Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 05:37:29 PM
714493 Posts in 53097 Topics by 7744 Members
Latest Member: MichelFran
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Hostess goes Bankrupt!!!!! « previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5
Author Topic: Hostess goes Bankrupt!!!!!  (Read 22669 times)
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« Reply #45 on: November 21, 2012, 10:39:51 AM »

Damn: I never once got the chance to taste a Twinkie.

You're not missing much. They're only slightly more appealing than your undies, and likely less nutritious.

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
ulthar
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

I AM serious, and stop calling me Shirley

« Reply #46 on: November 21, 2012, 11:43:04 AM »

Wasn't a lot of the slime effect in THE THING (and other movies of that era) done with one of the ingredients of Twinkies?  I may be remembering wrong, but I think that's what Carpenter/Bottin said on the commentary...that stuff is used for the slimy, oozie stuff.

Maybe in ALIEN, too?

That's more of a claim to fame for Twinkies to me.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Professor Hathaway:  I noticed you stopped stuttering.
Bodie:      I've been giving myself shock treatments.
Professor Hathaway: Up the voltage.

--Real Genius
FatFreddysCat
Movies, Metal, Beer!

« Reply #47 on: November 21, 2012, 01:42:30 PM »

Oddly enough, just as all this Twinkie brou-ha-ha was blowing up, I happened to catch a pretty funny Twinkie reference in the otherwise terrible movie "Ghost Rider: Spirit of Vengeance." The bad guy, who I believe is named "Carrion," has the power to make things die and decay just by touching them. At one point he's pursuing Ghost Rider in a stolen truck and he notices a lunch box sitting on the passenger's seat. He takes a sandwich out of it, and it instantly crumbles to dust in his hand. He picks up an apple - same thing. Finally he grabs a Twinkie out of the box... and nothing happens to it. Haha. He actually sat there for a second or two as if he were waitin' for it to crumble and when it didn't he shrugged like "cool" and popped it into his mouth.  TeddyR

Hey, HEY, kids! Check out my way-cool Music and Movie Review blog on HubPages!
http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
bob
I survived Bucky Larson

Torgo watches you masterbate!

« Reply #48 on: November 21, 2012, 08:04:09 PM »

You missed nothing. They're plain tasting nothingness.

Kubrick, Nolan, Tarantino, Wan, Iñárritu, Scorsese, Chaplin, Abrams, Wes Anderson, Gilliam, Kurosawa - the elite

I believe in the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.
Newt
Mostly Harmless. Mostly.

I want to be Ripley when I grow up.

« Reply #49 on: November 23, 2012, 08:21:30 AM »

I was about to rush out to send you some - when I saw a news report that confirmed that Hostess Canada will not be affected.  So they will continue to crank out Twinkies in Canada.  Add that to the list entitlted "Trevor's reasons to visit Canada".   Wink

"May I offer you a Peek Frean?" - Walter Bishop
"Thank you for appreciating my descent into deviant behavior, Mr. Reese." - Harold Finch
AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #50 on: November 23, 2012, 10:17:13 AM »

There are better reasons to visit Canada.

Red velvet cake, cream filling and a chocolate coating. Beats the hell out of any Hostess cake.

---------------------
"Join me in the abyss of savings."
Ed, Ego and Superego

« Reply #51 on: November 23, 2012, 02:54:24 PM »

There are better reasons to visit Canada.

Red velvet cake, cream filling and a chocolate coating. Beats the hell out of any Hostess cake.

And these Andy:

The reincarnation of the classic Star Bar....sigh..

Quantum materiae materietur marmota monax si marmota monax materiam possit materiari?

Si Hoc Legere Scis Nimium Eruditionis Habes
Newt
Mostly Harmless. Mostly.

I want to be Ripley when I grow up.

« Reply #52 on: November 23, 2012, 03:17:56 PM »

Careful guys: we'll need to start a 'Canadian Treats Worth Visiting For' thread.   Wink

"May I offer you a Peek Frean?" - Walter Bishop
"Thank you for appreciating my descent into deviant behavior, Mr. Reese." - Harold Finch
Menard
Bad Movie Lover

I Am Vitriol...When You Say My Name You Praise Me

« Reply #53 on: November 25, 2012, 09:55:53 AM »

Of course we are.  I'm not saying that Obama is directly responsible for Hostess going down, but I do believe that this uber-Union-friendly administration has created a climate where Unions are going to demand more and more, and many companies on the brink will find it cheaper to go bankrupt than to cave in to people whose default setting is always to demand more, no matter whether the company is Union friendly or not.

