Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 04:32:50 PM
714484 Posts in 53097 Topics by 7744 Members
Latest Member: MichelFran
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Heart Attacks? « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: Heart Attacks?  (Read 15739 times)
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

"Charlie,we're in HELL!"-"yeah,ain't it groovy?!"

« on: November 23, 2012, 07:20:57 AM »

Does anyone here on board know any heart attack survivors? Or had one themselves-any advice on how they dealt with it?

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)
Interviewer-"Does Dracula ever end for you?
Lugosi-"No. Dracula-never ends."

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
https://www.tumblr.com/ronmerchant
Newt
Mostly Harmless. Mostly.
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

I want to be Ripley when I grow up.

« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2012, 08:33:11 AM »

(Please tell us this is not about you?)

Of course it depends on the extent of the damage, but a heart attack is not necessarily the end of the world: however it IS a heavy-duty wakeup call.

RC, my blacksmith (the guy who shoes my horses) had a heart attack in February.  Then he had triple bypass surgery.  He was off work for about six months BUT he was told he was exceptionally healthy and fit to start with.  Now he is back at work shoeing horses.  (Keep in mind this is a man who has always pushed physical limits in spite of injuries and high blood pressure: so perhaps not overly cautious or even sensible!)

I think the key factor in recovery was HE DID EXACTLY AS HE WAS TOLD TO by health care professionals.  LOTS of check-ups and advice.

Be under the care of a doctor; cooperate with monitoring progress; be optimistic and BEHAVE YOURSELF.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2012, 08:36:06 AM by Newt » Logged

"May I offer you a Peek Frean?" - Walter Bishop
"Thank you for appreciating my descent into deviant behavior, Mr. Reese." - Harold Finch
indianasmith
Archeologist, Theologian, Elder Scrolls Addict, and a
B-Movie Kraken

A good bad movie is like popcorn for the soul!

« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2012, 09:15:14 AM »

My Dad had a heart attack in 2000 at the age fo 74.  He had several stints put in, and he made a full recovery and is still going strong 12 years later!  Follow the doctor's advice and eat healthy, get plenty of exercise, and avoid unnecessary stress.

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2012, 09:28:20 AM »

(Please tell us this is not about you?)

Of course it depends on the extent of the damage, but a heart attack is not necessarily the end of the world: however it IS a heavy-duty wakeup call.

RC, my blacksmith (the guy who shoes my horses) had a heart attack in February.  Then he had triple bypass surgery.  He was off work for about six months BUT he was told he was exceptionally healthy and fit to start with.  Now he is back at work shoeing horses.  (Keep in mind this is a man who has always pushed physical limits in spite of injuries and high blood pressure: so perhaps not overly cautious or even sensible!)

I think the key factor in recovery was HE DID EXACTLY AS HE WAS TOLD TO by health care professionals.  LOTS of check-ups and advice.

Be under the care of a doctor; cooperate with monitoring progress; be optimistic and BEHAVE YOURSELF.

I went to the hospital Wednesday-they got me on nitro pills.
Im supposed set up an appointment with a cardioligist.
I dunno-this is scaring the s**t out of me.
The fancy word for it is "acute myocardial infraction".  Lookingup
I call it "notsocute mys**t inpain!"  TongueOut

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
ulthar

I AM serious, and stop calling me Shirley

« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2012, 09:36:43 AM »

Ronnie, I am sorry to hear this and will keep you in my prayers.

As Newt said, this is a MAJOR wake-up call.

I've known more people than I can count that have had heart attacks.  They are very common.

Best of luck and please keep us informed.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Professor Hathaway:  I noticed you stopped stuttering.
Bodie:      I've been giving myself shock treatments.
Professor Hathaway: Up the voltage.

--Real Genius
Newt
Mostly Harmless. Mostly.

I want to be Ripley when I grow up.

« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2012, 09:40:33 AM »

Dammit Ronnie we want you to stick around for a long time: make that appointment.

Of course it is scary!  Knowing exactly what your condition is and how to deal with it HAS TO BE better than not knowing.  Getting the information and advice and following it are the first steps to becoming healthier and stronger.  The sooner the better.  Living with the fears is only going to increase your stress level; not to mention it is just plain torture!

Make that appointment, ask plenty of questions and be good!    

"May I offer you a Peek Frean?" - Walter Bishop
"Thank you for appreciating my descent into deviant behavior, Mr. Reese." - Harold Finch
bob
I survived Bucky Larson

Torgo watches you masterbate!

« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2012, 09:44:03 AM »

I strongly urge you to make the appointment and ask a lot of questions to the doctor.

