Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 19, 2024, 05:15:05 AM
712927 Posts in 53040 Topics by 7722 Members
Latest Member: GenevaBarr
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Baffling behaviors you witness often « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Author Topic: Baffling behaviors you witness often  (Read 13932 times)
Paquita
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #15 on: September 19, 2012, 06:14:32 PM »

I've always found it a little baffling when people get on an elevator and push a button that has already been pushed by someone else.

...or while they're waiting for an elevator, they tap the "up" or "down" button repeatedly. As if that's going to make it come any faster.

My mom is one of those people that pushes the "up" or "down" button until the elevator comes and always tells people to stop gawking and explains that it's in a queue and as long as she keeps pushing our "call" will stay on top.  She's not an elevator technician so this, I believe, is all in her head.  However, we just got an e-mail from Building Services at work today that our elevator "down" call buttons are malfunctioning and until they are fixed we should push the button continuously or hold it down until the elevator arrives.  My mom is thrilled about this.

One of my favorite baffling behaviors is when people take their grocery carts beyond the barrier line of the parking lot and then curse and kick the cart because it just stopped working, and then try other carts repeatedly and finally decide to drag the "broken" cart to the car.  This is especially funny when the person is right next to the notice sign that the cart wheel will lock beyond yellow line.

ChaosTheory

« Reply #16 on: September 20, 2012, 10:14:59 AM »

People who seem to have no idea how a  4-way stop works. They come to a complete stop then simply drive on through,even if other cars are coming. I've seen so many near accidents and several pretty bad ones because of this. Lookingup

Or they sit there and wave other people through who don't have the right of way, and generally cause more confusion and delay for everyone than if they'd just gone ahead. Want to be courteous? Then learn the rules and follow them consistently.

They usually look real p**sy about it too, like they're deigning to let you move while you're trying to follow the rules.  Sometimes I think I'm the only person in my town who paid attention to the 4-way part of the driver's license exam.  (and for pete's sake I took that test 16 years ago, it's not that hard to remember.)

When I was working as a cashier this would happen constantly: people would come up to the register on their phones, then hold up their hand at me (usually before I would even try to say anything) because their phone call is obviously more important than the checkout line.  Congratulations!  You're an a-hole both to the cashier and the people waiting in line behind you!

Through the darkness of future past
The magician longs to see
One chance opts between two worlds
Fire walk with me
JPickettIII
A BAD MOVIE IS A TERRIBLE THING TO WASTE!
Bad Movie Lover

HELP! WE ARE STUCK IN A GOOD MOVIE!!!

« Reply #17 on: September 20, 2012, 11:54:10 AM »

I see a LOT of people do this, and it's completely baffling to me.

Whenever they stop, they put their car in reverse.  I see this happen at stop signs, red lights, gas pumps, and even parking lots.  I've seen people start their car, set the parking brake, and put it in reverse while they load groceries in the trunk!

The only thing I can figure is that they think it's bad to let the car idle in drive. (???)  Even if that's the case, why don't they just put it in neutral?  Why reverse?

What examples can you all think of?

I have never seen this.  That would very dangerous.  What if the person had a momentary lapse of mental power and hit the gas?  I think that it would make more sense to put the car in Park rather than reverse.  But that is just my opinion.

Later,

John

\\\\\\\"Freedom is not free\"\\\\\\ or ///\"Where ever you go, there you are!\"///
JPickettIII
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #18 on: September 20, 2012, 11:55:33 AM »

I've always found it a little baffling when people get on an elevator and push a button that has already been pushed by someone else.

...or while they're waiting for an elevator, they tap the "up" or "down" button repeatedly. As if that's going to make it come any faster.

Both are very weird.   Question

\\\\\\\"Freedom is not free\"\\\\\\ or ///\"Where ever you go, there you are!\"///
JPickettIII
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #19 on: September 20, 2012, 11:59:54 AM »

Not sure if this could be counted as a behavior.  That thing that baffles me is when people drive a big vehicle and then try to park this vehicle in spot that God himself could not put the vehicle in.  So then the result is the rear or front of the vehicle is sticking out in the line of traffic or the person has the care too close to the lines (marking out the parking spot) and is very crooked in the space.  This is then making it hard for the other drivers to get in or out.

Must be a fear of Parking??  "Park-a-Phobia"

Later,

John

tracy
Inventor of the Turnip Twaddler and

« Reply #20 on: September 20, 2012, 12:32:24 PM »

People who seem to have no idea how a  4-way stop works. They come to a complete stop then simply drive on through,even if other cars are coming. I've seen so many near accidents and several pretty bad ones because of this. Lookingup

Or they sit there and wave other people through who don't have the right of way, and generally cause more confusion and delay for everyone than if they'd just gone ahead. Want to be courteous? Then learn the rules and follow them consistently.

