Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 19, 2024, 05:35:42 AM
712927 Posts in 53040 Topics by 7722 Members
Latest Member: GenevaBarr
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Are you a Geek? « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Are you a Geek?  (Read 8938 times)
ChaosTheory
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #15 on: December 29, 2012, 01:10:46 PM »

I'm the person who sits in the farthest corner of the back row and doesn't want to make eye contact with anyone.  Whatever the word for that is.

"Disturbed loner."  Wink

I prefer to think of myself as "socially handicapped"   Twirling

I've been called a geek for numerous reasons.

2.I have been really into role-playing games...not those computer ones but the ones that require dice

I never played D&D when I was younger but I'm kind of into it now.  I also love Munchkins but that's sort of a spoof game; the serious RPG-ers would probably hassle me for it.
 Cheers

3.I actually enjoy elevator music and Lawrence Welk

Hahaha I used to love Lawrence Welk  (I watched  a lot of PBS as a child).  Bobby's teeth were disturbing. 

Through the darkness of future past
The magician longs to see
One chance opts between two worlds
Fire walk with me
tracy
Inventor of the Turnip Twaddler and

« Reply #16 on: December 29, 2012, 01:17:37 PM »

I'm the person who sits in the farthest corner of the back row and doesn't want to make eye contact with anyone.  Whatever the word for that is.

"Disturbed loner."  Wink

I prefer to think of myself as "socially handicapped"   Twirling

I've been called a geek for numerous reasons.

2.I have been really into role-playing games...not those computer ones but the ones that require dice

I never played D&D when I was younger but I'm kind of into it now.  I also love Munchkins but that's sort of a spoof game; the serious RPG-ers would probably hassle me for it.
 Cheers

3.I actually enjoy elevator music and Lawrence Welk

Hahaha I used to love Lawrence Welk  (I watched  a lot of PBS as a child).  Bobby's teeth were disturbing.  

LOL...I actually thought Bobby had a few more teeth than normal. As for role-playing,I haven't done it in years but really liked it. I played D&D,Star Wars,Champions,Middle Earth,Top Secret and some others.

Yes,I'm fine....as long as I don't look too closely.
Mofo Rising
Global Moderator

My cat can eat a whole watermelon!

« Reply #17 on: December 30, 2012, 04:33:42 AM »

You know, I tried to quantify what people think is cool a few years ago, at least in America. And you know what I decided? It was nothing more than sex and money. The "cool" people were just those who had money and were worried about who they would have sex with next. That's "cool" in American society.

Those people are incredibly boring individuals. Nothing of merit will ever arise for those gifted douchebags. They'll just keep f**king themselves. (Not that I'm saying that isn't great. Sign me on.)

I do find it amusing that the ascendancy of the geek has found it's way into polite society. I lived through the years when being smart was a stigma. Now, everybody is chomping at the bit to be the smart guy.

At the same time, I was the smart kid, and I wish somebody would have taught me basic shop class. Oh, I've got an imagination, but I'd rather know how to work a smart-saw.

I'm a geek for sure, but those jocks learned real-world skills I would kill for.

Every dead body that is not exterminated becomes one of them. It gets up and kills. The people it kills, get up and kill.
The Burgomaster
Aggravating People Worldwide Since 1964

« Reply #18 on: December 30, 2012, 07:02:15 PM »

NOTICE - This discussion will be followed by a new topic: "Are you a Greek?"

"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone."
tracy
Inventor of the Turnip Twaddler and

« Reply #19 on: December 31, 2012, 03:29:55 PM »

NOTICE - This discussion will be followed by a new topic: "Are you a Greek?"

Not so far. TeddyR

Yes,I'm fine....as long as I don't look too closely.
Trevor
Uncle Zombie and Eminent Shitologist
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #20 on: January 03, 2013, 08:36:04 AM »

Confirmed as a geek and proud of it.  TeddyR

I know I can make it on my own if I try, but I'm searching for the Great Heart
To stand me by, underneath the African sky
A Great Heart to stand me by.
El Misfit
[Insert witty here]
B-Movie Kraken

Hi there!

« Reply #21 on: January 05, 2013, 05:36:00 AM »

Anyone who knows a lot about something and pursues his/her passion is a geek in his/her own way, heck, I'm sorta car geek. TongueOut

yeah no.
Jack
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #22 on: January 05, 2013, 10:21:06 AM »

Does that whole geek thing really mean anything once you're out of high school?  Seems like everybody I know is a geek.  Of course working in an accounting office probably doesn't help matters much.  But some of those people in purchasing are actually geekier than we are  TeddyR

But yeah, I'm 48 and play video games every night, I'm going to build my own gaming PC, I've got 500+ DVD's - all of them bad - and I may know a thing or too about Star Trek, Star Wars, Babylon 5, Space 1999, UFO, etc.  But that stuff just makes me cool  TongueOut

The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion.

- Paulo Coelho
Newt
Mostly Harmless. Mostly.

I want to be Ripley when I grow up.

« Reply #23 on: January 05, 2013, 06:07:23 PM »

Does that whole geek thing really mean anything once you're out of high school?  Seems like everybody I know is a geek.  Of course working in an accounting office probably doesn't help matters much.  But some of those people in purchasing are actually geekier than we are  TeddyR

BounceGiggle BounceGiggle BounceGiggle BounceGiggle BounceGiggle  No doubt.  I married a systems analyst.   IT professionals will give accountants a run for the geek title!

"May I offer you a Peek Frean?" - Walter Bishop
"Thank you for appreciating my descent into deviant behavior, Mr. Reese." - Harold Finch
Javakoala
« Reply #24 on: January 08, 2013, 08:01:21 AM »

Couldn't pass this thread up.

I go to a therapist (mental health type), and she is very focused on my life being outside the norm. She asked me if it bothers me to be outside the mainstream. I responded, "Do you find the postings of your 200 plus 'friends' on Facebook to be important? Do you read each and every one of them?" No, she told me. "Do you keep up with who won 'Dancing With The Stars' or 'American Idol'?" Well, no. "Do you really give a flip about Honey Boo-Boo and her family?" No, she said, but what does that have to do with anything?

That is "mainstream"! If I'm a geek for not being interested in that crap, then for the love of all creation, I AM A GEEK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

She thought about my comments and then admited, "I guess that makes me outside the mainstream as well. Wow."

Now, being non-social and avoiding contact with humanity, those are completely different issues...and I'm still working on those.
Trevor
Uncle Zombie and Eminent Shitologist
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #25 on: January 08, 2013, 08:20:59 AM »

Couldn't pass this thread up.

I go to a therapist (mental health type), and she is very focused on my life being outside the norm. She asked me if it bothers me to be outside the mainstream. I responded, "Do you find the postings of your 200 plus 'friends' on Facebook to be important? Do you read each and every one of them?" No, she told me. "Do you keep up with who won 'Dancing With The Stars' or 'American Idol'?" Well, no. "Do you really give a flip about Honey Boo-Boo and her family?" No, she said, but what does that have to do with anything?

That is "mainstream"! If I'm a geek for not being interested in that crap, then for the love of all creation, I AM A GEEK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

She thought about my comments and then admited, "I guess that makes me outside the mainstream as well. Wow."

Now, being non-social and avoiding contact with humanity, those are completely different issues...and I'm still working on those.

Heyyy, BrotherJava: welcome back!  Cheers

I know I can make it on my own if I try, but I'm searching for the Great Heart
To stand me by, underneath the African sky
A Great Heart to stand me by.
Pages: 1 [2]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Are you a Geek? « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.