Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 19, 2024, 02:59:35 AM
712924 Posts in 53040 Topics by 7722 Members
Latest Member: GenevaBarr
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  When things go wrong in movies. « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: When things go wrong in movies.  (Read 6092 times)
daveblackeye15
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« on: December 30, 2004, 01:08:01 AM »

(wow it's been like a month since I've made a topic anyway..)

Don't you love it in movies when the creators have something planned and then the machine that is CRUCIAL to that scene or movie is broken or is mysteriously misplace or something like that so the director comes up with a new crappy plan and it's funny as hell.

Two examples of this are the revealing of the alien in "It Conquered the World" I heard that originaly the alien was suppose to stay in the dark cave but then the lighting machine broke and they had to bring that ridicouls monster out in FULL daylight for the world to laugh at. I guess another would be the reason why the monster looks like a pickle is because the people making the film thought it was stupid how one of the actrisses was terrified of the monster even though she towered over it so they hadded the big head thing on it to make look taller but it's still not very menacing (and it's funny as hell)

And I believe this is true but the reason why there is so much narratation in "The Creeping Terror" is because a sound machine didn't work so well for the actors so they had this guy explain everything. I hope that narrator got first billing cuz he did all the speaking work.

It's stuff like this that makes me go "man it was like.....destiny for that certain thing to break....dude."

More examples.

Now it's time to sing the nation anthem IN AMERICA!!!

Bandit Keith from Yu-Gi-Oh the Abridged Series (episode 12)
Ozzymandias
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2004, 01:20:02 AM »

I have the Prisoner box set. The Watcher (or whatever it was called) was a dune buggy with a round cover and police light on top. One of the directors said it looked like a cupcake. Apparently they drove it into the water and lost it.

They replaced it with weather balloons which were cheaper, plentiful and spooky (compared to the little cupcake car).
Joe
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2005, 07:05:33 PM »

You don't know the half of it, re: "It Conquered the World". Apparently, according to the book on Paul Blaisdell (Paul Blaisdell: Monster Maker, by Randy Palmer) That critter was supposed to just sit on a rock shelf inside the cave, and kill the heroine there. The lighting didn't break down, it's just that Rodger Corman, the producer and director, felt that he had spent good money on that prop, and by god, people were going to see it on screen! Not only that, but the claw arms were broken when someone backed a jeep over them a half an hour before the shoot. Plus, one of the actors dressed as one of the "Army Guys" was supposed to plunge a bayonet into the suit. Paul, who was operating the monster he built, was game to try it, but his wife made him wear a helmet. Sure enough, the actor ran up, stabbed the monster, and everyone heard a sharp metallic "CLANG!" as the blade bounced off the helmet... he'd almost been stabbed in the head!

In "The Creeping Terror" the soundtrack was simply lost. So, to save the film, they had to re-dub the entire movie. The few scenes of people talking in synch, were actually done via the "Milli Vanilli" method.
Fearless Freep

« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2005, 07:12:13 PM »

Roger Corman, the producer and director, felt that he had spent good money on that prop

Gotta be an urban myth...Roger Corman doesn't spend money

=======================
Going places unmapped, to do things unplanned, to people unsuspecting
daveblackeye15

« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2005, 09:34:06 PM »

I guess I didn't, I remember the scene when the solider stabbed the monster, I wonder if the blade broke off in that take or was that an earlier take.

Now it's time to sing the nation anthem IN AMERICA!!!

Bandit Keith from Yu-Gi-Oh the Abridged Series (episode 12)
Bargle5
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2005, 11:20:51 PM »

I read an interview somewhere with Beverly Garland that originally the monster was going to be some low to the ground kind of thing and Bev complained and said nobody would believe that could take over the world so they changed the design to the giant pickle we all know and love.

Frogs with their endless croaking, croaking, croaking in the night.
saintmort
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2005, 12:13:32 AM »

sometimes it goes right...Jaws is the classic example. I believe they wanted the shark to be shown right away but it's much better with the 90 minutes of no shark.
alandhopewell
A NorthCoaster In Texas

Hey....white women were in season.

« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2012, 01:51:33 PM »

The classic example of this has to be the "sunset squid" sequence in 20,000 LEAGUES UNDER THE SEA. It looked terrible, and Uncle Walt ordered the entire thihg scrapped, and re-shot.

Small | Large

Here's the finished product....

Small | Large
« Last Edit: November 10, 2012, 01:55:20 PM by alandhopewell » Logged

If it's true what they say, that GOD created us in His image, then why should we not love creating, and why should we not continue to do so, as carefully and ethically as we can, on whatever scale we're capable of?

The choice is simple; refuse to create, and refuse to grow, or build, with care and love.
Chainsawmidget
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2012, 02:55:13 PM »

The Jaws shark never quite worked right, so they avoided showing it as much as possible.  It actually made the movie work better that way. 
Living_Dead_Girl
Bad Movie Lover

Excuse me. You need to go back to grad school.

« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2012, 06:50:12 AM »

Sometimes it is best not to show the monster at all... I do not say tha exclusivly for cheaply made looking monsters, But human being being the sick minded phychotic primates we are will fill in the blanks in our minds, we do not see a violent scene we imagine it as more grusome. This is what a lot off film makers do regardless hence why a lot off people loose sleep over thier films, A lot off these films do not even have mild gore in them. These films however go down in history for being a guilty pleasure for folks like us here on the bad movies forum.

Then I did not just look into the mirror, I looked through the mirror...
bob
I survived Bucky Larson

Torgo watches you masterbate!

« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2012, 11:15:40 PM »

I'm surprised no one mentioned the Bride of the Monster octopus yet.

Kubrick, Nolan, Tarantino, Wan, Iñárritu, Scorsese, Chaplin, Abrams, Wes Anderson, Gilliam, Kurosawa - the elite

I believe in the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.
Chainsawmidget
« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2012, 12:44:11 PM »

Roger Corman, the producer and director, felt that he had spent good money on that prop

Gotta be an urban myth...Roger Corman doesn't spend money

Keep in mind, this is what Roger Corman felt was a good deal of money.  What he feels is a good deal of money other directors might find in their couch cushions. 

I'm surprised no one mentioned the Bride of the Monster octopus yet.
That's Ed Wood.  It would be quicker and easier to point out things that went right in an Ed Wood movie. 
AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2012, 02:13:42 PM »

You don't know the half of it, re: "It Conquered the World". Apparently, according to the book on Paul Blaisdell (Paul Blaisdell: Monster Maker, by Randy Palmer) That critter was supposed to just sit on a rock shelf inside the cave, and kill the heroine there. The lighting didn't break down, it's just that Rodger Corman, the producer and director, felt that he had spent good money on that prop, and by god, people were going to see it on screen! Not only that, but the claw arms were broken when someone backed a jeep over them a half an hour before the shoot. Plus, one of the actors dressed as one of the "Army Guys" was supposed to plunge a bayonet into the suit. Paul, who was operating the monster he built, was game to try it, but his wife made him wear a helmet. Sure enough, the actor ran up, stabbed the monster, and everyone heard a sharp metallic "CLANG!" as the blade bounced off the helmet... he'd almost been stabbed in the head!

I'd read that Lee Van Cleef was really determined to destroy that thing with the blowtorch.

---------------------
"Join me in the abyss of savings."
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  When things go wrong in movies. « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.