Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 19, 2024, 06:27:31 AM
712927 Posts in 53040 Topics by 7722 Members
Latest Member: GenevaBarr
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  2016: Obama's America « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: 2016: Obama's America  (Read 9547 times)
indianasmith
Archeologist, Theologian, Elder Scrolls Addict, and a
B-Movie Kraken

A good bad movie is like popcorn for the soul!

« Reply #15 on: September 06, 2012, 05:44:43 PM »

You mean the "Rape of Nanking" Japanese army?
I guess you could call death a form of "liberation"!

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
bob
I survived Bucky Larson
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Torgo watches you masterbate!

« Reply #16 on: September 06, 2012, 06:00:18 PM »

Boy you guys just can't help your selves , can you.

Kubrick, Nolan, Tarantino, Wan, Iñárritu, Scorsese, Chaplin, Abrams, Wes Anderson, Gilliam, Kurosawa - the elite

I believe in the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.
Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

Either he's dead or my watch has stopped!

« Reply #17 on: September 06, 2012, 10:39:25 PM »

No don't be sorry.  I enjoy hearing what others think.  I have seen Michael Moore's films, and although I disagree with his support of the Republicrats every bit as much as I disagree with D'Sousa's, I have to say that I have never seen Michael Moore waste over half a film trying to prove what a politician is going to do to the country through a lame psychoanalysis of a father/son relationship and conjecture based on said analysis.  And the whole thing about Obama's "anti-colonialism" just strikes me as ridiculous.  I bet Romney is not in favor of colonialism either.  Using that logic, doesn't that make him dangerous too?   Are you in favor of colonialism?
My point has nothing to do with ANY of that.
My point was to complain about the comparison of an activist/entertainer to a scholar of very strong repute.  D'Sousa is known for intellectual honesty and scholarly objectivity.
NOTHING about Michael Moore is intellectually honest; the very premise of his body of work is to persuade.
Like D'Sousa's film (got it right that time) or not...I do not care.  Agree with him or not, I do not care.  But give him the respect he has freaking earned in a SERIOUS career spanning over 20 years.
Michael Moore...good grief.  THIS is exactly why I refuse to discuss climate models with people with less than a PhD in a physical science field.  We've arrived at a point in our society where entertainers (and corollaries) carry the same weight in intellectual discourse as learned experts.  That does not make D'Sousa "right" (I have not seen the film, so I don't know), but he's beyond head and shoulders more qualified to offer facts and opinions on the subject than Michael Moore.
I'll take the very existence of this conversation as further evidence for my thesis ...
You're an intellectual snob.   Wink Thumbup 

An interesting question.  I think you could make a cogent argument that in terms of overall quality of life for their citizens, some nations were better off under colonial rule than they have been under native rule since colonialism ended.  When a culture demonstrates an absolute incapacity for responsible self government (a la Haiti and Somalia), who is to say they wouldn't be better off under a nation like, say, Great Britain that has a long track record of effective governance?  At any rate, that is a purely academic debate.
You have an argument, but it's not cogent. 

I think that, from what I have heard in interviews, it is not so much the anti-colonialism but the direction it has taken the President in his political philosophy: that America is too big, too arrogant, and too powerful and needs to be "downsized" in order to make the world a safer place.  IF that is indeed the President's philosophy, I would find it disagreeable in the extreme.  But again, I am postulating from interviews and reviews I have heard and read, since I have not yet seen the film.
I don't know if that's his philosopy either, but we need big power, big military, big responsibility, and... small government? 

If you want to view paradise . . . simply look around and view it!
indianasmith
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #18 on: September 06, 2012, 10:41:49 PM »

EFFICIENT government.   And if government proves itself incapable of efficiency in a particular function, take into consideration that maybe someone else should be performing that function.

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #19 on: September 06, 2012, 10:48:00 PM »

EFFICIENT government.   And if government proves itself incapable of efficiency in a particular function, take into consideration that maybe someone else should be performing that function.
And you love "W". 

indianasmith
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #20 on: September 06, 2012, 11:50:54 PM »

He was handed a very tough situation from the get-go and did the best he could with it.  I admired his courage, his determination, and his basic goodness.  Doesn't mean he never made mistakes.

Raffine

« Reply #21 on: September 07, 2012, 12:08:47 AM »

He was handed a very tough situation from the get-go and did the best he could with it.  I admired his courage, his determination, and his basic goodness.  Doesn't mean he never made mistakes.

I makes my heart feel all hopey to see you supporting President Obama like this.

Twirling

If you're an Andy Milligan fan there's no hope for you.
lester1/2jr
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #22 on: September 07, 2012, 08:48:56 PM »

Our nation was formed in rebellion against colonial rule. There is nothing American about colonialism.
LilCerberus
A Very Bad Person, overweight bald guy with a missing tooth, and

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

« Reply #23 on: September 07, 2012, 11:13:47 PM »

Seen it.
It's okay if you don't have cable & watch a lot of PBS.

"Science Fiction & Nostalgia have become the same thing!" - T Bone Burnett
The world runs off money, even for those with a warped sense of what the world is.
Zarcal-TB
Dedicated Viewer

« Reply #24 on: September 10, 2012, 04:23:02 PM »

I don't know if that's his philosopy either, but we need big power, big military, big responsibility, and... small government? 

[/quote]

That is an exceptional question!
Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #25 on: September 10, 2012, 10:59:51 PM »

That is an exceptional question!
[/quote]
Your forum skills have not improved, Davewah.   Wink 
Small | Large

AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #26 on: September 11, 2012, 08:05:27 AM »

I makes my heart feel all hopey to see you supporting President Obama like this.

Twirling

Zing! TeddyR

---------------------
"Join me in the abyss of savings."
Jim H

« Reply #27 on: September 13, 2012, 11:16:55 PM »

No don't be sorry.  I enjoy hearing what others think.  I have seen Michael Moore's films, and although I disagree with his support of the Republicrats every bit as much as I disagree with D'Sousa's, I have to say that I have never seen Michael Moore waste over half a film trying to prove what a politician is going to do to the country through a lame psychoanalysis of a father/son relationship and conjecture based on said analysis.  And the whole thing about Obama's "anti-colonialism" just strikes me as ridiculous.  I bet Romney is not in favor of colonialism either.  Using that logic, doesn't that make him dangerous too?   Are you in favor of colonialism?

My point has nothing to do with ANY of that.

My point was to complain about the comparison of an activist/entertainer to a scholar of very strong repute.  D'Sousa is known for intellectual honesty and scholarly objectivity.

NOTHING about Michael Moore is intellectually honest; the very premise of his body of work is to persuade.

Like D'Sousa's film (got it right that time) or not...I do not care.  Agree with him or not, I do not care.  But give him the respect he has freaking earned in a SERIOUS career spanning over 20 years.

Michael Moore...good grief.  THIS is exactly why I refuse to discuss climate models with people with less than a PhD in a physical science field.  We've arrived at a point in our society where entertainers (and corollaries) carry the same weight in intellectual discourse as learned experts.  That does not make D'Sousa "right" (I have not seen the film, so I don't know), but he's beyond head and shoulders more qualified to offer facts and opinions on the subject than Michael Moore.

I'll take the very existence of this conversation as further evidence for my thesis ...

Regardless of what else you think of Moore, his films are effective at getting his point across.  If D'Sousa's film truly takes 3/4s of its runtime to get to the point, it's an ineffective one.  That's all ghoul was getting at. 
Pages: 1 [2]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  2016: Obama's America « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.