Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 19, 2024, 03:54:09 AM
712925 Posts in 53040 Topics by 7722 Members
Latest Member: GenevaBarr
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Entertainment  |  After 38 Seasons Should SNL stick a Fork in it? « previous next »
Poll
Question: Should SNL continue or just go away?
Yes, the show sucks now! - 10 (58.8%)
No, it's still relevant. - 0 (0%)
It should be revamped. - 2 (11.8%)
I stopped watching after Chevy left. - 4 (23.5%)
It's on way passed my bedtime. - 1 (5.9%)
Total Voters: 16

Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: After 38 Seasons Should SNL stick a Fork in it?  (Read 23904 times)
66Crush
« on: September 17, 2012, 05:32:56 AM »

In my opinion Saturday Night Live is neither funny nor relevant anymore, and hasn't been in years. When SNL first aired it was new and cutting edge. Some of the greatest comedians of all time started there. The list of SNL's alumni reads like a who's who of comedy for the 20th century. I was once a huge fan. But after seeing the state of TV today and seeing one crap show too many succeed, while anything any good usually gets the proverbial axe. I've decided that I think it's time this show was cancelled. The problem is Saturday Night live has created a dangerous formula for TV. One that continues to this day with shows like American Idol. It has become a taste maker. Just as American Idol has made Americans complacent and lazy about it's music choices, SNL has done the same with comedy. Today's comedy is lazy and geared for people with short (if any) attention spans. So what do you think? Am I way off base? Or do you agree? Vote now. Let's get some democracy for TV!
« Last Edit: September 17, 2012, 05:36:55 AM by 66Crush » Logged
Jack
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2012, 07:01:44 AM »

I haven't even watched it since way back in the Chevy Chase days.  Seems like it's just people acting loud and obnoxious and we're supposed to find that hilarious.

The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion.

- Paulo Coelho
AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2012, 07:17:02 AM »

I haven't paid much attention to SNL since about the early 90s. I thought the original cast was great, and the show stayed more or less excellent through the 80s. By the mid-90s, I thought the cast was kind of lacklustre and they were just beating the old formula to death. The show was no longer fresh or innovative, or even unique. There were other edgy sketch comedy shows around, and in the late 90s MADtv was much better. SNL, much like the later seasons of The Simpsons, just seemed to keep riding along on the momentum it built up in earlier years.

I think SNL probably wouldn't have lasted this long, except that it bounced back a bit at the end of the 90s, before resuming its downhill slide a few years later. At this point, I have to be reminded it is still going. It's just become that irrelevant to me. It shares that in common with The Simpsons as well.

---------------------
"Join me in the abyss of savings."
66Crush
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2012, 08:06:04 AM »

Was there even a final episode for The Simpsons? I don't remember seeing anything about it. Last season was the end, right? Or is it still on?
FatFreddysCat
Movies, Metal, Beer!
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2012, 10:21:56 AM »

Was there even a final episode for The Simpsons? I don't remember seeing anything about it. Last season was the end, right? Or is it still on?

Simpsons is still goin'... their new season starts @ the end of the month. Fox threatened to end it last year cuz they got into a salary dispute with the voice acting cast (which happens every couple of years) but eventually it was worked out. I think it's contracted through the end of the 2013-2014 season now, last I checked.

As for SNL, the last time I tuned it in, Nirvana was the musical guest... and that guy's been dead for how many years now?   TeddyR

Hey, HEY, kids! Check out my way-cool Music and Movie Review blog on HubPages!
http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Andrew
Administrator

I know where my towel is.

« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2012, 11:09:29 AM »

Katie still watches it at times, but I cannot say that it interests me any more.  I liked the older episodes with what many consider the cast during its heyday.  However, the "More Cowbell" episode is still one of the funniest things I've ever seen on television and it appeared during a period when I did not watch the show very often either.

Andrew Borntreger
Badmovies.org
voltron

« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2012, 11:19:28 AM »

I voted "yes". I couldn't bring myself to watch it for, at least, the past 10 years. I wholeheartedly agree with the Simpsons comments as well. If I do chose to watch either, it's repeats all the way.

"Nothin' out there but God's little creatures - more scared of you than you are of them"  - Warren, "Just Before Dawn"
tracy
Inventor of the Turnip Twaddler and

« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2012, 02:48:20 PM »

"Yes,the show sucks now" pretty much covers it for me. I watched it until Mike Meyers left then it lost what bits of funny it still had. I still prefer the original cast best....they were fresh and hilarious.

As for the Simpsons..... Thumbdown
« Last Edit: September 17, 2012, 02:50:27 PM by tracy » Logged

Yes,I'm fine....as long as I don't look too closely.
HappyGilmore
B-Movie Kraken

I know Quack-Fu.

« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2012, 07:54:22 PM »

I can't vote via phone. However, it had a good couple of years recently. Notably for their 'Digital Shorts' by the Lonely Island crew.

It has hit-and-miss seasons. First few were great, had a down run in the early-mid '80s. I became a fan around the '87-'94 cast: Sandler, Miller, Farley, Spade, Rock, Schneider, etc.

Down run, good again, etc.

Even one episode can go from a great opening sketch and just end poorly.

"The path to Heaven runs through miles of clouded Hell."

Don’t get too close, it’s dark inside.
It’s where my demons hide, it’s where my demons hide.
66Crush
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2012, 11:48:15 PM »

If The Simpsons would go away now, they could come back in 10 years when the nostalgia has built up and be really good again. But SNL is such a dead horse in comedy, that nobody's really gonna miss it. I think the only reason NBC keeps it around is because it's just a promotion vehicle for whatever movie the host is in and a showcase for whatever musical guest is being hyped that week.
alandhopewell
A NorthCoaster In Texas

Hey....white women were in season.

« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2012, 01:54:17 PM »

Actually, I stopped watching it after the last original cast member left, but there was no choice for that.

If it's true what they say, that GOD created us in His image, then why should we not love creating, and why should we not continue to do so, as carefully and ethically as we can, on whatever scale we're capable of?

The choice is simple; refuse to create, and refuse to grow, or build, with care and love.
The Burgomaster
Aggravating People Worldwide Since 1964

« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2012, 03:07:52 PM »

I was an avid watcher of the show for 3 - 4 years (back in the early years).  I don't think I could name a single cast member now.

"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone."
tracy
Inventor of the Turnip Twaddler and

« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2012, 12:14:18 PM »

I was an avid watcher of the show for 3 - 4 years (back in the early years).  I don't think I could name a single cast member now.

I know I sure couldn't. Wink

Yes,I'm fine....as long as I don't look too closely.
akiratubo

« Reply #13 on: September 26, 2012, 05:51:11 PM »

It's sucked since sometime in the 90s.

Kneel before Dr. Hell, the ruler of this world!
ChaosTheory

« Reply #14 on: September 28, 2012, 10:19:32 AM »

I haven't watched since they axed Norm McDonald; to be fair I think quality-wise SNL tends to go in cycles (remember the 1980 season?  The Robert Downey Jr - Joan Cusack - Anthony Michael Hall season?  Yeah neither does anyone else.)  It may just be time to clean house again.

Through the darkness of future past
The magician longs to see
One chance opts between two worlds
Fire walk with me
Pages: [1] 2
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Entertainment  |  After 38 Seasons Should SNL stick a Fork in it? « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.