Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 19, 2024, 02:00:08 AM
712922 Posts in 53040 Topics by 7722 Members
Latest Member: GenevaBarr
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Television  |  If you could cancel one show, what would it be and why? « previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Author Topic: If you could cancel one show, what would it be and why?  (Read 41265 times)
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« Reply #30 on: September 27, 2012, 06:10:48 PM »

If I could fecal container one show it'd  be "the big bang theory". It's just 'Amos n Andy"  done to politically correct standards.

I wouldn't cancel the show but I don't understand it's appeal, or why people seem to think it's original just because the characters are geeks. They're still going through the same old worn-out sitcom routines.

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
JaseSF
Super Space Age Freaky Geek
B-Movie Kraken

Soon, your brain will turn to jelly.

« Reply #31 on: September 27, 2012, 07:49:22 PM »

Personally love Big Bang Theory. The stuff with Wil Wheaton was particularly hilarious. But hey, to each their own. Still I weep for humanity at the apparent fact Here Comes Honey Boo Boo appears to be a hit.

"This above all: To thine own self be true!"
AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #32 on: September 27, 2012, 10:46:10 PM »

Still I weep for humanity at the apparent fact Here Comes Honey Boo Boo appears to be a hit.

It's the modern-day equivalent of exhibiting human oddities. People have always lined up for a freakshow.

---------------------
"Join me in the abyss of savings."
ChaosTheory
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #33 on: September 28, 2012, 10:24:42 AM »

If I could fecal container one show it'd  be "the big bang theory". It's just 'Amos n Andy"  done to politically correct standards.

I wouldn't cancel the show but I don't understand it's appeal, or why people seem to think it's original just because the characters are geeks. They're still going through the same old worn-out sitcom routines.

Watch an episode of THE NEW NORMAL sometime (or actually watch 30 seconds because nobody should be subjected to a whole episode); it makes BBT look like season four of THE SIMPSONS.

Through the darkness of future past
The magician longs to see
One chance opts between two worlds
Fire walk with me
ulthar

I AM serious, and stop calling me Shirley

« Reply #34 on: September 28, 2012, 11:03:18 AM »

Ah, "Big Bang Theory," perhaps one of the more 'controversial" shows discussed on this site.  Seems most folks either enjoy it or really, really hate it.

Short Answer:

The appeal is simple.  You either like/enjoy the comedy or you don't.  There is a TON of inside "geek" humor on that show that underlies the worn-out sitcom routines.  JaseSF mentioned one...the Wil Wheaton stuff.  There are many examples.  If, as an example, you don't understand the "inside" reasons why the Wil Wheaton storyline is funny, you won't like the show.

Longer Answer:

I can see that the show probably mostly appeals to folks that have lived something of that life...we've had other "social outcast" shows before, but few (if any) really showcase the "smart, nerdy socially inept outcast" as a group, not just one character thrown in for color.  

As such, there is, as I mentioned, a heap-TON of inside humor.  The writers of BBT really know science geeks (or are such geeks) rather than just writing to pander to some stereotype of a geek that a friend told them about.

I've hung-out and worked in that environment with "that" group.  Shoot, my own personality has component mixtures of Sheldon and Leonard (probably more than I care to admit), so the show is a way to laugh at myself.

There's a TON of realism there, too, in how they live day-to-day lives (their lifestyle is one of constantly chasing new mental stimulations - different games, different hobbies, etc - while at the same time being totally OCD about what they do.  For the time they are "hooked" on a hobby, they are TOTALLY hooked on it to the point of obsession).

The characters are not always heroic; they are very flawed.  Each show does not have a life lesson "preachiness" to it.  It's just a collection of stories about a group of people, sometimes they grow and learn and become "better," sometimes they don't.  Kinda like what really happens...we don't always learn from the lessons life teaches us.  They are not 'evil' like some show's characters seem to strive to be; just human.

That said, I'd have to say that Leonard is my favorite character; not always as funny as the others, but by far the most "realistic."  Sheldon is a bit of a caricature and is often "over written," but he's still pretty funny.

Finally, it's very male-centric within its genre.  There are not a LOT of "female good, male bad," plot points and there are not a lot of female centric storylines period.  Given what else is available, it's kind of refreshing in this respect.  It's a show about a bunch of socially inept guy friends, mostly doing (or wanting to do) guy stuff (at least as they perceive that)...and since this has to involve women, it butts these guy drives against their social ineptitude.

That, anyway, is why it appeals to ME.  Can't speak for anyone else.

As a contrast, I absolutely HATED everything about "Will and Grace."  Please tell me the appeal that show had, why it stayed on so long.  I saw nothing remotely funny about any of it...just a bunch of stereotyped and very unlikable characters.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2012, 11:06:23 AM by ulthar » Logged

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Professor Hathaway:  I noticed you stopped stuttering.
Bodie:      I've been giving myself shock treatments.
Professor Hathaway: Up the voltage.