When I was working as a cashier this would happen constantly: people would come up to the register on their phones, then hold up their hand at me (usually before I would even try to say anything) because their phone call is obviously more important than the checkout line.  Congratulations!  You're an a-hole both to the cashier and the people waiting in line behind you!

Good grief! I put up with this all the time! Yes,I'm a cashier and when they leave I feel like imitating Eeyore and mumbling,"Thanks for noticing me".

Also,folks that will drive up to the store after we're closed....they see most of the lights are off and they may even noticed the "closed" sign. But they still yank on the door anyway...arrgh! Hatred

Yes,I'm fine....as long as I don't look too closely.
Jim H

« Reply #21 on: September 21, 2012, 04:00:28 AM »

One of my favorites, as it is telling about basic human psychology, is when someone walks into an inanimate object and then gets angry at the object.  Animism is the default human religion it seems.
Mofo Rising
Global Moderator

My cat can eat a whole watermelon!

« Reply #22 on: September 21, 2012, 04:33:22 AM »

This is probably something next to nobody has to deal with, but I sign a lot of people up for library cards. It always confuses me when people who live in apartments will give their full street address and then not provide their apartment number. How do you expect mail to get to you? I'd say a full 80% of people do not provide their apartment number without further prompting.

Then there are the people who just have no idea of the address where they live. How do you walk around without even knowing where you live?

Every dead body that is not exterminated becomes one of them. It gets up and kills. The people it kills, get up and kill.
Trevor
Uncle Zombie and Eminent Shitologist
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #23 on: September 21, 2012, 04:45:02 AM »

And then, there's this nutcase South African who shudders at the thought of ever changing his undies......  Buggedout Wink

I know I can make it on my own if I try, but I'm searching for the Great Heart
To stand me by, underneath the African sky
A Great Heart to stand me by.
Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

Either he's dead or my watch has stopped!

« Reply #24 on: September 27, 2012, 11:08:01 PM »

People driving in traffic who JUST HAVE TO GET IN FRONT OF YOU.  Or, people who are driving in traffic and JUST HAVE TO MAKE A RIGHT TURN FROM THE FAR LEFT LANE.  Or people who DON'T YIELD WHEN MERGING IN TRAFFIC.  I see these everyday.  The message is: f**k you.  In fact, I've had the finger offered even when I did not slam on my brakes and lean on the horn! 

If you want to view paradise . . . simply look around and view it!
AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #25 on: September 28, 2012, 10:00:44 PM »

People driving in traffic who JUST HAVE TO GET IN FRONT OF YOU.  Or, people who are driving in traffic and JUST HAVE TO MAKE A RIGHT TURN FROM THE FAR LEFT LANE.  Or people who DON'T YIELD WHEN MERGING IN TRAFFIC.  I see these everyday.  The message is: f**k you.  In fact, I've had the finger offered even when I did not slam on my brakes and lean on the horn! 

I hate it when there is a lane closure and traffic has to merge. Nearly everybody sees the signs and manages to get over, but there's always one jackass who just has to get farther ahead, and he stays in his lane, passing everyone else until there's no opening for him to merge into. So the idiot ends up driving to the very end of the lane, and sits there with nowhere to go.

But that's not the baffling behaviour that I really hate. What annoys me even more is that somebody always lets him in. This a***ole has effectively thumbed his nose at everybody he's just passed, then just as he's faced with the natural consequence of his actions, some idiot gives him a pass. Great, instead of learning a lesson, he gets rewarded.

When somebody drives past a whole line of traffic and wants to merge in front of you, he's saying he's better than you and everybody behind you. If you let him in, you're telling him he's right.

---------------------
"Join me in the abyss of savings."
Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

Either he's dead or my watch has stopped!

