Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 19, 2024, 12:26:00 AM
712922 Posts in 53040 Topics by 7722 Members
Latest Member: GenevaBarr
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  LAWRENCE OF ARABIA on TCM Friday, November 16, 8pm EST « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: LAWRENCE OF ARABIA on TCM Friday, November 16, 8pm EST  (Read 6091 times)
Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

Either he's dead or my watch has stopped!

« on: November 13, 2012, 09:12:34 PM »

LAWRENCE OF ARABIA on TCM Friday, November 16, 8pm EST. 

If you want to view paradise . . . simply look around and view it!
tracy
Inventor of the Turnip Twaddler and
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2012, 01:32:23 PM »

One of my favorite movies of all time and one of the greatest ever filmed....pure excellence! Wink

Yes,I'm fine....as long as I don't look too closely.
Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2012, 09:49:21 PM »

One of my favorite movies of all time and one of the greatest ever filmed....pure excellence! Wink
I cannot disagree.  At some point, this long film entered the singular realm of "endlessly watchable" for me.  I instantly liked this film, and I was quite young when it came on the TV as an event (probably not its first time).  But this is a rare film for me that gets better each time I look at it.  Which I will be doing again.  

If you have not seen this film, take a chance, I think anyone without a chip on their shoulder would like this film.  It's long, and at times "motionless," but it's riveting.  As Tracy put it "...one of the greatest ever filmed....pure excellence!"

RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

"Charlie,we're in HELL!"-"yeah,ain't it groovy?!"

« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2012, 06:31:22 AM »

I,too,love it! Its in the top 20 of my Favorite Films of All Time.
And the music is FANTASTIC.

Small | Large

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)
Interviewer-"Does Dracula ever end for you?
Lugosi-"No. Dracula-never ends."

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
https://www.tumblr.com/ronmerchant
tracy

« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2012, 01:12:59 PM »

I,too,love it! Its in the top 20 of my Favorite Films of All Time.
And the music is FANTASTIC.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jdFwhhH2x7I

Ah,the music....probably my favorite movie theme. Wink

bob
I survived Bucky Larson

Torgo watches you masterbate!

« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2012, 08:46:29 AM »

I'm pretty damn excited that it's finally out on bluray.

Kubrick, Nolan, Tarantino, Wan, Iñárritu, Scorsese, Chaplin, Abrams, Wes Anderson, Gilliam, Kurosawa - the elite

I believe in the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.
fulci420
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2012, 03:48:10 PM »

bought a copy today have never seen it before. Hear the blu ray looks fantastic so I'm excited to check it out this week. 
tracy

« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2012, 03:58:33 PM »

bought a copy today have never seen it before. Hear the blu ray looks fantastic so I'm excited to check it out this week. 

Seeing it for the first time....lucky you! Wink

Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2012, 04:38:12 PM »

Perhaps... though I could see where someone would not appreciate LAWRENCE OF ARABIA right away.  It is a long movie.  I do think it's about as good as movies get.  I do like DAVID LEAN's movies (watched much of DOCTOR ZHIVAGO last night, another long one I love, directed by LEAN).  My favorite LEAN movie would have to be GREAT EXPECTATIONS which is more jaw-dropping perfection, and not as long as the other two I mention. 

tracy

« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2012, 01:17:39 PM »

Perhaps... though I could see where someone would not appreciate LAWRENCE OF ARABIA right away.  It is a long movie.  I do think it's about as good as movies get.  I do like DAVID LEAN's movies (watched much of DOCTOR ZHIVAGO last night, another long one I love, directed by LEAN).  My favorite LEAN movie would have to be GREAT EXPECTATIONS which is more jaw-dropping perfection, and not as long as the other two I mention. 
I guess I'm odd....I don't care how lengthy film is as long as it is interesting.  Wink

Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2012, 02:10:36 PM »

...I guess I'm odd....I don't care how lengthy film is as long as it is interesting.  Wink
Uhm, you've never encountered someone who complained that any particular movie was "too long"?  I've even encountered people who won't watch a movie because it's black and white! 

fulci420
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2012, 06:09:31 PM »

Finally got around to watching this one. Firstly as I've said before the Blu Ray restoration is truly astounding and the best I have ever seen. Many films I have on blu ray from the past 20 years pale in comparison to the utter clarity and perfection of this image. You can see clips of the restored dvd on the behind the scenes material and they are worlds apart.

Ok enough gushing about the blu ray, what about the movie itself. Well on first viewing I greatly enjoyed the whole experience. I see that much has been written about the greatness of this film so I feel I have little to add. In fact writing about this movie at all seems futile the greatness is clearly there on the screen. The music, the complexity of Peter O Toole's performance and obviously the scope of the whole production were immediately impressive, but I feel rewatches and further exploration of Leans movies will further my appreciation in the future.
Mofo Rising
Global Moderator

My cat can eat a whole watermelon!

« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2012, 02:06:22 AM »

Well, I have to admit I found the whole experience a bit overrated.

Don't get me wrong, I really liked the movie, but I didn't find it a work of epic genius. It's certainly epic in scope (and length), but I just didn't find a handle that really tied me to the movie. Maybe my expectations were too high.

I kind of felt the same way about The Bridge on the River Kwai. A really good movie, but really long does not necessarily mean "epic."

Maybe I'm spoiled, because I approached David Lean through his earlier, smaller movies. Allhallowsday, mentioned his adaptation of Great Expectations, which is fantastic. I also really like Brief Encounter. I can see the importance of his later "epic" work, but for me, they really do not compare to his earlier stuff.

But this is me judging his work several decades later. You should watch these movies, I'm not arguing that. They just didn't hit me as "the best movies of all time."

Every dead body that is not exterminated becomes one of them. It gets up and kills. The people it kills, get up and kill.
tracy

« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2012, 02:18:46 PM »

...I guess I'm odd....I don't care how lengthy film is as long as it is interesting.  Wink
Uhm, you've never encountered someone who complained that any particular movie was "too long"?  I've even encountered people who won't watch a movie because it's black and white! 

I have indeed! I've known people that complained after 90 minutes....please! I guess some have too short an attention span for that. Also,my daughter used to refuse to watch anything in B&W.....but she really started appreciating them after seeing some old Hammer film classics. She's now a huge fan of Lugosi,Karloff,Lee and Cushing. Yea!

Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  LAWRENCE OF ARABIA on TCM Friday, November 16, 8pm EST « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.