Kubrick, Nolan, Tarantino, Wan, Iñárritu, Scorsese, Chaplin, Abrams, Wes Anderson, Gilliam, Kurosawa - the elite

I believe in the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.
Living_Dead_Girl
Bad Movie Lover

Excuse me. You need to go back to grad school.

« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2012, 10:25:53 AM »

All I can say is if something does not feel right then call the ambulance, even if it is a false alarm that is better than a heart attack untreated.

There are diet to avoid heart disease but anything heart attack related should be handled by a doctor!

Unless you have been there done that! Got the T-Shirt and are just looking for like minded people to communicate with.

Then I did not just look into the mirror, I looked through the mirror...
Flangepart

« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2012, 10:43:55 AM »

Had one two years ago. Needed a small stink put it. Been okay so far...

"Aggressivlly eccentric, and proud of it!"
ulthar

I AM serious, and stop calling me Shirley

« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2012, 11:08:54 AM »

Here's to your continued positive recovery! 

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Professor Hathaway:  I noticed you stopped stuttering.
Bodie:      I've been giving myself shock treatments.
Professor Hathaway: Up the voltage.

--Real Genius
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2012, 01:56:36 PM »

My Dad had open heart surgery a few years back-but we dont talk too much.
I will take you guys advise-I love and trust you guys.  Smile

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
Flangepart

« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2012, 03:23:51 PM »

Here's to your continued positive recovery! 
And maybe to reading my post before I send it! Oy...

"Aggressivlly eccentric, and proud of it!"
Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

Either he's dead or my watch has stopped!

« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2012, 08:11:42 PM »

My Dad had open heart surgery a few years back-but we dont talk too much.
I will take you guys advise-I love and trust you guys.  Smile
You need to quit smoking.  Quitting the drink is probably also a good idea. 
And the word is INFARCTION not infraction.  You may have already had a "silent heart attack" which are also common and though you may have felt ill one day, you may not have had seriously disrupting symptoms. 

We love you.  Please move quickly, get advice, and follow it.  Cut the crap.  Once you're dead, you're done.  Live. 

If you want to view paradise . . . simply look around and view it!
The Burgomaster
Aggravating People Worldwide Since 1964

« Reply #13 on: November 25, 2012, 11:41:15 AM »

I had a heart attack at the beginning of 2010.  I didn't even realize I was having one.  I had chest pains for two days, but I thought I just pulled a muscle or something.  I even spent some time snow-blowing my driveway while my heart attack was in progress.  Coincidentally, I had a routine physical the morning after the chest pains stopped.  I told my doctor about the pains and she ran some tests.  About 2 hours later she called me at work and told me to go to the emergency room because the tests shows that I had suffered a heart attack.  I ended up getting a cardiac catheterization, which showed that the blockage was in a narrow branch of an artery.  It was too narrow to insert a stent and I didn't need a bypass.  So, they just prescribed some pills.  Since then, I've been eating healthier and exercising and have lost more than 50 pounds.  Luckily, I suffered very little damage and am living a very normal life with no restrictions on physical activity.

"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone."
Mofo Rising
Global Moderator

My cat can eat a whole watermelon!

« Reply #14 on: November 26, 2012, 03:25:02 AM »

When I was in high school, my father had basically the same experience that Burgomaster had. He had chest pains and ended up going to the hospital because, what the hey? It really freaked me out because they pulled me out of class with nothing more than "Your father has had a heart attack!"

So, it turned out that he had a minor infarction. "Minor" in any case should be translated as "Holy crap, I need to change things or I am just about to die."

My father was a habitual smoker for almost all of my life, and kind of overweight. Both things you should get rid of if you can.

There's a happy ending to this. After the heart attack, my father gave up smoking. No relapse or anything. Habitual smoker, heart attack, never smoked again.

That was almost 20 years ago. My father is alive to this day. Long story short, when your doctor prescribes a healthier lifestyle, TAKE IT. In fact, switching to a healthier lifestyle is something you should do right now. You do not want to find that you've been living unhealthily because you're sitting on the wrong side of a heart attack.

A heart attack is not necessarily the end of the world, but it's pretty close. Most of the time it is the end of your world, because the end result is the end result. But if you're willing to do the work and change, and the initial heart attack didn't end you, there's no reason that you can't go on living past the initial insult.

It does take a drastic reconstruction of your eating/smoking/drinking habits. But if you're willing to do that, it doesn't necessarily mean the end of your life.

Every dead body that is not exterminated becomes one of them. It gets up and kills. The people it kills, get up and kill.
Pages: [1] 2 3
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Heart Attacks? « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.