« Reply #26 on: September 28, 2012, 10:15:59 PM »

I hate it when there is a lane closure and traffic has to merge. Nearly everybody sees the signs and manages to get over, but there's always one jackass who just has to get farther ahead, and he stays in his lane, passing everyone else until there's no opening for him to merge into. So the idiot ends up driving to the very end of the lane, and sits there with nowhere to go.
But that's not the baffling behaviour that I really hate. What annoys me even more is that somebody always lets him in. This a***ole has effectively thumbed his nose at everybody he's just passed, then just as he's faced with the natural consequence of his actions, some idiot gives him a pass. Great, instead of learning a lesson, he gets rewarded.
When somebody drives past a whole line of traffic and wants to merge in front of you, he's saying he's better than you and everybody behind you. If you let him in, you're telling him he's right.
Ah, you commute!  Been there, done that.   Bluesad  It's not that things are greater, by far.  But, I'm fortunate to no longer have to drive 80 miles one way just to get to work...  Lookingup  I live in NJ and remember how crazy commuting got, but, I'd likely be the a***ole who'd let King a***ole in!!!   Bluesad   
But... when more often I'd see that some other a***ole let 'im in, I'd curse the a***ole !!!    ... BounceGiggle

If you want to view paradise . . . simply look around and view it!
ulthar

I AM serious, and stop calling me Shirley

« Reply #27 on: September 29, 2012, 01:06:30 AM »

People driving in traffic who JUST HAVE TO GET IN FRONT OF YOU. 

This happens to me quite frequently.  I often tow trailers of various sorts and sizes.  There is something about vehicle "size" that seems to make people REALLY want to get in front of you...my wife says she thinks it is because they cannot see around the larger vehicle.

There have been cases where I was going the flow of traffic, no slower than the traffic in front of me and following a safe distance (which is longer than "normal" when towing)...I mean a REAL safe distance not that "I can't see your headlights because you are following so close" following distance, and some yahoo behind me will fight traffic to pass, only to find that there is nowhere to pull in unless I, the one towing the extra several thousand pounds, slam on the brakes to give him space.

If people only stopped to think for 5 measly seconds before acting on the highways, the roads would be 10000% safer overnight.

Corollary: The folks that dog it in traffic to be the first one at the red light.  I am totally baffled why so many people are in such a rush to have to stop and wait.

When I see the light ahead of me is red, I start slowing down; very often, I don't even have to stop.  Believe it or not, this can save a BUNCH of gasoline, but that's a separate point.  In this case, I pretty much almost always get in front of them again  (they have to accelerate from a dead stop, I'm already going 20-30 mph), then they speed past only to repeat the entire process.

Hurry up and wait, maneuvering a 4000 lb projectile and with no regard for the well being or lives of those around you....what a way to live is that?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Professor Hathaway:  I noticed you stopped stuttering.
Bodie:      I've been giving myself shock treatments.
Professor Hathaway: Up the voltage.

--Real Genius
AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #28 on: September 29, 2012, 05:53:15 AM »

Here's one I haven't seen for a while, but only because I haven't been in the situation. I'm sure it still goes on.

There were quite a few years, mostly when I was in my 20s, when several Saturday nights every summer were spent at a stag and doe. Don't know how widespread the term is, but for those who might not know it, a stag and doe is a fundraising dance for an engaged couple. Lots of booze, food, a DJ and draws. The draws used to get kind of baffling.

Somebody would always come around to the table selling tickets. Usually, there was a price for one ticket and a reduced price for more. The most popular deal was a strip of tickets as long as your arm. This was so popular, virtually no one was buying just one ticket, and it became customary to just sell tickets by the arm's length.

Why bother? If everybody buys a strip of tickets, the odds are the same as if everybody bought just one. Unless your arm is exceptionally long, there's no advantage. I'd point that out to people, and the response varied quite a bit. Some understood right away, but there would always be somebody who would argue.

"Of course I have a better chance. I've got an arm's length of tickets. I have that many chances to win"

"But so does everybody else. Everyone might as well have bought one ticket, and they'd have had the same chance of winning."

"No, then they'd only have one chance. I've got all these."

Seriously, how hard is it to understand that one shot in 500 is the same as ten in 5,000?

---------------------
"Join me in the abyss of savings."
tracy
Inventor of the Turnip Twaddler and

« Reply #29 on: September 29, 2012, 11:44:59 AM »

Not sure if this could be counted as a behavior.  That thing that baffles me is when people drive a big vehicle and then try to park this vehicle in spot that God himself could not put the vehicle in.  So then the result is the rear or front of the vehicle is sticking out in the line of traffic or the person has the care too close to the lines (marking out the parking spot) and is very crooked in the space.  This is then making it hard for the other drivers to get in or out.

Must be a fear of Parking??  "Park-a-Phobia"

Later,

John

This reminded me of one of my major pet peeves in parking....parking your vehicle longways so you take up two or three  spaces. Out near the back of a Wal Mart parkinglot I can sort of see this but it's usually in a smaller one where there's only a few spaces. Grrrrr!

Yes,I'm fine....as long as I don't look too closely.
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Baffling behaviors you witness often « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.