Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 09:19:05 AM
714466 Posts in 53097 Topics by 7743 Members
Latest Member: medikam
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  Christmas Movies « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Christmas Movies  (Read 12175 times)
bob
I survived Bucky Larson
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Torgo watches you masterbate!

« on: December 20, 2012, 08:33:58 AM »

We had a thread for Halloween movies so I figured why not have one for Christmas films.

Here's the Christmas movies I've watched so far this month:

Die Hard (1988) 5/5
Trading Places (1983) 5/5
Rocky 4 (1985) 3/5
Eyes Wide Shut (1999) bluray 5/5
Jingle All the Way (1996) 2/5
It's a Wonderful Life (1946) 5/5

Kubrick, Nolan, Tarantino, Wan, Iñárritu, Scorsese, Chaplin, Abrams, Wes Anderson, Gilliam, Kurosawa - the elite

I believe in the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.
Jack
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2012, 09:59:32 AM »

We'll start on ours tonight, since we've got 6 movies and six days up to an including the 25th.

I guess I could sort of count these:

For Your Eyes Only (1981) - kind of Christmasy as a lot of it takes place at a ski resort.  I gave that a 4/5.
Saint Nick (2010) - Dutch Christmas horror, gave that a 4/5 as well.

I should also watch Heroes of Telemark and Where Eagles Dare I suppose.  Oh and I should finally get around to watching Død Snø on Netflix.  All the heartwarming family fare ya know  Smile

The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion.

- Paulo Coelho
AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2012, 10:16:45 AM »

Been watching them all month, either with the whole family or just with my daughter. She's at the age where I wanted to introduce her to some annual favourites.

We've watched:

Elf
Jingle All the Way
The Santa Clause
Home Alone
A Christmas Carol (1951)
It's a Wonderful Life
Miracle on 34th Street (1994)
Ernest Saves Christmas

And a few of the specials:
Rankin-Bass Rudolph
Merry Christmas, Charlie Brown
How the Grinch Stole Christmas

Hoping to enjoy a couple more versions of A Christmas Carol I've rounded up - Albert Finney, Bill Murray, Henry Winkler and possibly George C. Scott if I can find it.

And, of course, I must find time for Ralphie and the Griswolds. Probably Christmas Day.

---------------------
"Join me in the abyss of savings."
The Burgomaster
Aggravating People Worldwide Since 1964

« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2012, 11:33:08 AM »

So far, I have watched only A CHRISTMAS CAROL (1938).  I will be overloaded with Christmas movie viewings over the next few days, as I traditionally dig out my DVDs of:

* A CHRISTMAS CAROL/SCROOGE (3 versions in addition to the one I mentioned above)
* RICH LITTLE'S CHRISTMAS CAROL
* A CHRISTMAS STORY
* THE BEST OF THE ANDY WILLIAMS CHRISTMAS SPECIALS
* A BING CROSBY CHRISTMAS
* HAPPY HOLIDAYS WITH BING AND FRANK

If I have time, I will watch a few others.  But the ones above are the ones I make sure I watch every year.

"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone."
ulthar

I AM serious, and stop calling me Shirley

« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2012, 11:38:35 AM »

We had a thread for Halloween movies so I figured why not have one for Christmas films.

Cuz we've had 'em several times before...almost every year?   Question

How is TRADING PLACES a Christmas movie?  Just because it happens to take place around Christmas/New Years?  Don't get me wrong, it's an EXCELLENT movie...one of my favorites, but it's not really a Christmas story (in my opinion, at least).

Our list includes all (well, most) of the Rankin-Bass claymation movies, HOW THE GRINCH STOLE CHRISTMAS and smattering of others as they crop up. 
« Last Edit: December 20, 2012, 11:41:27 AM by ulthar » Logged

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Professor Hathaway:  I noticed you stopped stuttering.
Bodie:      I've been giving myself shock treatments.
Professor Hathaway: Up the voltage.

--Real Genius
FatFreddysCat
Movies, Metal, Beer!

« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2012, 12:00:28 PM »

I like a sweet, sentimental, sappy cutesy-poo Christmas movie as much as the next guy, and I always get misty-eyed when Linus delivers his speech about "What Christmas is all about" in "A Charlie Brown Christmas," but after a while I need to counteract all that sugar with some twisted stuff like "Bad Santa" or something from the "Silent Night, Deadly Night" series.  TeddyR

Hey, HEY, kids! Check out my way-cool Music and Movie Review blog on HubPages!
http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
bob
I survived Bucky Larson

« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2012, 01:29:09 PM »

How is TRADING PLACES a Christmas movie?  Just because it happens to take place around Christmas/New Years?  Don't get me wrong, it's an EXCELLENT movie...one of my favorites, but it's not really a Christmas story (in my opinion, at least).

That's exactly why I count it as one. The same goes for Eyes Wide Shut etc.

Kubrick, Nolan, Tarantino, Wan, Iñárritu, Scorsese, Chaplin, Abrams, Wes Anderson, Gilliam, Kurosawa - the elite

I believe in the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.
Umaril Has Returned
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2012, 01:34:40 PM »

The Rankin-Bass Rudolf The Red-Nosed Reindeer and Frosty The Snowman. And what would it be without Jimmy Stewart reminding us that It's A Wonderful Life? And of course A Charlie Brown Christmas.

These are and always will be a staple of my Holiday viewing no matter what age I get to be. So many wonderful memories of being 5 and laying on the floor by the Christmas tree as the old TV brought ABC in with that little bit of fuzzy reception reminding me that TV was still in it's youth w\regard to reception.

And of course, what sort of ABC Christmas would it have been w\o Santa riding on his Norelco razor?  Smile   I'm getting misty-eyed right about now...
HappyGilmore
B-Movie Kraken

I know Quack-Fu.

« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2012, 06:38:14 PM »

So far, I've watched:
Home Alone
Elf
Die Hard
Gremlins
A Christmas Story
National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation

Also:
Ghostbusters 2
Planes, Trains & Automobiles
Santa's Slay

"The path to Heaven runs through miles of clouded Hell."

Don’t get too close, it’s dark inside.
It’s where my demons hide, it’s where my demons hide.
Jack
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2012, 08:00:58 AM »

And of course, what sort of ABC Christmas would it have been w\o Santa riding on his Norelco razor?  Smile   I'm getting misty-eyed right about now...

I used to love that ad

Small | Large

Last night we watched Frosty The Snowman.  It always strikes me as somewhat horrific that the little girl was trapped in the greenhouse and actually had to watch Frosty melt until he was nothing but a puddle on the ground.   Bet she grew up to be a little bit disturbed.  But it's just a super fun little movie that I remember seeing waaaay back when, ever since I was a little kid.

The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion.

- Paulo Coelho
lester1/2jr
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2012, 09:16:34 AM »

I wonder if NL's Christmas Vacation is on TV, that was funny from what I recall. Did you like it HGilmore?
AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2012, 10:29:51 AM »

Small | Large

---------------------
ChaosTheory

« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2012, 12:50:08 PM »

All I've watched this year is MUPPET CHRISTMAS CAROL and MST3K: SANTA CLAUS CONQUERS THE MARTIANS.  I'll probably pull DIE HARD out before Tuesday. 

I am really not in a festive mood this year. 

Through the darkness of future past
The magician longs to see
One chance opts between two worlds
Fire walk with me
bob
I survived Bucky Larson

« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2012, 01:47:00 PM »

I'm going to try and get through Elf, MST3K Jack Frost, L.A. Confidential (it starts around Christmas time), Eastern Promises (takes place during Christmas), and MST3K Santa Claus Conquers the Martians before the month is over.

AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #14 on: December 21, 2012, 03:38:31 PM »

I knew there was one I forgot. We also watched Santa Claus Conquers the Martians. Not the MST3K version though. My daughter's at an age when she can enjoy that stuff for what it is, so that's how we watched it. It's a silly movie, cheap, corny and all that, but it is entertaining.

---------------------
Pages: [1] 2
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  Christmas Movies « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.