Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 12:50:14 AM
714425 Posts in 53097 Topics by 7742 Members
Latest Member: KathleneKa
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Django Unchained (2013) « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Django Unchained (2013)  (Read 8311 times)
Archivist
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« on: January 28, 2013, 02:39:56 AM »

I really struggled with this one.  I've never been a fan of Quentin Tarantino as I find that his movies can ramble too much.  They have the cinematic equivalents of Tolkien's 'hobbit marching songs' that run for pages and do nothing to advance the plot.  And there's just something about his style, whether it is the subject matter, mode of presentation of whatever, that I just don't like.  I enjoyed the Kill Bill movies but even then, mainly due to the homages to all the old kung fu movies of the past, not as a movie in itself.

So it was with a certain amount of hesitation that I watched Django Unchained.  The first hour or so was very enjoyable.  The plot was linear and the scriptwriting and editing very elegant.  But about halfway through, it began to suffer the same things that I never liked about Tarantino, that weird tendency to go on rambles and stretch out scenes, character exposition and plot development that could have been handled much more elegantly.

The movie is violent in a cartoonish way when it calls for it, which is fun.  And it is nasty and brutal when it wants to be, which is also effective.  But to put those two together doesn't quite do it for me.  One minute there is a tremendous gun battle with enough fake blood for a decades worth of cherry pies, then there is a really nasty slave whipping scene.  The incongruence doesn't work, not for me.

When I first saw the thumbnails for the Django Unchained trailer on YouTube, I immediately thought, 'no, not going to see that'.  Then I found out that it was a Tarantino film, and that intuition seemed confirmed.  But a few friends wanted to see it, so I capitulated and went along.  At first I thought this might be different, but by the end, I realized that my intuition had been correct, and that I should really put my foot down and not see any more Tarantino movies, not where I have to pay cinema money.

"Many others since have tried & failed at making a watchable parasite slug movie" - LilCerberus
Newt
Mostly Harmless. Mostly.

I want to be Ripley when I grow up.

« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2013, 06:08:00 AM »

... But about halfway through, it began to suffer the same things that I never liked about Tarantino...

Unfortunately, that about sums up every Tarantino movie I have seen.  I will be avoiding him for the same reason.

"May I offer you a Peek Frean?" - Walter Bishop
"Thank you for appreciating my descent into deviant behavior, Mr. Reese." - Harold Finch
Derf
Crazy Rabbity Thingy
Proofreader

Lagomorphs: menace or underutilized resource?

« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2013, 08:07:38 AM »

Not to sound like a hipster ("I hated Tarantino movies before it was cool"  Lookingup), but I have found much the same about every one of his films that I have seen: they start off okay, sometimes even great, but then the dialog starts to wear on me, then the plot goes off on some goofiness that doesn't work for me, and I am left with nothing but annoyance and/or disappointment. I will never pay money to see a Tarantino film; I just don't like his style. Many others do, and that's fine--it just doesn't work for me.

"They tap dance not, neither do they fart." --Greensleeves, on the Fig Men of the Imagination, in "Twice Upon a Time."
fulci420
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2013, 02:57:00 PM »

Well it sounds like you guys went in expecting to dislike it which is never a good way to appreciate a movie. Tarantino films always have stayed away from linear storytelling and you can back to even his most acclaimed film "Pulp Fiction" and find that the meandering parts are among the most memorable of the whole film. Now I am not a complete Tarantino fanboy and will admit that this approach backfires on occasion (Death Proof, and although I liked Inglorious on first viewing I feel it's meandering makes it a boring rewatch). This movie however was a different story, I thought you could maybe cut 10 minutes out of it tops. The funny parts had me and the audience howling, the brutal parts were as brutal as anything else I had seen all year, and the acting was uniformly fantastic. A rare spontaneous applause at the afternoon showing I saw when the credits rolled which I have not seen in years. To me while not the greatest artistic achievement in cinema of 2012 (I would give that to Amour or The Master), this was surely the most entertaining. 
ulthar

I AM serious, and stop calling me Shirley

« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2013, 05:08:17 PM »

Many others do, and that's fine--it just doesn't work for me.

No, no..that's not right.  What's wrong with you?  We must all like the same things (*).  Homogeneity Rules, Man!  There's just no place for Individual Taste!

(*) Especially if Professional Critics like it, ya dig?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Professor Hathaway:  I noticed you stopped stuttering.
Bodie:      I've been giving myself shock treatments.
Professor Hathaway: Up the voltage.

--Real Genius
Derf
Crazy Rabbity Thingy
Proofreader

Lagomorphs: menace or underutilized resource?

« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2013, 09:21:20 PM »

Many others do, and that's fine--it just doesn't work for me.

No, no..that's not right.  What's wrong with you?  We must all like the same things (*).  Homogeneity Rules, Man!  There's just no place for Individual Taste!

(*) Especially if Professional Critics like it, ya dig?

