 Filmcount: 11

Summer of Fear (1978)

Linda Blair vs Evil: Orphan Cousin from the Ozarks moves in with Aunt's family in Cali and brings along the occult. Effective horror from Wes Craven presented here on a French Blu-ray (region locked) release. Solid 4:3 transfer with burned in subs that didn't really distract. 4/5
JoeTheDestroyer
Random Text Crapper
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #94 on: October 12, 2012, 01:33:14 AM »

Well, I finally decided after this viewing to toss Eaten Alive in the Goodwill box.  I feel kind of dirty passing that movie on to Goodwill, though.

Movie 19: Absentia (2011)

Small | Large

A fairly freaky movie that makes me want to avoid walking through tunnels or under bridges.

Movie 20: Inside (2007)

Small | Large

Movie 21: Anthropophagus: The Grim Reaper (1980)

Small | Large
« Last Edit: October 12, 2012, 03:43:11 AM by JoeTheDestroyer » Logged

Latest reader review:
Crossbow (Atari 2600)
Latest staff reviews:
BC Racers (32X)
Dying Light (PS4)
Jack
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #95 on: October 12, 2012, 06:36:46 AM »

Curse of the Devil (1973) - one of those Paul Naschy movies from Spain.  Naschy's ancestors burned a witch and she put a werewolf curse on the family, and unfortunately for our main guy, that curse takes effect with him.  He's a rich property owner and picks up some girl who's lying injured in the road, but it's just a setup and she infects him with werewolf blood.  So he's running around killing random villagers while meanwhile an insane killer is also on the loose, and the murders get blamed on him.  These things always have great atmosphere (and plenty of full frontal nudity lol).  Rather slow moving, but still enjoyable.  3.5/5.

The Ghost Galleon (1974) - a couple of fashion models get stranded on a boat and happen across an old Spanish galleon.  They go aboard and discover, of all people, the blind dead.  Meanwhile the folks who employed the girls show up to rescue them and also end up stranded aboard the galleon.  There's enough fog and creaky old wood in this thing for several horror movies.  It's...cheesy.  My wife had to MST3K the whole thing.  The zombies are really cool looking but they move at a snail's pace and, as my wife puts it, would probably "only be a threat if you were a quadriplegic and the battery in your wheelchair ran out."  Still has some pretty good atmosphere and one of the fashion models was quite cute.  3.5/5.

The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion.

- Paulo Coelho
Jim H
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #96 on: October 12, 2012, 04:29:53 PM »

Last night I watched We Have To Talk About Kevin. 

Great lead performances, stunningly made, and at times emotionally devastating.  It truly is a horror film in all ways. 

9/10.
claws
« Reply #97 on: October 12, 2012, 06:38:20 PM »

10/11/12 Filmcount: 13

Mortuary (1983) + Mausoleum (1983)

Mortuary: Girl is haunted by death of father, a creepy stalker and a killer. Sort-of Slasher with tons of red herrings. Though filmed in 1981 they still used typical '70s disco music in several scenes. 3.5/5

Mausoleum: Woman is possessed by an evil family curse. Over-the-top unintentional hilarity with gore, blood and nudity. Fun. 4.5/5
JoeTheDestroyer
Random Text Crapper
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #98 on: October 13, 2012, 12:50:49 AM »

Movie 22: Martin (1976)

Small | Large

Movie 23: Saw V (2008)

Small | Large

Movie 24: Undead

Small | Large

Movie 25: Lake Mungo (2008)

Small | Large

Not a bad mockumentary.  My only complaint is it isn't really scary.  Still and interesting watch, though.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2012, 11:14:21 AM by JoeTheDestroyer » Logged

Latest reader review:
Crossbow (Atari 2600)
Latest staff reviews:
BC Racers (32X)
Dying Light (PS4)
fulci420
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #99 on: October 13, 2012, 06:03:01 PM »

Film number 10
Night of the Living Dead 3D (2006)-I watched most of this a couple days ago. Pretty silly and redundant "remake" of the Romero classic adds some comedic elements that save it from being a complete bust. Little touches like a zombie texting "their coming to get you barbara" are chuckle worthy but there's not much special here. I didn't hate what I saw but with so many better zombie movies out there I cant see ever revisiting this one.

Next up is 1991's The Bone Yard which I probably wouldn't be watching if it wasn't for free on youtube. Looks pretty poor so far but I'll stick with it for a bit.
Small | Large

AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #100 on: October 13, 2012, 07:49:36 PM »

One Dark Night (1983) - Built on a standard teen horror premise: nice girl is dared to spend the night in a mausoleum by the mean girls she's trying to impress. In this case, the newest permanent resident of the place is a famous psychic with telekinetic powers and an ability to literally suck the life out of people. His estranged daughter, meanwhile, comes to believe he's only mostly dead, and wants to confront him. This upsets her stuffy husband, played by Adam West. Takes a while for this thing to get going, but eventually caskets are popping out of the walls and corpses are getting levitated around like rotting marionettes. Fun movie.
Small | Large

---------------------
"Join me in the abyss of savings."
Zapranoth
Eye of Sauron and

« Reply #101 on: October 13, 2012, 11:52:29 PM »

I can't spin the obscure ones the way you guys can, but as for my lightweight self, I stared long and hard at the blu-ray for The Thing (1982).  Gonna have to watch that one this month.  Maybe the first Howling, too.  :D
claws
« Reply #102 on: October 14, 2012, 12:12:13 AM »

10/12/12 Filmcount: 15

Pet Sematary (1989) + Intruder (1989)

Pet Sematary: Disturbing and shocking. Underrated, doesn't need to hide behind The Shining. 5/5

Intruder: Kind of goofy but lots of bloody fun. There's some really cool dialogue and I totally love the setting. 4/5
Pilgermann

« Reply #103 on: October 14, 2012, 01:32:34 AM »

Pet Sematary: Disturbing and shocking. Underrated, doesn't need to hide behind The Shining. 5/5

Pet Sematary is good fun and all but that comparison makes me feel sick inside.   TongueOut

I've failed at the one-a-day thing, but oh well:

Oct. 7: The Texas Chainsaw Massacre 2 (1986) - The original is about as perfect as horror gets, and this one is basically nothing like it, but it's so funky and bizarre that it's still excellent.  The big underground set that's featured later in the film is a thing of beauty, and so are Caroline Williams' legs!

Oct. 8: The Ward (2010) - This one gets a bad rap and it's nowhere near as good as Carpenter's best films, but I still enjoyed it.  Heck, I thought it was creepy and I squinted through a few scenes where I knew something was gonna happen.  Not a great finale but still worth a watch.

Oct. 9: Re-Animator (1985) - Yowza!  Really good, morbid take on Lovecraft.  For such disgusting stuff it's very well made and often funny.

Oct. 13 (although it was a midnight show, so sorta Oct. 14: Curse of the Demon (1957) - First time I've seen this one and I got to see it in a theater.  Really enjoyable and quirky horror.

JoeTheDestroyer
Random Text Crapper
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #104 on: October 14, 2012, 03:33:35 AM »

Movie 26: Frailty (2001)

Small | Large
« Last Edit: October 14, 2012, 03:50:09 AM by JoeTheDestroyer » Logged

Latest reader review:
Crossbow (Atari 2600)
Latest staff reviews:
BC Racers (32X)
Dying Light (PS4)
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 17
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Badmovies.org's 2012 Annual October Horror Movie Watching Thread « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.