Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 19, 2024, 04:52:10 AM
712926 Posts in 53040 Topics by 7722 Members
Latest Member: GenevaBarr
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  The Nuns of Gavarone (2013) « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: The Nuns of Gavarone (2013)  (Read 3407 times)
Trevor
Uncle Zombie and Eminent Shitologist
B-Movie Kraken

« on: February 19, 2013, 01:24:28 AM »

I saw this yesterday: great anti-war film featuring a commando team that have to swim from Italy to a Greek island, climb a five foot cliff to knock off a cloister of mad nuns who want to use their wimples to blow up everything in sight.  Wink Wink

With Pregory Geck, Navid Diven, Qntony Auayle, Btanley Saker, Qnthony Auinn, Prene Ipapas, Sia Gcala and Dames Jarren: fine unknown cast.  Thumbup

I know I can make it on my own if I try, but I'm searching for the Great Heart
To stand me by, underneath the African sky
A Great Heart to stand me by.
rebel_1812
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2013, 12:58:57 AM »

I wouldn't say this is an anti war film.  The mission was seen as a good thing.  All the enemy deaths are dehumanized.  It is a good film but it is more of pro-war adventure film.  A real anti-war tries to show how every war is a bad idea and every murder on the battle field is a tragedy.  Some good anti war films are Apocalypse Now, The Paths of Glory, Full Metal Jacket and etc.  By the way, Saving Private Ryan is not an anti war film for similar reasons.

BoyScoutKevin
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2013, 06:16:25 PM »

I wouldn't say this is an anti war film.  The mission was seen as a good thing.  All the enemy deaths are dehumanized.  It is a good film but it is more of pro-war adventure film.  A real anti-war tries to show how every war is a bad idea and every murder on the battle field is a tragedy.  Some good anti war films are Apocalypse Now, The Paths of Glory, Full Metal Jacket and etc.  By the way, Saving Private Ryan is not an anti war film for similar reasons.

Oh, do I agree.

I'd also add that the original story "The Guns of Navarone" was written by Scottish novelist Alistair Maclean. Who served in the Royal Navy during World War II both in the Atlantic, in the Med, and in the Pacific. And while he was never wounded in combat, he was believed to have been injured in a gunnery training accident on board his ship. But no doubt, he saw men die, both friends and foes, so he was well aware of what it was like to take a human life, which may be why the book is far less violent than the film version.

Some of his other books that take place during World War II. And there be spoliers ahead.

"Force 10 from Navarrone"
The sequel to the original, which was also made into a film with the same title. One of his few novels I have not read, but having seen the film version, it is a much lesser film than the original film.

"Where Eagles Dare"
Again made into a film, which again is much more violent than the novel. Indeed, if I can remember the novel correctly, it is one of the few novels set in Europe during World War II in which not one German character dies. Again, indeed, one of the heroes actually risks his life to save one of the German soldiers in the castle, when a fire breaks out in the castle.

"South by Java Head"
Where the German villain comes off much better than the Japanese in the book, and actually risks his life to save the English characters who are held by the Japanese and are about to be killed by them. And as far as I know never made into a film.

"HMS Ulysses"
His debut novel and based somewhat on his experiences, while he was in the Royal Navy. And I have it as being one of the greatest novels ever written about warfare at sea and with a rousing ending.  Where nearly every character in the book dies, and at the end, the ship, which is out of ammo, is reduced to firing illumination shells at the enemy, but still attacks a superior German ship, before it is sunk. Again, unfortunately, never made into a film.
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  The Nuns of Gavarone (2013) « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.