--Real Genius
Newt
Mostly Harmless. Mostly.

I want to be Ripley when I grow up.

« Reply #35 on: September 29, 2012, 07:46:24 AM »

I think ulthar has pegged it.  I've spent a lot of time the last 30+ years in the company of computer- and science-geeks;  we find BBT very funny.   Thumbup

"May I offer you a Peek Frean?" - Walter Bishop
"Thank you for appreciating my descent into deviant behavior, Mr. Reese." - Harold Finch
tracy
Inventor of the Turnip Twaddler and

« Reply #36 on: September 29, 2012, 11:35:11 AM »

I think ulthar has pegged it.  I've spent a lot of time the last 30+ years in the company of computer- and science-geeks;  we find BBT very funny.   Thumbup

I think I've been a "geek" many times in my life and enjoyed things considered geeky....comic books,D&D,Star Trek and Star Wars. "Big Bang Theory" to me is very funny. Wink

Yes,I'm fine....as long as I don't look too closely.
alandhopewell
A NorthCoaster In Texas

Hey....white women were in season.

« Reply #37 on: September 29, 2012, 12:13:32 PM »

Besides, there has never before been on tv anyone even remotely like Sheldon Cooper.

If it's true what they say, that GOD created us in His image, then why should we not love creating, and why should we not continue to do so, as carefully and ethically as we can, on whatever scale we're capable of?

The choice is simple; refuse to create, and refuse to grow, or build, with care and love.
Swordmaster1982
Dedicated Viewer

« Reply #38 on: September 29, 2012, 10:02:36 PM »

I agree on Honey BooBoo as thats awful.I hate 95% of reality tv as its not real anyway.
ChaosTheory

« Reply #39 on: September 30, 2012, 01:46:39 PM »

Besides, there has never before been on tv anyone even remotely like Sheldon Cooper.

I can take or leave BBT but I am a fan of Sheldon  Smile

I know several have chimed in on this but yeah, HONEY BOOBOO is genuinely evil.

Through the darkness of future past
The magician longs to see
One chance opts between two worlds
Fire walk with me
BoyScoutKevin

« Reply #40 on: September 30, 2012, 04:34:23 PM »

Don't cancel "Star Search."

It is interesting to see people who are now famous or semi-famous, looked 10 and 20 years ago, when they appeared on "Star Search." And here are some of them, not all of them winners, who appeared on various categories of "Star Search," before they were famous or semi-famous.

aailyah -- aaron and nick carter -- alanis morissette -- alisan porter -- autumn barr -- backstreet boys -- beyonce -- bobbie brown -- britney spears -- christina aguilera -- christopher reyes -- countess vaughn -- david archuleta -- david chappell -- debbie james -- dorian hughes -- drew carey -- eric tidwell -- jarrod spector -- justin timberlake -- kevin james -- kim field -- leann rimes -- martin lawrence -- norm mcdonald -- rosie o'donnell -- tatyana ali -- usher.

And as I failed to mention in my previous post, Sinbad, who beat Dennis Miller in the comedy competition, made it all the way to the finals. Which means if Dennis Miller had gotten just two more audience votes, when he lost to Sinbad, Miller would have been in the finals instead of Sinbad.
lester1/2jr
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #41 on: October 06, 2012, 08:34:39 PM »

Law ad Order:SVU has been doing cheesy "ripped from the headlines" episodes for what seems like a hundred years. is rape really so fascinating that people will watch these absurd scenerios and Ice T's lame acting?
« Last Edit: October 07, 2012, 08:57:15 AM by lester1/2jr » Logged
Living_Dead_Girl
Bad Movie Lover

Excuse me. You need to go back to grad school.

« Reply #42 on: October 07, 2012, 07:29:50 AM »

Family Guy/Cleveland Show/American Dad...essentially anything by Seth MacFarlane.

Same show, same crew, same jokes, if you can call them that, and no real value

I agree with all except one... I love American dad, it is strange I hate Family guy and the Cleveland show with a passion. American dad is more out there, and has that sci-fi element to it. The other two are low brow, and stupid. gaaaaa

Then I did not just look into the mirror, I looked through the mirror...
A_Dubya
Bad Movie Lover

I'm no hero, never was. I'm just an old killer.

« Reply #43 on: December 22, 2012, 02:41:07 AM »

I don't watch much tv at all aside from sports really, but I'd be all for the canceling of all these talent/singing contest shows. I just feel they are over saturated.

This space free, since Photobucket is on dust.

PSN ID: A_Dubya13
El Misfit
[Insert witty here]
B-Movie Kraken

Hi there!

« Reply #44 on: December 22, 2012, 01:28:04 PM »

Number one reason why I hate BBT, the laughter that goes on through the show, it really irritates me, as if to point out to the stupid viewers ''Here, laugh at this NOW!!" I hate shows that does this, for reason I just said.

yeah no.
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Television  |  If you could cancel one show, what would it be and why? « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.