Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 02:36:26 PM
714480 Posts in 53097 Topics by 7743 Members
Latest Member: medikam
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  LINCOLN (2012) « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: LINCOLN (2012)  (Read 9876 times)
indianasmith
Archeologist, Theologian, Elder Scrolls Addict, and a
B-Movie Kraken

A good bad movie is like popcorn for the soul!

« on: November 24, 2012, 12:05:24 AM »

I have been looking forward to this film for some time, and tonight my wife and I went with two of our friends to see it.  I have admired Abraham Lincoln for my entire adult life, and have probably read about 30 books on him over the years.  I know that many Libertarians do not care for Lincoln because of his aggressive use of Executive power and his relentless opposition to the "right" of secession; this is an area where I have always disagreed.  What I have always admired about Lincoln was his unrelenting hatred of slavery, his consummate political skills, his incredible rise from obscurity to the nation's highest office, and his soaring eloquence that makes his words immortal.
   At the same time, Lincoln was a man subject to deep depression, married to an unbalanced woman whose mind was half destroyed be the death of two of their sons and crippling migraine headaches.  He could be duplicitous, ambitious, conniving, and ruthless.
  Spielberg's movie shows us Lincoln with all his flaws and all his greatness. Daniel Day-Lewis' performance is truly amazing - it is easy to forget that you are not looking at the real Abraham Lincoln at times. Lewis has brought our sixteenth President to life in a performance that is, purely and simply, the best portrayal of any American President ever done by any actor.
  The supporting cast is superb.  Sally Fields is alternately crazy, pitiful, and powerful as Mary Todd Lincoln, and Tommy Lee Jones is brilliant in his portrayal of the Radical Republican and abolitiionist, Thaddeus Stevens. Even the minor actors do good service to their roles, and there is not a person in the movie who is not believable in the part they play.
  The movie is long, and there are a few scenes that drag a bit, but overall, it is a cinematic triumph.  Those who dislike Lincoln will find some scenes that bolster that disdain; those (like me) who believe that he was our greatest President will also find ample material to support that position.  The battle scenes, though few in number, were quite brutal, and the set is remarkable.  There is some pretty rough language in places - a bit suprisingly so - but, in real life, people swear, and the movie incorporates the profanity without wallowing in it.
  The focus of the movie is not on all of Lincoln's life, but rather on the tremendous battle he fought in January and February of 1865 to secure passage of the 13th Amendment to the Constitution, which forever abolished slavery.  The Senate had passed the amendmen in 1863, and in the House, the opposition was determined and entrenched.  Knowing that the war was nearing its end, and that with the return of peace passage of the Amendment might become politically impossible, Lincoln pulled out all the stops in an attempt to secure the 20 votes he needed to get the 2/3 majority required to send the Amendment to the States for ratification.  The movie is dialogue-heavy and very dramatic, but the triumphant passage of the Amendment is an appropriate climax.
  The movie does meander a bit near the end, but the last scenes brought tears to my eyes.  If you love American history, you need to see this movie.  If you love or hate Abraham Lincoln, you need to see this movie.  This one will probably win some Oscars - and rightly so.

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
HappyGilmore
B-Movie Kraken

I know Quack-Fu.

« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2012, 07:19:50 AM »

I want to see this. I'll likely catch it next weekend.

I am a Libertarian, but Lincoln remains my favorite president regardless.

I've only seen one other Spielberg film, so this'll be #2.

"The path to Heaven runs through miles of clouded Hell."

Don’t get too close, it’s dark inside.
It’s where my demons hide, it’s where my demons hide.
Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

Either he's dead or my watch has stopped!

« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2012, 11:17:41 AM »

The Republican party of LINCOLN's era was very different from what we know the party as representing today (good and bad).  I agree, Indy: LINCOLN was our greatest President.  I am looking forward to seeing this film over the Christmas holiday. 

