Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 18, 2024, 10:47:04 PM
712920 Posts in 53040 Topics by 7722 Members
Latest Member: GenevaBarr
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  REMOVAL (2010) « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: REMOVAL (2010)  (Read 1589 times)
ulthar
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

I AM serious, and stop calling me Shirley

« on: February 06, 2013, 10:47:22 PM »

Interesting.  Only 1 pro critic review on Rotten Tomatoes so no critic score given (the one was "fresh").  But...IMDB and RT audience reviews were less than 50%.

So, another movie with perhaps technical flaws (one person criticized the acting) that I quite enjoyed.

REMOVAL (2010) follows the story of Cole, a man with a mental condition that gives him hallucinations, as he works a second shift (at night) in his menial floor cleaning job. 

Some Backstory: Cole's condition was worsened after witnessing the suicide of a friend (who had also just killed his family), which led to his voluntary commitment.  Following his release, against the advice of his doctors, his wife requested separation.  The main story picks up 1 year after these events.

Cole is tasked with cleaning the very large mansion of a rich, arrogant dude used to getting his way.  Throughout the second act, we are led down the path of Cole believing Henry killed his wife, but we wonder what is 'real' and what is Cole's hallucination.

With the kind of twists M. Night Shyamalan wishes he could write, REMOVAL is engaging to the very last frame.

The story unfolds crisply with solid pacing to fit sufficient "thriller" genre plot elements into the 91 minute running time.  It's never "slow" for more than a very short sequence, and those only to show Cole's "tedium" and "fatigue." 

The acting, as mentioned above, gives some viewers pause.  I guess this is one of those things that mostly separates badmovies.org members from 'mainstream' movie audiences....details like this don't HAVE to take away from the enjoyment of a movie.  The rich dude Henry is played by screenplay co-writer Oz Perkins, and another co-writer is director Nick Simon, so this is one of "those" films. 

Interestingly, Cole's friend that commits the murder-suicide at the beginning, is played by Billy Burke, Bella's Dad from the "beloved" TWILIGHT movies.  Cole is played by Mark Kelly (who has numerous TV and a handful of movie credits).  Anya from "Buffy the Vampire Slayer," Emma Caulfield, is also a recognizable name and Elliot Gould plays a bit part as one of Cole's doctors.   

The strength of REMOVAL is not the acting, visual fx or production "flashiness," but rather a simple story that is engaging and fulfills the role of "thriller."  It's low budget film making at a high level achieved by a very solid screenplay that is very tight in what it wants to do.  Most of the movie plays out in a single night, there are no subplots to distract and Cole's arc is very obviously the focus of this 91 minutes. 

I wish more "mainstream" movies were this focused.

I go 3.5+ out of 5 on this one.  It's not QUITE to the level of 'great' that 4 requires, but a regular 3.5 seems a bit low.  Since I cannot give fractional stars on Netflix, though, I will give it 4 stars there.

I recommend REMOVAL for low budget fans that want a story driven "thriller" made outside the boring hollyweird mold.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Professor Hathaway:  I noticed you stopped stuttering.
Bodie:      I've been giving myself shock treatments.
Professor Hathaway: Up the voltage.

--Real Genius
zombie no.one
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Oookaay...

« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2013, 11:25:38 PM »

Thanks ill look out for it.  Thumbup

The Mandela Effect is a Mandela Effect
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  REMOVAL (2010) « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.