But think about this . . . the country is legalizing pot, and TWINKIES are out of business?  There is a conspiracy afoot!!!!

Wow, Indy; you've either been smoking legalized pot or twinkies...neither of which are good for you.

Let me give you some actual background on IBC, the Hostess company, so that you might understand things a little better rather than jumping to your anti-union, blame the black guy conclusion all of a sudden.

IBC (Interstate Brands Corporation) has Hostess, Wonder Bread, Butternut, Dolly Madison among other bakery brands. They are also in competition for not only the record for the most bankruptcies for any company within the last 10 years, 2 such bankruptcies back to back, but also the poster child status of the most incompetently run company of the decade at least; and they are also the top bakery products provider to grocery stores seconded by Sara Lee.

Only a few years ago, on their second bankruptcy in a row, the Bakers' Union took a 30% wage cut and drivers had to return their first $1000 in commissions to the company to pull them out of bankruptcy, while the ceo and corporate officers, those who have mismanaged the company through bankruptcy after bankruptcy, rewarded themselves and lined their pockets.

And that's union greed? It must be the twinkies you are smoking. Buggedout

IBC has more than earned their nickname of Idiot Baking Company within the industry. They are horribly mismanaged by people who take no cuts themselves but keep putting it off on the workers, and how many cuts can workers take? They took a 30% cut just a few years ago, would you work for half of what you made only 10 years ago?

Their liquidation has unfortunately been interrupted. Their best course of action is to liquidate. Hostess is not going anywhere, but it would be a hell of a lot better being managed by someone else rather than continuing in the hands of people who have run the company into the ground and want to impose yet another wage cut on the workers to pay for their incompetence.

But hey, keep blaming the black guy if you want. It's been a popular thing to do for years...why should we bother to evolve now?  TongueOut

lester1/2jr
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #54 on: November 25, 2012, 10:49:24 AM »

We just better hope that bankrupt doesn't go Hostess!
AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #55 on: November 25, 2012, 11:07:29 AM »

Careful guys: we'll need to start a 'Canadian Treats Worth Visiting For' thread.   Wink

I don't know how reading that put me in the mood for poutine, but it did.

---------------------
"Join me in the abyss of savings."
El Misfit
[Insert witty here]
B-Movie Kraken

Hi there!

« Reply #56 on: November 25, 2012, 11:44:25 AM »

Trevor, do you have Little Debbie in South Africa? Because if so.....

It's basically LD's Twinkies. Smile
« Last Edit: November 25, 2012, 02:49:34 PM by El Misfit » Logged

yeah no.
BoyScoutKevin

« Reply #57 on: November 27, 2012, 06:11:52 PM »

Interesting.

Certainly, an iconic company that has been around as long as I can remember. Of course, it is not the only iconic company that has been in bankruptcy, or may go into bankruptcy.

Kodak, which is synonmous with Rochester, New York, has just come out of bankruptcy, as a leaner and we hope meaner company.

And J.C. Penny's is still struggling and may be forced to go into bankruptcy.

Of course, for every iconic failutre or how not to do something, there is at least one iconic success story or how to do something.

Apple, of course.

McDonald's. the largest fast food chain in the world, and which did much to change how people eat worldwide.

Wal-Mart, the largest retail chain in the world, and which did much to change how people shop worldwide.

And the Walt Disney Company, now the largest entertainment company  in the world, and while someone else would have probably gotten there sooner or later, changed how the world looked at entertainment. Not bad for a company that basically started as two men making movie cartoons in their uncle's garage.

As for Hostess, reading in the "WSJ," there are companies interested in buying at least parts of it, at reduced prices, to expand their own scope of operations.

Stay tuned for further developments.
Ed, Ego and Superego

« Reply #58 on: November 30, 2012, 06:05:03 PM »

Justto fan the flames more:
http://gma.yahoo.com/bankrupt-hostess-execs-bonuses-094718695--abc-news-topstories.html

Apparentlly the execs get bonuses....
-Ed

Quantum materiae materietur marmota monax si marmota monax materiam possit materiari?

Si Hoc Legere Scis Nimium Eruditionis Habes
indianasmith
Archeologist, Theologian, Elder Scrolls Addict, and a
B-Movie Kraken

A good bad movie is like popcorn for the soul!

« Reply #59 on: November 30, 2012, 06:26:36 PM »

In today's world, execs get bonuses regardless of what happens.  Kinda like politicians!

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Hostess goes Bankrupt!!!!! « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.