Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 18, 2024, 09:55:15 PM
712916 Posts in 53040 Topics by 7722 Members
Latest Member: GenevaBarr
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  ESCAPE FROM PLANET EARTH (2013) « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: ESCAPE FROM PLANET EARTH (2013)  (Read 1880 times)
ulthar
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

I AM serious, and stop calling me Shirley

« on: February 17, 2013, 07:35:37 PM »

Caught this one at the theater yesterday and found it pleasantly enjoyable.  Imagine my surprise to learn that Metacritic has it at 4.5 and imdb polling shows a wan 5.3.  That statement was a bit sarcastic; I've come to expect the movies I enjoy to be low ranked by "critics" and those that see fit to vote on Internet sites.

This movie is not a "home run" like we'd expect from Pixar, Dreamworks or Big Sky (or a few other houses).  But, it's NOT bad.

The story is one of those "done to death" tales, but the "fun" of this movie is not in the story itself.  After all, it's a movie for children, and story matters less because THEY have NOT seen it 100 times.  In other words, I weep for the cynicism of today's movie "reviewers" that cannot go see a movie like this and judge it through a childlike lens.

Actually, that's VERY relevant to a conversation a friend and I had recently regarding the loss of the child inside us, a perplexing disease inflicting many of us over 30.

Back the movie...ESCAPE was enjoyable.  It had a few good laughs put in place for the adults in the audience, but these were not all slid-in-under-the-radar sex references.  Some were subtle movie references, and those that say it was not funny make me question their movie "trivial knowledge."

A lot of such subtle stuff was dropped in very off-the-cuff by background characters, and maybe, well, to be blunt, maybe this just went over the heads of such "can't laugh at anything not AMERICAN PIE style humor" movie goers.  Hollywood is, indeed, damaging the brain cells of a generation.

Ooops, sorry, again, I digress.  This movie has a BUNCH of subtle movie trivial humor.  If I got it, there must be more I missed.  My wife picked up a few I did not get.  

Three examples:

*As an alien space ship is crashing on earth, it passes green highway information signs for Area 48, Area 49 and Area 50, finally crashing just after that one.  I found it funny, and I heard more than a few Laughs Out Loud in the theater.

*Another, and this is the kind that really sneaks past throughout, a background character speaks to two other background characters....animated "extras" if you will, and says, "Peter, Jackson, come with me."  (Or something to that effect).  There were a few of these.

*The boys at the trailer park shouting "TORNADO!" only to find Scorch's ship had a BIG SIGN ON IT!

There was a good bit of old style Vaudevillian slapstick, too.

Okay, so let's say this kind of subtle stuff is not everyone's brand of humor.  I can live with that.

In addition to the humor, though, this film succeeded in creating some real tension in the action sequences, and there were a few moments when I was "on edge" wondering just how they'd resolve it.  So the story was predictable children's fare, but the action was not.  Or at least not necessarily.

The animation was well done and the film was good to look at.

The only thing I could not stand was the music.  It was awful.  I'm talking about the songs, not the score.  Sappy songs just did not fit the 'tone' of this movie at all.

We saw it at a reduced priced matinée in 2 D (reduced even for a matinée, something that theater does for certain show times).  For movie fans, those that have a "history" with cinema that span more than the last 5 years, it's worth a watch.

3.5 out of 5.  I had fun.  That's what I ask a movie to do for me.

Edit:  In case you wonder about why I characterize modern audiences as I do...here's a comment from this movie's IMDB discussion page:

it could be even better if it was a grown up film and allowed for the aliens swearing and a bit of the old ultraviolece etc

There you go.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2013, 07:38:40 PM by ulthar » Logged

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Professor Hathaway:  I noticed you stopped stuttering.
Bodie:      I've been giving myself shock treatments.
Professor Hathaway: Up the voltage.

--Real Genius
JayJayM12
Regulary relieves himself on hospitality...
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2013, 02:00:07 PM »

Glad to hear that you enjoyed it.  My little one has been asking to see it, so we plan to take him this weekend.  It's nice to know that I'll get some laughs out of it as well!

Check out my movie reviews and articles at:  www.cinedump.com<br /><br />Or, don\\\'t check them out - see if I care.  You\\\'re not my real mom anyway.  Unless, you are.  In which case, whatever, I\\\'ll do what I want.  It\\\'s my hot body.  Y\\\'all don\\\'t know me.
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  ESCAPE FROM PLANET EARTH (2013) « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.