Yer right! My taste is the only correct taste! Tarantino should be banned from ever making another "film" and all his fanboys should be kicked in the groin by angry muskrats! Thank you for reminding me that everybody's opinions stink if they are not exactly like mine!  TeddyR TongueOut hot hot hot Lookingup

"They tap dance not, neither do they fart." --Greensleeves, on the Fig Men of the Imagination, in "Twice Upon a Time."
zombie no.one

Oookaay...

« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2013, 09:55:58 PM »

I liked Inglorious on first viewing I feel it's meandering makes it a boring rewatch).
funny you should say that, I sat down to watch it on tv the other day when it came on and only got past the opening scene and gave up. couldn't be bothered! really enjoyed it on first viewing. whereas I have probably watched pulp fiction 15+ times

The Mandela Effect is a Mandela Effect
dean

« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2013, 10:21:50 PM »

Overall I enjoyed Django Unchained but of does suffer from some severe pacing problems and some pointless cameos that really could have been streamlined out.

There's a lot to like about Tarantino's work as a film nerd, but he's by no means a perfect filmmaker and would really benefit from someone telling him 'does this need to be in there?'

------------The password will be: Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch
Archivist

« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2013, 02:26:56 AM »

Tarantino is like Wong Kar Wai in the matter of personal taste.  Some love his movies, others find them utterly boring self indulgences.  I fall in the middle somewhere: I enjoyed 2046, but I've never been able to watch Ashes of Time all the way through, despite the regular appearance of the delightful Charlie Yeung.  I very much enjoyed The Grandmasters, but I could also see a lot that I thought could have been done better, or differently.

I don't mind non-linear storytelling at all, but the way Tarantino does it just gets up my nose.  And his rambling tangents and juxtaposition of odd elements irritate me.  His ability to write dialogue and do character exposition is right up there, but he can stretch it out for too long.

"Many others since have tried & failed at making a watchable parasite slug movie" - LilCerberus
SynapticBoomstick
Cinematic Monster Fanatic from Weird New Jersey
Bad Movie Lover

One monster with extra cheese, hold the plot.

« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2013, 01:29:37 PM »

I went to see Django Unchained with my brother. And my Mom. And my sister.

My brother and I are big Tarantino fans. N***** is my Mom's least favorite word in the entire English language. Violence makes my sister uncomfortable.

Yup. Twirling

Kleel's rule is harsh :-B
HappyGilmore
B-Movie Kraken

I know Quack-Fu.

« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2013, 04:32:48 PM »

I don't 'hate' Tarantino. I find him hit-and-miss. I dug some movies he's been involved with: Pulp Fiction, Reservoir Dogs, True Romance, From Dusk Til Dawn. Other films, like Kill Bill 1&2, Jackie Brown, not so much.

"The path to Heaven runs through miles of clouded Hell."

Don’t get too close, it’s dark inside.
It’s where my demons hide, it’s where my demons hide.
Torgo

« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2013, 04:43:06 PM »

I thought that Django Unchained was one of the best films of 2012. I will admit that it's more of an acquired taste compared to some of Tarantino's other films like Pulp Fiction and Kill Bill.

"There is no way out of here. It'll be dark soon. There is no way out of here."
akiratubo

« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2013, 06:17:45 PM »

I'm so glad to learn that other people feel the same way I do about Tarantino.  He's a pretty good writer but I think he lacks the discipline and focus to be a good director.  Maybe he needs to work from someone else's script.

Kneel before Dr. Hell, the ruler of this world!
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

"Charlie,we're in HELL!"-"yeah,ain't it groovy?!"

« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2013, 03:20:37 PM »

I thought that Django Unchained was one of the best films of 2012. I will admit that it's more of an acquired taste compared to some of Tarantino's other films like Pulp Fiction and Kill Bill.

I just seen it last night-and I agree. It was fan-f**king-tastic. Bloody,funny,violent,exploitive. "These are some of my favorite things". And I liked all the cameos-Bruce Dern,Russ Tamblyn,Tom Savani,James Remar,Don Johnson,Don Stroud,Tom Wopat,Robert Carradine,and even the origanl Django Franco Nero!

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)
Interviewer-"Does Dracula ever end for you?
Lugosi-"No. Dracula-never ends."

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
https://www.tumblr.com/ronmerchant
zombie no.one

Oookaay...

« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2013, 09:28:26 PM »

Don't always like Tarantino's films but I always check them... until now. I just have this complete aversion to Leonardo Di Caprio, and Jamie Foxx. They're like annoyingly vacuous pretty-boy hollywood puppets and I cannot watch them. same with quite a lot of actors in fact... I thought I would have this problem with Brad Pitt in Inglorious Basterds but somehow I didn't. I also managed to tolerate him in Coen Bros' Burn After Reading. He's definitely on the outer limits of this weird 'celebrity actor' category though, for me. Leonardo Di Caprio just annoys me too much to even watch a film he's in by a director I enjoy. Wish Tarantino would use unknown actors
« Last Edit: April 22, 2013, 09:31:30 PM by zombie #1 » Logged

The Mandela Effect is a Mandela Effect
Pages: [1] 2
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Django Unchained (2013) « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.