If you want to view paradise . . . simply look around and view it!
lester1/2jr
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2012, 07:39:25 PM »

I'll be passing on this one, mostly because it looks boring. They should have called it "The Great Centralizer" and focused on stuff like Sherman's march, Morril tariff, etc  Wink
« Last Edit: November 24, 2012, 07:43:32 PM by lester1/2jr » Logged
indianasmith
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2012, 08:44:02 PM »

Hee hee . . . I was wondering when you would weigh in!
OF COURSE, raising the tariff is way more exciting than championing a Constitutional amendment banning slavery forever! TeddyR

As for Sherman's march . . . well, you sow what you reap. Southerners whine and moan about it, but for the almost 1 million black slaves in the route of Sherman's columns, it was the Year of Jubilee!!!!

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
lester1/2jr
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2012, 09:45:16 PM »

Thumbdown
ulthar
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

I AM serious, and stop calling me Shirley

« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2012, 08:29:47 AM »

Thumbdown

Indeed.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Professor Hathaway:  I noticed you stopped stuttering.
Bodie:      I've been giving myself shock treatments.
Professor Hathaway: Up the voltage.

--Real Genius
The Burgomaster
Aggravating People Worldwide Since 1964

« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2012, 11:30:57 AM »

I thought it was a well-made film all the way around.  Crisp dialogue, strong acting, impressive sets and costumes.  This will get a slew of Oscar nominations and several wins.  It definitely is not a movie for everyone.  I can see plenty of people being bored to death by all the talky politics.  But, for me, the 2 1/2 hours went by quickly and I'm glad I spent the money to see it.

"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone."
Pacman000
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2012, 06:02:58 PM »

I saw this over the weekend.  It was a bit slow, but it was good.  I don't want to watch it everyday, but it was good to see.  And, yes, the acting was good.
Kaseykockroach
Cartoon Enthusiast and Muppet Fanatic
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2012, 11:21:37 PM »

Mundane white guilt trip.

Closetshipper.deviantart.com

"You wanna be a genius, it's easy. All you gotta say is, everything stinks. Then you're never wrong."
El Misfit
[Insert witty here]
B-Movie Kraken

Hi there!

« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2012, 11:24:01 PM »

I heard that Lincoln was doing well in theatres, seems to be inaccurate. TongueOut I kid, however, I do not have any intention to go see it, because it reeks of Oscar winning material.

yeah no.
indianasmith
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2012, 12:07:03 AM »

My daughter really wanted to see this, so tonight I took her and sat through the film a second time.  It held up very well on a second viewing, and being familiar with the story and the dialogue, I was better able to focus on the small details of the film.  It was correct in so many very small details; also I was able to really focus on Daniel Day-Lewis' mannerisms, movements, and poses as well as his acting.  Or perhaps I should say, on that aspect of his performance.  The realism is stunning.  I have read many of the descriptions of Lincoln from men who knew him - his discomfort with gloves, his fondness for draping a shawl across his shoulders in chilly weather, his penchant for storytelling that drove his cabinet to distraction - and there is simply nothing in this film that does not ring true.  I am still deeply impressed!

CheezeFlixz

Pathetic Earthlings

« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2012, 12:16:43 AM »

The Republican party of LINCOLN's era was very different from what we know the party as representing today (good and bad).  I agree, Indy: LINCOLN was our greatest President.  I am looking forward to seeing this film over the Christmas holiday. 

Yea the Republicans had Jim Crow, KKK, Bull Connor, George Wallace, Orval Faubus ... wait no that was the Democrats, sorry my bad.

I haven't seen Lincoln yet - I'll likely wait for the DVD or catch it streaming.

Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

Either he's dead or my watch has stopped!

« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2012, 02:10:56 PM »

Yea the Republicans had Jim Crow, KKK, Bull Connor, George Wallace, Orval Faubus ... wait no that was the Democrats, sorry my bad.
I haven't seen Lincoln yet - I'll likely wait for the DVD or catch it streaming.
And today it'd be the Republicans.   Twirling  Like I wrote, "...very different..."

If you want to view paradise . . . simply look around and view it!
CheezeFlixz

Pathetic Earthlings

« Reply #14 on: December 05, 2012, 02:50:35 PM »

And today it'd be the Republicans.   Twirling  Like I wrote, "...very different..."

No matter how long I stay gone you just refuse to educate yourself - government dependency is modern slavery. Which party works to keep people on the dole?

Pages: [1] 2
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  LINCOLN (2012) « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.